Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy Black Friday

Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar - $2599.95 ($700 off) + 10% Cash back ($260)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2021 7:48 am
Feb 17, 2015
54 posts
190 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
cgeorge1969 wrote: I could use some help. I have a wired 5.1 system through an older Denon receiver (10 Years). System sounds very good for a 5.1 system.
Is there a way I can somehow upgrade this system to support Dolby Atmos ?, without buying a new receiver and putting in new ceiling speakers ?

I will be getting a LG C1 this week and am open to suggestions. I realize I might lose a little bit by getting a sound bar but might gain in overall experience because of the upward facing speakers ?

Any help or advice is appreciated THANKS.
Unfortunately it's not going to work the way you (and I) wish it would, since the receivers are not equipped with Atmos decoding capabilities, so the Atmos extension in the bitstream is simply ignored and the regular 5.1 soundtrack is processed. This backwards compatibility is ensuring your Denon can still play the audio track, but you will not experience the full mix available on the disc or stream, but rather Dolby TrueHD or DD+, which your receiver needs to support.

When it comes to DTS:X, where the object location technology is - unlike Atmos - an audio codec, some manufacturers (like Denon) have released firmware upgrades to support any hemispherical speaker setup you might have. Luckily, just as Atmos, DTS:X is backwards compatible and your Denon will be able to play the track, given that it can support DTS-HD Master Audio.
Feb 28, 2011
670 posts
1551 upvotes
ottawa
CuddlyMonster wrote: It is complete nonsense - you can't defy laws of physics. Size matters. Tiny drivers can't produce the same sound as quality drives x4-x5 times larger. Looks at the measurments of the soundbars at rtings, even most expensive have a terrible frequency response. Rtings might give them high rating, but this rating is only in comparison to other soundbars.
And yet we defy those pesky laws of physics again and again… there are almost 200 horses under the hood of my little car… just think of those 200 horses stack under that little hood :)
So, people choose to buy expensive soundbar… what’s wrong with it? I see reviews for $20K speakers. Are they any better?
Looking at the reviews this ambeo looks really great, sounds great, top notch craftsmanship and engineering… if it would fit under my tv I would buy it myself. This would be less expensive than buying $2K traditional home theatre and redesign my living room and pull wires through the ceiling and/or walls.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3386 posts
1118 upvotes
BC
DonCapo wrote: I'm sorry but I fail to understand this post, there is no comparison, we are talking about soundbars connected to the tv and the difference between full home theaters, what you posted here is a very high end hi-fi wireless speakers only connected though wi-fi or ethernet, so maybe compare these to the sonnos play or google home max I think?, these may be very good, but that is a complete different category, and I saw that if you want a home theater from this company, its around $6k?? damn, talking about completely missing the point, no words here.
A sound bar gives faux surround. A good stereo will provide a fake centre channel and the effect of surround left and right speakers, but not behind. What I'm saying is this will sound better for movies and games over any sound bar that has these tiny drivers and some questionable fourier transformed crap DSP.

FYI Atmos, TrueHD or whatever codec these bars are pushing are absolutely useless and just tick boxes. The speakers in the sound bar are completely unable to utilize that added information, particularly in the bass and sub bass region due to the physical limitations of the drivers. Just run toslink to the speakers. A 2.0 PCM stereo set up at the same budget will provide a better experience for gaming/movies compared to this sound bar, I guarantee it.
Jul 4, 2020
10 posts
62 upvotes
Anyone have an experience with the IKEA Symfonisk lamps? In a perfect world I would like to run a beam Gen 2 with the IKEA lamps for rear/side 90°. It's a small bedroom, but I like the idea of easy surround sound. And hoping I can sell the wife based on the idea of Ikea lamps Grimacing Face
Dec 9, 2020
239 posts
339 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: And yet we defy those pesky laws of physics again and again… there are almost 200 horses under the hood of my little car… just think of those 200 horses stack under that little hood :)
So, people choose to buy expensive soundbar… what’s wrong with it? I see reviews for $20K speakers. Are they any better?
Looking at the reviews this ambeo looks really great, sounds great, top notch craftsmanship and engineering… if it would fit under my tv I would buy it myself. This would be less expensive than buying $2K traditional home theatre and redesign my living room and pull wires through the ceiling and/or walls.
"Looking great" is debatable, as about "Sounds great" - not really. None of the soundbars whether they cost $100 or $2500 do not have a good frequency response. This is a deal forum, so where is a deal? What do you get in return for all these money? You are not getting here quality sound for sure and considering that majority of these soundbars look similar, why not to get a much cheaper one - won't be a big difference in sound quality... especially for people who do not hear the difference between real audio systems vs soundbar. 🤣
May 23, 2009
75 posts
142 upvotes
Montreal
This is a really solid soundbar and worth it if you have the money to spend.

For those "but but but you can install speakers in the walls for the same price" people, you shouldn't make presumptions.

This soundbar appeals to me because I already have a 5.1.4 setup in a dedicated theatre room and don't need all of that again in the living room. I can simply get a soundbar, wall mount it under the TV and that's it. No media cabinet, nothing. It's a super clean elegant solution.

A lot of modern homes, including mine, have an open concept making it incredibly hard to set up even a simple 5.1 system. Mine is just one wall and a column. There's literally no place to put any speakers and if I did put them, they would be in the middle of the living room and I would have to remove the floor and pass the wires under the floor. No way that can be done for anywhere near the price of this soundbar.

Lastly, this soundbar is a beast, it weight more than 30 pounds. This isn't some shitty little Vizio that you buy at best buy for $200. It has proper up firing drivers and they're surprisingly big and very good quality.
Aug 8, 2018
78 posts
24 upvotes
$2600 for a sound bar? Now that is a great way of saying “ I have money and dont know how to invest it so i ended up buying this sound bar.” I’d rather buy 3 x 75 inch TVs / 1 in front and 1 on each side of me and have a huge curved screen with amazing surround sound coming from all 3 TVs
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
23270 posts
182028 upvotes
GTA
This is now another $260 off with 10% cashback today at Sennheiser.