Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Shaw Gateway XG1 HD-PVR $247.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 10:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd

[Best Buy] Shaw Gateway XG1 HD-PVR $247.99

Just noticed that Shaw's latest Gateway HD PVR cable box (XG1) is on sale for $247.99 for BF week starting Nov 27. Regular price is $347.99.

Might be a possible PM with Visions or ME, if they allow PM'ing for BF deals.

Note: unlike the previous version, the new XG1 apparently has a portal built-in to the main Gateway box, so no need for a separate portal for the main TV.
78 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Is this a better route than renting or rent-to-own if I want a 2 year contract? I bought my boxes in the past (Moto first then Pace).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Does this have a newer guide? The guide in the old Gateway is so horrible it's not even funny
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
flopticalcube wrote: Is this a better route than renting or rent-to-own if I want a 2 year contract? I bought my boxes in the past (Moto first then Pace).
If the rental rate is $15 per month per Shaw's website, then a 24 month contract would cost you $360 for 2 years. The Easy Own rate ($10 per month for 36 months) equals the same $360. At less than $250, the box is yours.

Does Shaw give a discount if you rent for 2 years?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
iHateShaw wrote: Does this have a newer guide? The guide in the old Gateway is so horrible it's not even funny
Not entirely sure. I'm still on the old Pace box but I've been thinking of upgrading to the Gateway system.

I heard that this Gateway does allow for remote programming via a Shaw app though.

If it helps, I did find a somewhat recent video on YT with someone's impressions on the XG1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOz750jSno
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
trystee wrote: Not entirely sure. I'm still on the old Pace box but I've been thinking of upgrading to the Gateway system.

I heard that this Gateway does allow for remote programming via a Shaw app though.

If it helps, I did find a somewhat recent video on YT with someone's impressions on the XG1:

Thanks

It looks like the same as old Gateway guide. The menu and everything is very poorly laid out
Oct 26, 2015
86 posts
79 upvotes
trystee wrote: Not entirely sure. I'm still on the old Pace box but I've been thinking of upgrading to the Gateway system.

You can program the old gateway via Shaw Gateway App.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
I'm the one who posted that video.

The menu system does take some getting used to, but I don't have an issue with it anymore. Some have said the speed of the guide and such is slow, but I haven't seen that on my own unit. Perhaps it slows down if multiple portals are connected to it but I can't confirm that as I just have one TV.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
trystee wrote: If the rental rate is $15 per month per Shaw's website, then a 24 month contract would cost you $360 for 2 years. The Easy Own rate ($10 per month for 36 months) equals the same $360. At less than $250, the box is yours.

Does Shaw give a discount if you rent for 2 years?
If you are getting a bundle and opt to commit for two years the rental is free and is, in fact, $5 a month cheaper than outright purchase. I might just go down that route.

Here is the legal stuff:
shaw wrote:^ The 24-month Service Agreement is available to subscribers of Personal or Premier TV combined with Internet 5 or higher, and does not apply to phone services. Under the 24-month Service Agreement, customers receive a complimentary HD Box rental, or a complimentary Gateway HDPVR rental in exchange for a 24-month commitment to subscribe to Shaw TV and Internet services (additional portal rentals are available for $5/mo each). Early termination fees apply and will be calculated based on $15/remaining month. Upon opting into the program, detailed terms and conditions will be provided within the Service Agreement documents. Service Agreements are not available in Ontario. A maximum of 6 TVs (requiring one Gateway HDPVR and 5 portals) can be connected.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Just as another option, the previous version is on kijiji, craigslist, used.ca etc. everywhere - typical going rate is $150-$200 for a gateway and at least two portals, still with plenty of warranty left. When you're buying it from someone, you can call Shaw to find out how long is remaining on the warranty.

Having a portal built into the main unit is nice for some people, but for me I prefer to keep my main unit in a closet in another room.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Deadlystrafe wrote: You can program the old gateway via Shaw Gateway App.
You're right, my bad. So, if the new Gateway has the same guide/menu/layout and uses the App, then the only difference is that it's a combined main/portal box?
Devhux wrote: I'm the one who posted that video.

The menu system does take some getting used to, but I don't have an issue with it anymore. Some have said the speed of the guide and such is slow, but I haven't seen that on my own unit. Perhaps it slows down if multiple portals are connected to it but I can't confirm that as I just have one TV.
Thanks for the video. My Pace has so many issues (looping/lost records/partial recordings/picture freezes/sound drops/etc) that I could probably endure a slower guide for stability.
flopticalcube wrote: If you are getting a bundle and opt to commit for two years the rental is free and is, in fact, $5 a month cheaper than outright purchase. I might just go down that route.
Good to know, thanks. With the upcoming pick and pay changes in 2016, I'm kinda hesitant to commit to Shaw for 2 years.
MaxPower19 wrote: Just as another option, the previous version is on kijiji, craigslist, used.ca etc. everywhere - typical going rate is $150-$200 for a gateway and at least two portals, still with plenty of warranty left. When you're buying it from someone, you can call Shaw to find out how long is remaining on the warranty.

Having a portal built into the main unit is nice for some people, but for me I prefer to keep my main unit in a closet in another room.
Good info, thanks. Just checked Visions and ME on the old Gateway system and the main unit is $122 (Visions and ME) with the portals $137 (Visions)/$138 (ME).
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
trystee wrote: Good to know, thanks. With the upcoming pick and pay changes in 2016, I'm kinda hesitant to commit to Shaw for 2 years.
I was thinking the same thing but looking at all the channels that we watch/record I doubt I could get it for less than the current offer. What is the pick and pay price likely to be? $5 a channel? We regularly watch about 10-15 channels over basic which are all save for one in the popular package.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3804 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
If you search on the forums, the PACE pvr is probably the worst pvr ever. I recall Shaw even giving the pvr away for free, your own it outright after 3yrs!!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
flopticalcube wrote: I was thinking the same thing but looking at all the channels that we watch/record I doubt I could get it for less than the current offer. What is the pick and pay price likely to be? $5 a channel? We regularly watch about 10-15 channels over basic which are all save for one in the popular package.
Hopefully it won't be $5 a channel (or, if it is, gets lowered if more channels are picked). I'm hoping for an all HD package and more HD channels. I hate paying for SD channels when I never watch any of them.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
kmchow wrote: If you search on the forums, the PACE pvr is probably the worst pvr ever. I recall Shaw even giving the pvr away for free, your own it outright after 3yrs!!
Trust me I've read many of the forums as I've had every issue the Pace seems to have been plagued with. I got mine when it went on sale at Visions many years ago and agree with the "probably the worst pvr ever" statement.

Does anyone have the newer XG1 with an expander HD and say 2 portals - 3 TVs total connected - that can comment on reliability and speed?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1764 posts
349 upvotes
Vancouver
Are there any deals on non-gateway shaw PVR's?
Oct 26, 2015
86 posts
79 upvotes
artofwar wrote: Are there any deals on non-gateway shaw PVR's?
If you have a SHAW retail location near you they usually have some sort of black Friday sale. If you call and ask I am sure they can tell you.
Feb 27, 2004
314 posts
17 upvotes
Does the Gateway still need an installer to come out and make it work? Or can I just buy a unit and remotely activate it, like I can with a non Gateway PVR?
You'll go broke saving money here....
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Btw, the guide on gateway IS dreadfully slow.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
The old Gateway guide was slow - haven't had an issue with the one on the XG1.

Also, it does not need an installer if you are just connecting the Gateway to a TV. Not sure about if you need one when adding portals.