Sony 55 A80j oled Geeksquad Openbox - 1274.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2022 9:49 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2017
53 posts
20 upvotes

[Best Buy] Sony 55 A80j oled Geeksquad Openbox - 1274.99

Looks like an okay deal for 55 inch oled TV. As usual, you roll a dice with bestbuy geeksquad openbox, hoping it doesn't come beaten up.

2 left at the time of posting for GTA area, free shipping
Last edited by KindGrapes on Nov 30th, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2953 posts
3212 upvotes
Surrey
I would’ve bitten @ $999. Still salty about that YMMV Costco deal
[OP]
Nov 9, 2017
53 posts
20 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: I would’ve bitten @ $999. Still salty about that YMMV Costco deal
Totally that’s a better deal if you are lucky enough to score one. That was ymmv at its finest.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3542 posts
2695 upvotes
What are reasons for "geek squad open box"? Cuz if that includes demo/floor models I'd stay the HELL away from this.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2423 posts
2037 upvotes
Canada
razrsharp wrote: What are reasons for "geek squad open box"? Cuz if that includes demo/floor models I'd stay the HELL away from this.
Some of the Geek Squad Open Box are new units just returned opened to a local store. I bought a 65” C1 for $1399 from the Langley Outlet and it was brand new. Plastic on screen and foam still taped on with remote and all accessories still sealed as well. I think it’s kinda luck of the draw.
Jan 30, 2008
468 posts
358 upvotes
I got the c2 42" geeksquad open box and while the box was opened the unit was brand new.
Jun 15, 2022
131 posts
199 upvotes
any tips to get open box deals? do you use a program/bot to check or you do it manually?
Jan 30, 2008
468 posts
358 upvotes
polymorph wrote: any tips to get open box deals? do you use a program/bot to check or you do it manually?
I just randomly checked one day.
Oct 16, 2018
138 posts
148 upvotes
jbone14 wrote: Some of the Geek Squad Open Box are new units just returned opened to a local store. I bought a 65” C1 for $1399 from the Langley Outlet and it was brand new. Plastic on screen and foam still taped on with remote and all accessories still sealed as well. I think it’s kinda luck of the draw.
Plastic on screen? Since when do these TVs have plastic on the screen?
Feb 11, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
The C1 actually comes with a plastic film on screen out of the box. I bought a 65 inch last year and I'm trying to sell it to upgrade to C2.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2423 posts
2037 upvotes
Canada
minimumtumbleweed wrote: Plastic on screen? Since when do these TVs have plastic on the screen?
The C1 comes with a full screen “screen protector” out of the box. You have to peel it off, similar to a new phone etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2450 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
minimumtumbleweed wrote: Plastic on screen? Since when do these TVs have plastic on the screen?
I believe this is very common with LG oled, I haven't removed the plastic on my A1 bought 9 months ago. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Currently happy customer with Koodo and Virgin Mobile.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1140 posts
917 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: I would’ve bitten @ $999. Still salty about that YMMV Costco deal
factorydirect has 55" LG c1 for 999 refurb

people here despise FD however if you're interested in open box I can't see much of a difference. Try it in store
Dec 19, 2018
158 posts
112 upvotes
I've seen the 65" from those shady outlet stores for $1300. Open box. No returns. 6 month warranty
Oct 11, 2020
2 posts
I got this along with a 4 year warranty (total coverage including burn-in) for $1700 all in. I’ve been sitting on a $200 Best Buy gift card for months so pulled the trigger. TV was basically brand new with in box. Can anyone explain why the warranty varies so much at Best Buy with OLEDs? The 4 year warranty is minimum $450+ on every other OLED. For some reason this one was only $200? Either way I’m extremely happy with the TV absolutely stunning picture.
Nov 28, 2022
26 posts
7 upvotes
musiclover4 wrote: I've seen the 65" from those shady outlet stores for $1300. Open box. No returns. 6-month warranty
Yes, I was considering one from there. They said it was a brand-new unused unit from the manufacturer directly but it was marked down due to distressed packaging.

So I asked to see the TV and It was clearly used and there are a bunch of scratches on the remote and the internal packaging are damaged and it does not come with a manual.
I asked about their 6 months warranty, they said it is through the manufacturer, but I would have to bring it to them, and it does not cover burn-in.

I would have bought the TV if they were honestly and said it was an open box or potentially a refurb unit, now i don't think they would even honour their warranty policy, so I walked away..
Jul 31, 2012
637 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
Headbeancounter wrote: I believe this is very common with LG oled, I haven't removed the plastic on my A1 bought 9 months ago. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You’re supposed to for heat dissipation
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2450 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
pkeep22 wrote: You’re supposed to for heat dissipation
The screen does not feel warm but I have removed the plastic cover anyway, thanks.
Currently happy customer with Koodo and Virgin Mobile.
Dec 19, 2018
158 posts
112 upvotes
BigToto wrote: Yes, I was considering one from there. They said it was a brand-new unused unit from the manufacturer directly but it was marked down due to distressed packaging.

So I asked to see the TV and It was clearly used and there are a bunch of scratches on the remote and the internal packaging are damaged and it does not come with a manual.
I asked about their 6 months warranty, they said it is through the manufacturer, but I would have to bring it to them, and it does not cover burn-in.

I would have bought the TV if they were honestly and said it was an open box or potentially a refurb unit, now i don't think they would even honour their warranty policy, so I walked away..
Oh wow! Good to know. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like that one had a lot of use. There is a way to check how many hours it's been used. I talked to one of them and they said it's because they buy old stock. The other one said it's open box. Sounds like it's open box returns. I have a feeling that most of these TV's have some sort of issue to be returned and it's a little like playing the lottery to get a good one.
Nov 28, 2022
26 posts
7 upvotes
musiclover4 wrote: Oh wow! Good to know. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like that one had a lot of use. There is a way to check how many hours it's been used. I talked to one of them and they said it's because they buy old stock. The other one said it's open box. Sounds like it's open box returns. I have a feeling that most of these TV's have some sort of issue to be returned and it's a little like playing the lottery to get a good one.
Unfortunately, they only show you the TV by playing a 4K video from Youtube, they would not let you do anything or use the remote. I've spoke to another private seller from Kijiji and he bought it from one of those outlet stores and now the TV had a dead pixel after couple days of use and they are unable get hold of the store to honour the warrenty.