Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Sony a7 II Mirrorless Camera with FE 28-70mm Lens Kit, Extra Battery & WD My Passport Ultr Ext 4TB HD $1,369.98

Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

[Best Buy] Sony a7 II Mirrorless Camera with FE 28-70mm Lens Kit, Extra Battery & WD My Passport Ultr Ext 4TB HD $1,369.98

Sony a7 II Mirrorless Camera with FE 28-70mm Lens Kit, Extra Battery & External Hard Drive

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sony ... e/B0011474
Bundle Overview

Sony a7 II Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera with FE 28-70mm Lens Kit
WD My Passport Ultra 4TB USB-C Portable External Hard Drive (WDBFTM0040BBL-WESN) - Blue
Sony InfoLithium Battery for Sony Digital Cameras (NPFW50)

Amazon and London Drugs has the old A6000 two lens kit for $749

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NO1T55I

https://www.londondrugs.com/sony-a6000- ... 81817.html
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 12th, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1666 posts
1558 upvotes
Montr
A year ago the 1 lens kit a6000 was 580$. I was tempted but I really dont like Sony jpeg color
Mar 11, 2008
495 posts
1045 upvotes
London
This is my current body, I don't regret choosing it over the mk3 as I put the difference into getting some lenses. Happy to answer questions.
Mar 18, 2013
530 posts
1165 upvotes
Toronto
mrumble wrote: This is my current body, I don't regret choosing it over the mk3 as I put the difference into getting some lenses. Happy to answer questions.
Cool, thanks for taking questioms, got a few for you:

1-do you use it w Sigma s MC-11 adapter ? If yes, how s the experience w native Canon lenses?

2-what flash do u have for this cam?

3-how s the focus indoor, importanly the eye-focus?

4-what lens do you have/recommend?

TIA
Nov 12, 2009
570 posts
657 upvotes
This is a great deal for this camera. Thanks OP!
Apr 20, 2008
747 posts
975 upvotes
Is this worth upgrading from a6000?
Sep 22, 2012
890 posts
187 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a good deal for the Sony a7 II right?
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A
198886 wrote: Is this worth upgrading from a6000?
I would say so, yes. Obviously contingent on your use case but this is an easy step up to the world of full frame. A plethora of things that this does that the a6000 doesn't would take some time to list so best bet would be to read some reviews, compare the specs...unless you were joking in your question? Anyway, again, yes it's worth the upgrade.
Mar 11, 2008
495 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Henry626 wrote: Cool, thanks for taking questioms, got a few for you:

1-do you use it w Sigma s MC-11 adapter ? If yes, how s the experience w native Canon lenses?

2-what flash do u have for this cam?

3-how s the focus indoor, importanly the eye-focus?

4-what lens do you have/recommend?

TIA
1) No. I don't use Canon glass although my understanding is that it's mediocre (based on what I've read). If you're saving yourself a few grand by keeping old lenses then you'll probably be motivated to accept slower focus, worse low light focus performance, etc. But everything I read encouraged native E lenses over adapted Canon.

2) Neewer GN60 $50 at Amazon. It's a copy of the Godox TT600S. I managed to score an Amazon Warehouse return of the whole kit with remote trigger and soft box for an insane price.

3) Focus is good as long as the face is lit in the view screen... It does take more light for the eye AF to work but I've had good results so far under ambient lighting indoors but not low light. The mk 2 doesn't let you choose which eye and although it almost always (for me) picks the closest the have been times where the farthest somehow gets picked. The DMF mode works when eye AF doesn't, I just let it lock in on the face then manually adjust it from there. I actually stopped using focus peaking and switched to a +3 sharpness effect (I don't shoot jpg so it doesn't effect the actual file, just the preview).

4) Daily driver: Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (HIGHLY recommend for kit replacement), I have an adapted Sony a Mount 70-300G (excellent value for money, AF isn't too bad), a 14mm manual Rokinon. Best value primes are the 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 although that depends on hobbyist vs professional use. For professional, it'll cost you more money. I have my eye on a Rokinon 35mm f2.8 to try my hand at street because it's tiny, cheap and seems well reviewed by I haven't got it yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
mrumble wrote: This is my current body, I don't regret choosing it over the mk3 as I put the difference into getting some lenses. Happy to answer questions.
Some people claim that the A7.2 focusing system (esp. C-AF) and sensor performance/processing are worse than newer APS-C cameras. In your opinion, are these claims overblown/false. TIA.

- I have some m43 lenses right now, but I am wondering if I should stay with the system. (Tried the G9 in store, but the viewfinder is so bad IMO. I just couldn't live with the pincushion viewfinder. The M1.2 is overpriced IMO. So I'm thinking of switching system.)
- Wondering how is the A7.2 compared to the X-T3/30 and the A6400. If the A7.2 performance is generally worse than the APS-C, then it makes sense to get the APS-C cam instead -- as the lenses are cheaper + lighter.
Mar 11, 2008
495 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Fllay wrote: Some people claim that the A7.2 focusing system (esp. C-AF) and sensor performance/processing are worse than newer APS-C cameras. In your opinion, are these claims overblown/false. TIA.

- I have some m43 lenses right now, but I am wondering if I should stay with the system. (Tried the G9 in store, but the viewfinder is so bad IMO. I just couldn't live with the pincushion viewfinder. The M1.2 is overpriced IMO. So I'm thinking of switching system.)
- Wondering how is the A7.2 compared to the X-T3/30 and the A6400. If the A7.2 performance is generally worse than the APS-C, then it makes sense to get the APS-C cam instead -- as the lenses are cheaper + lighter.
- I went from an a5000 to the a7ii. It is miles better than that. I can't say that I have ever compared it to the newer APSC cameras so I wouldn't want to make such a broad statement. It works well for what I use it for, I can't comment beyond that. There are lots of YouTube videos that compare every combination of camera, that might be a good place to start. It is a bit unfair to judge a camera released in 2014 against sensors of cameras released 4 years later, so yes it probably lags behind the a6400. If that's a limitation and you still want full frame, you'd have to cough up the extra dough for the a7iii or a7Riii. For the record, my default is AF-C with DMF being my second most used autofocus mode and they work for me. And as cliche as it is: the camera doesn't make great pictures, you do.

- There are some excellent reasons to stay with APSC. If APSC will suit your needs, that's the way to go. I just think people need to be honest with themselves about what they want a camera for. If you're just posting to Instagram at 2048px or taking family pics then APSC will be more than you ever need.

I bought my a7ii used when someone needed the newer and "better" a7iii. I saved a ton of cash and still got in-body stabilization (the a7 doesn't have that). One thing the a7ii does that the iii doesn't is aftermarket apps (search OpenMemories), so that's an advantage... but I only get 1 card slot. It's all trade-offs.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2005
1254 posts
387 upvotes
North York
This looks like a pretty good deal! Might have to pick this up and sell off my mk i ...
Sep 3, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
I just placed a reservation for this, thank you! Also it's $1399 with the kit lens (28-70mm) at all the retailers selling Sony cameras aka London Drugs, Henry's, Bestbuy and etc if anyone else is wondering
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
mrumble wrote: - I went from an a5000 to the a7ii. It is miles better than that. I can't say that I have ever compared it to the newer APSC cameras so I wouldn't want to make such a broad statement. It works well for what I use it for, I can't comment beyond that. There are lots of YouTube videos that compare every combination of camera, that might be a good place to start. It is a bit unfair to judge a camera released in 2014 against sensors of cameras released 4 years later, so yes it probably lags behind the a6400. If that's a limitation and you still want full frame, you'd have to cough up the extra dough for the a7iii or a7Riii. For the record, my default is AF-C with DMF being my second most used autofocus mode and they work for me. And as cliche as it is: the camera doesn't make great pictures, you do.

- There are some excellent reasons to stay with APSC. If APSC will suit your needs, that's the way to go. I just think people need to be honest with themselves about what they want a camera for. If you're just posting to Instagram at 2048px or taking family pics then APSC will be more than you ever need.

I bought my a7ii used when someone needed the newer and "better" a7iii. I saved a ton of cash and still got in-body stabilization (the a7 doesn't have that). One thing the a7ii does that the iii doesn't is aftermarket apps (search OpenMemories), so that's an advantage... but I only get 1 card slot. It's all trade-offs.
Thanks for the reply. I want fast AF for wildlife/BIF, so this camera would be good enough for my need? -- given that for ~ the same price-slightly more, there are APS-C with better DR and AF system. I was hoping there would be someone with hands-on experience on both newer APS-C and A7.2 who can confirm that A7.2 is better than what some netizens say. (Most netizens seem to recommend A6500 over A7.2 for action photography.) Because at this price, the A7.2 is an awesome deal. Per DxO, the A7.2 should have better high ISO performance than the A6500 (the A6400's should be similar?). Decision...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1261 posts
602 upvotes
I've been thinking about this for the last day or so since I came across this deal. Watched a few videos about the camera and in particular, this one, commenting on the quality of the deal when it last showed up a few months ago. The RFD thread is in the expired forum. The body and kit lens is $1399 most places. The bonuses vary by dealer.

E.g. Henry's
  • bonus battery and 64GB SD card free with purchase. Note 1% on Ebates.
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A
Fllay wrote: Found this site: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/sony-a6500-vs-sony-a7ii/
A6500 for action and A7ii for landscape per the reviewer. I like to do both lol. Don't really want to spend too much on the A7.3 for now. Decision...
I would think for BIF you want hand held and fast AF. With APS-C you get the crop factor advantage as well which means your given glass will get better range. My understanding is that there's a fair contingent out there that swear by the A6500 and a fast prime.... ymmv of course. Sigh. My condolences for your possible paralysis by analysis. Happens to the best of us. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8553 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
I was thinking of ordering this but there's a 15% restocking fee on full frame cameras so I can't test it without losing $205 if I don't keep it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)