Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Sony A80J 55" $1999 / 65" $2599 / 77" $3999 (Costco, BestBuy, Visions, and others) - Expired

Jun 12, 2018
573 posts
593 upvotes
Ontario
dinkeye wrote: Upgraded from a X900H to this TV. While it's a beautiful set, I kinda miss the brightness of the X900H. This is just not all that bright... I'm on the fence of returning this as a result
I returned a 65in C1 I thought looked dim compared to an older LCD. Crazy picture quality but dim. Picked up a much brighter 75in X95J for a bit more and am happy with it. Not the picture quality of an OLED but very good. And bright. Living room TV with daytime viewing so that's important.
Mar 2, 2008
139 posts
5 upvotes
I'm trying out both the 65" A80j and C1. Out of the box the A80J has better colour accuracy (skin tones look more natural) and shadow detail compared to the C1. My biggest gripe with the with the A80J is the screen coating, even at night with just the family room lights on the screen has blue-ish grey haze which no longer looks pure black compared to the LG C1. It almost defeats the point of oled with any ambient lighting. If I dim the room lights to about 20% or lower than it's no longer an issue, but that wouldn't be as often for family room viewing.

If I can adjust the C1 to come closer to the Sony's accuracy, it might be better the option for my room. If the TV was going to be used mainly in a dark room then the A80J without a doubt. I wish the 65 A80J had the same screen coating as the LG C1.
Dec 8, 2008
275 posts
86 upvotes
All 3 sizes are back in stock at costco!!

Grabbed one and will price adjust if Boxing Day gives us a better deal; assuming it will drop $200 to $2400 again.
Dec 16, 2017
6 posts
soconnell74 wrote: Had a delivery scheduled for tomorrow and they just cancelled and offered Jan 5th instead. Looks like i might have guessed right, they said that the supply is stuck in Vancouver.
I'm getting mine Dec 29th — from Eastern Canada. I talked to the delivery company Costco uses, today, and she said a bunch of them came available to people in Ontario this week, and are making their way across the country. There *are* some here too, on a boat. But there's a labor shortage at the port, and they haven't been able to get them unloaded, apparently. So thats the inside scoop. I'm sure you're keeping your eye on the scheduling website for new dates (I saw Dec 30th available earlier tonight). But it's also maybe worth calling them and seeing if there's anything they can do to help...
Banned
Dec 20, 2021
8 posts
4 upvotes
Sony is a luxury brand and very hard to afford it's item. even after discount!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1201 posts
295 upvotes
Oakville
MonsterDuckMadness wrote: I'm getting mine Dec 29th — from Eastern Canada. I talked to the delivery company Costco uses, today, and she said a bunch of them came available to people in Ontario this week, and are making their way across the country. There *are* some here too, on a boat. But there's a labor shortage at the port, and they haven't been able to get them unloaded, apparently. So thats the inside scoop. I'm sure you're keeping your eye on the scheduling website for new dates (I saw Dec 30th available earlier tonight). But it's also maybe worth calling them and seeing if there's anything they can do to help...
Interesting. I ordered my X95J from Costco a few days after BF, and my delivery is scheduled for next friday (Dec 31st). I guess you're right, they're stuck out west.
Feb 4, 2006
223 posts
47 upvotes
Markham
Rolled the dice and found the 65” a80j for $1999 refurb. Will check out the panel and see how it is. Hopefully all good.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2861 posts
2113 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Any word on the 2022 Sony OLED's? I read Sony and Samsung (Samsung sourced) will be deploying new screens for their OLED's next season. Seems to be a fix for the darker picture but I don't pretend to understand the tech.

Just wondering if it's worth it to wait a few months and see what comes out.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1637134795

[OP]
Oct 22, 2021
123 posts
267 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Any word on the 2022 Sony OLED's? I read Sony and Samsung (Samsung sourced) will be deploying new screens for their OLED's next season. Seems to be a fix for the darker picture but I don't pretend to understand the tech.

Just wondering if it's worth it to wait a few months and see what comes out.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1637134795

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, but from what I understand only Sony's A95K Master Series OLED with have the Samsung QD-OLED (panels yields are only 30-50% suggesting they will be very expensive). The A95K will likely be $10k+ and probably won't release until Fall 2022.

The main advantages of QD-OLED, from what I understand, is that it will be brighter and have a higher color volume. Normally OLED's have 3 color filters for RGB, but QD-OLED emits blue light which is then converted into RGB by the quantum dot filter. This reduces energy loss and simplifies the OLED panel structure.

It's also possible the panel life will be greater but nobody knows for sure.
Dec 27, 2007
137 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
The 77" A80J will probably drop another $1k by this time next year once the new models roll out so I'll wait until then.

People complain about the lower brightness, but the ability to view the screen in a very bright room or with sunshine hitting the screen isn't worth the price premium and size reduction. The 65" A90J costs $300 more than the 77" A80J for slightly more brightness. Dim your room lights and you'll be fine.
Feb 4, 2006
223 posts
47 upvotes
Markham
I just set-up our 65" A80J and wow. Mind you, I'm coming from a 9 year old Sony HX850.....but this is night and difference. I'm in a fairly 'bright room' during the day....but have no issues and the image really "pops" out at you. At least that's how my 6 year old describes it and I agree with her.
BusinessGrad.ca - Blog dedicated to business students and graduates.
Jun 19, 2016
70 posts
56 upvotes
Leask
Got my 77” from costco paired with sonos system..coming from vizio p65-f1..so far so good.
Images
  • 51849906-137D-4B6C-BB3A-CE3052F26988.jpeg
  • ED956023-D38D-44A9-AEE3-835C7078C941.jpeg
  • 36019ABC-5241-4FE4-A8EF-8833C88BE65B.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1617 posts
901 upvotes
SW Ontario
Bitoshi wrote: Take everything I say with a grain of salt, but from what I understand only Sony's A95K Master Series OLED with have the Samsung QD-OLED (panels yields are only 30-50% suggesting they will be very expensive). The A95K will likely be $10k+ and probably won't release until Fall 2022.

The main advantages of QD-OLED, from what I understand, is that it will be brighter and have a higher color volume. Normally OLED's have 3 color filters for RGB, but QD-OLED emits blue light which is then converted into RGB by the quantum dot filter. This reduces energy loss and simplifies the OLED panel structure.

It's also possible the panel life will be greater but nobody knows for sure.
Seems about right from what I understand as well. I'd only add that Samsung is later to the game than LG so they might have a few more problems to iron out making larger panels. Granted, this is basically what you said with the low panel yield, but could also translate into little hardware issues.

So it's one of those cases where the tech is probably better, but it might take a year or two for that to be realized.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1617 posts
901 upvotes
SW Ontario
Alaric wrote: I just set-up our 65" A80J and wow. Mind you, I'm coming from a 9 year old Sony HX850.....but this is night and difference. I'm in a fairly 'bright room' during the day....but have no issues and the image really "pops" out at you. At least that's how my 6 year old describes it and I agree with her.
lol, I have to envy your 6 year old. These large, thin, OLED TV's are pretty darned close to having a "holodeck", which has been a fantasy since I was 6. With large OLED screens and graphics processing like Unreal Engine 5, kids today are going to grow up with virtual reality close to the holodeck, just lacking that tactile element. That's pretty cool.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1238 posts
72 upvotes
how much does the extended warranty cost at Costco? for the 77 inch A80J?

I have a bright room and was wondering which one I should choose? the 77" A80J? or the 85 inch X91J? for my budget I don't want to go higher.

Also, what do people thinkg about buying from Teletime? I think the A80J can be had for less than $4000.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2244 posts
233 upvotes
hello99 wrote: how much does the extended warranty cost at Costco? for the 77 inch A80J?

I have a bright room and was wondering which one I should choose? the 77" A80J? or the 85 inch X91J? for my budget I don't want to go higher.

Also, what do people thinkg about buying from Teletime? I think the A80J can be had for less than $4000.
Its 99$ for the extended warranty at Costco - well worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1238 posts
72 upvotes
addicted2it wrote: Its 99$ for the extended warranty at Costco - well worth it.
Oh wow...is it for an extra year only?