Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Sony A80J 55" $1999 / 65" $2599 / 77" $3999 (Costco, BestBuy, Visions, and others) - Expired

Aug 20, 2011
129 posts
118 upvotes
hv6478 wrote: I imagine very few people are in this camp. With the right factors, you could, perhaps, be better off with the X90J. But OLED is one of those "once you go OLED you can't go back" type of things for, I would say, almost everyone who buys one.

I recommend trying them out from a place that has easy returns and deciding that way. You probably still have some time this year to do that dance.

All the best.
I already have the A80J and love it. But cause I jumped from a 2011 Sony 1080p. I just never gave a chance to the X90j which was my original plan. Like I love my oled but i mostly stream from Netflix and never got to try anything else to compare so of course I’m impressed
Aug 20, 2011
129 posts
118 upvotes
Bitoshi wrote: The only reasons I could imagine that happening is if you get really annoyed with ABL, you can't stand the stutter that comes with OLED's instantons response time, or you're worried about burn-in.

I had an X950G for nearly two years before replacing it with this A80J. The A80J is vastly superior in terms of PQ imo, the only downside is that it's not as bright.
This is what I need to hear. So you do see a big difference ?
[OP]
Oct 22, 2021
123 posts
267 upvotes
guallox wrote: This is what I need to hear. So you do see a big difference ?
The best way I could describe is that OLED gives you a 3D, sharp, uniform, life-like image whereas the X950G produced a 2D, soft, dull image. I noticed a big difference when watching the display in a dark room*.

If you compare them both in a bright room** the X950G looks just as good or even slightly better, but in a darker room there's not contest, the X950G looks terrible in comparison.

The X950G has tons of blooming (light leakage around bright objects like sub-titles) and "grey" blacks. The viewing angles are also terrible and cause the edges of the display to look washed out even when viewing the tv straight-on. Also, Sony LEDS have vignetting around the corners which can be fairly annoying.

The main advantages the X90J would have is that it's slightly brighter in HDR, much brighter in SDR (since it doesn't have ABL), and doesn't experience burn-in.

*My "dark room" is my bedroom with 1 small window.
**My "Bright Room" is my living room with 6 large windows each getting direct sun-light.
Oct 27, 2021
15 posts
20 upvotes
guallox wrote: I already have the A80J and love it. But cause I jumped from a 2011 Sony 1080p. I just never gave a chance to the X90j which was my original plan. Like I love my oled but i mostly stream from Netflix and never got to try anything else to compare so of course I’m impressed
I didn't get an A80J but I did buy a LG C1 which is a very similar TV and ended up returning it for the X90J.

OLED looks better than any LCD TV. I won't try to pretend otherwise to justify my own decision. If you want the best of the best stick with the OLED. If you downgrade you're going to notice the differences immediately. For me it just came down to price. It wasn't that I couldn't afford the OLED but I just felt I couldn't justify the jump in cost, especially when the X90J went on sale for around $1500. I personally didn't feel like the improvements of OLED were worth an extra nearly $1000 dollars over what a nice LCD TV could do.

I'm not a TV enthusiast by any means though. My previous TV was a 40 inch Samsung that TD gave away for opening an account in like 2016 that I still use upstairs with the kids. Honestly I still think it looks fine. It's not amazing or anything but it gets the job done.
Aug 20, 2011
129 posts
118 upvotes
Bitoshi wrote: The best way I could describe is that OLED gives you a 3D, sharp, uniform, life-like image whereas the X950G produced a 2D, soft, dull image. I noticed a big difference when watching the display in a dark room*.

If you compare them both in a bright room** the X950G looks just as good or even slightly better, but in a darker room there's not contest, the X950G looks terrible in comparison.

The X950G has tons of blooming (light leakage around bright objects like sub-titles) and "grey" blacks. The viewing angles are also terrible and cause the edges of the display to look washed out even when viewing the tv straight-on. Also, Sony LEDS have vignetting around the corners which can be fairly annoying.

The main advantages the X90J would have is that it's slightly brighter in HDR, much brighter in SDR (since it doesn't have ABL), and doesn't experience burn-in.

*My "dark room" is my bedroom with 1 small window.
**My "Bright Room" is my living room with 6 large windows each getting direct sun-light.
Thank you, you exactly described what I experienced so I am not crazy seeing things. In the OLED I feel thinks are like 3D like there is a lot of depth on the screen. I just wanted to make sure that the X90J would have not been the same. But I understand now and then I am extremely happy with my purchase. I really love watching movies on it.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2114 posts
979 upvotes
Slightly off topic... would anyone be able to chime in if the Sanus SLF226-B3 Full Motion Mount at $139 from Costco would be any good for my precious A80J 65"? Any other mount that may be good from Costco.ca? I have the $350 online voucher from the black friday deal that I can use. I need something that can swivel left and right.

thanks in advance.
Aug 20, 2011
129 posts
118 upvotes
Looks like that one will work perfect for your purposes. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 20, 2011
129 posts
118 upvotes
manho wrote: Slightly off topic... would anyone be able to chime in if the Sanus SLF226-B3 Full Motion Mount at $139 from Costco would be any good for my precious A80J 65"? Any other mount that may be good from Costco.ca? I have the $350 online voucher from the black friday deal that I can use. I need something that can swivel left and right.

thanks in advance.
Looks like that one will work perfect for your purposes.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2747 posts
1654 upvotes
Bitoshi wrote: It's not too bad, but you could probably bring them down more on the warranty. For a $2400 TV the lowest they would probably go is ~$200 I imagine (depends on the sales rep or manager).

For example, some people got the 65" A8H at $1999 along with the 4 year warranty for $150 a month ago. YMMV. If they won't budge try and find another sales rep/manager or you could try a different store.
FYI - my A8H 65" crapped out after 1 year. Got sent to a repair center and they said the panel had to be replaced.
Apr 21, 2020
9 posts
3 upvotes
About to return my 65" LG C1 for an A80J instead. I don't know why, but I think the a80j looked better in Best Buy but it's possible they just had a nicer demo video.

Anyone in Vancouver want my unopened 65" lg c1? I paid $2200ish taxes already included.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3064 posts
1103 upvotes
Lévis
ElProfessor wrote: About to return my 65" LG C1 for an A80J instead. I don't know why, but I think the a80j looked better in Best Buy but it's possible they just had a nicer demo video.

Anyone in Vancouver want my unopened 65" lg c1? I paid $2200ish taxes already included.
The a80j actually look better. This is why it's recommanded for movies enthousiasts. The C1 is better for gamers. There might be others slight differences.
Pourquoi pas?
Apr 19, 2009
304 posts
208 upvotes
Costco delivered the A80J today, and I now have the 65 C1 and 65 A80J side by side. I've (amateurly) calibrated the white point and color as close as possible to each other. Side by side, they've got to be almost 97% the same. After watching almost all the reviews, I expected the A80J to come out ahead in all SDR/HDR/DV movie PQ tests (I don't game). However, to my surprise, the C1 actually seemed to just have the slightest amount more pop, depth, and color vibrancy. But again.... they're like 98% the same picture and I am really really nitpicking.

I'm leaning towards return the A80J, but it's a really hard choice. The Google TV OS on the A80J is better than the LG webOS, but I'm not sure it's $100 better. The remote on the A80J is also better than the C1, but also not $100 better. The C1 screen is thinner and the back panel is less bulk too.

Disclaimer: My C1 has about 100 hours of break in, while the A80J has 1 hour
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9578 posts
7213 upvotes
Kootenays
snoshy wrote: Costco delivered the A80J today, and I now have the 65 C1 and 65 A80J side by side. I've (amateurly) calibrated the white point and color as close as possible to each other. Side by side, they've got to be almost 97% the same. After watching almost all the reviews, I expected the A80J to come out ahead in all SDR/HDR/DV movie PQ tests (I don't game). However, to my surprise, the C1 actually seemed to just have the slightest amount more pop, depth, and color vibrancy. But again.... they're like 98% the same picture and I am really really nitpicking.

I'm leaning towards return the A80J, but it's a really hard choice. The Google TV OS on the A80J is better than the LG webOS, but I'm not sure it's $100 better. The remote on the A80J is also better than the C1, but also not $100 better. The C1 screen is thinner and the back panel is less bulk too.

Filling landfills, 1 TV at a time. :facepalm:
Jan 26, 2020
208 posts
151 upvotes
snoshy wrote: Costco delivered the A80J today, and I now have the 65 C1 and 65 A80J side by side. I've (amateurly) calibrated the white point and color as close as possible to each other. Side by side, they've got to be almost 97% the same. After watching almost all the reviews, I expected the A80J to come out ahead in all SDR/HDR/DV movie PQ tests (I don't game). However, to my surprise, the C1 actually seemed to just have the slightest amount more pop, depth, and color vibrancy. But again.... they're like 98% the same picture and I am really really nitpicking.

Sony buys screens from lg but uses diff processor. I would keep LG
[OP]
Oct 22, 2021
123 posts
267 upvotes

If you noticed the C1 having more pop it could be that you're viewing it in a brighter room. The A80J's semi-matte coating will reduce contrast in comparison the the C1's glossy coating when more ambient light is present. In a dark room both should look nearly identical.

I compared my 65" A80J and 55" C1 side-by-side myself as well, and I agree they look basically identical 95% of the time. However, after a few more weeks of comparing them, I'm starting to notice the differences more and more. I noticed the A80J has better screen uniformity and I prefer the remote, OS, and the picture quality. Motion handling seems slightly more natural, colors in HDR pop slightly more, and the picture looks sharper/more detailed. At first I didn't like the extra detail/sharpness since I thought it was un-natural, but it's starting to grow on me.

One thing I noticed in particular is that the A80J seems to maintain color saturation in HDR for certain colors much better. For example, when playing God Of War on my PS5 I noticed that fire tends to looks slightly purple/pinkish on the C1 compared the vibrant, saturated red I get on my A80J. I believe Vincent Teoh on HDTVtest mentioned this as well, and it has to do with how Sony deals with white sub-pixel dilution in HDR (Sony uses less white sub-pixel boosting in HDR which results in less color de-saturation).

The other problem I have with the C1 is that it's factory calibrated with LG's HDR tone-mapping turned on. This is a problem because you need to turn this off to have correct gamma and colors in HDR. With HDR tone-mapping turned off the gamma curve becomes slightly boosted at the lower end resulting in black crush. The A80J's factory calibration is already accurate resulting in less black crush and shadow detail loss. This is unfortunate since the C1 can actually achieve better shadow detail than the A80J after professional calibration.

I also noticed that my C1 emits a buzzing noise from the power supply while in stand-by (fairly common on LG OLED's), and the power cable is not detachable which concerns me if it ever gets damaged. I also appreciate the A80J's better build quality. With the C1 I sometimes worry that it's flimsy screen might get damaged someday.

I've decided to return my 55" C1 once my 55" A80J arrives.
May 26, 2011
185 posts
210 upvotes

I agree that they're similar, but I had them both too and returned the C1. I came to a different conclusion than you. I noticed the opposite - the image pops more on the A80J, especially in HDR. It was even more noticeable in HDR games, but I observed it in movie/TV shows too. Things felt a bit flat on the C1 - less so on the A80J.
Bitoshi wrote:
If you noticed the C1 having more pop it could be that you're viewing it in a brighter room. The A80J's semi-matte coating will reduce contrast in comparison the the C1's glossy coating when more ambient light is present. In a dark room both should look nearly identical.

I compared my 65" A80J and 55" C1 side-by-side myself as well, and I agree they look basically identical 95% of the time. However, after a few more weeks of comparing them, I'm starting to notice the differences more and more. I noticed the A80J has better screen uniformity and I prefer the remote, OS, and the picture quality. Motion handling seems slightly more natural, colors in HDR pop slightly more, and the picture looks sharper/more detailed. At first I didn't like the extra detail/sharpness since I thought it was un-natural, but it's starting to grow on me.

One thing I noticed in particular is that the A80J seems to maintain color saturation in HDR for certain colors much better. For example, when playing God Of War on my PS5 I noticed that fire tends to looks slightly purple/pinkish on the C1 compared the vibrant, saturated red I get on my A80J. I believe Vincent Teoh on HDTVtest mentioned this as well, and it has to do with how Sony deals with white sub-pixel dilution in HDR (Sony uses less white sub-pixel boosting in HDR which results in less color de-saturation).

The other problem I have with the C1 is that it's factory calibrated with LG's HDR tone-mapping turned on. This is a problem because you need to turn this off to have correct gamma and colors in HDR. With HDR tone-mapping turned off the gamma curve becomes slightly boosted at the lower end resulting in black crush. The A80J's factory calibration is already accurate resulting in less black crush and shadow detail loss. This is unfortunate since the C1 can actually achieve better shadow detail than the A80J after professional calibration.

I also noticed that my C1 emits a buzzing noise from the power supply while in stand-by (fairly common on LG OLED's), and the power cable is not detachable which concerns me if it ever gets damaged. I also appreciate the A80J's better build quality. With the C1 I sometimes worry that it's flimsy screen might get damaged someday.

I've decided to return my 55" C1 once my 55" A80J arrives.
Well said. That's basically my exact experience too.

Most reviews seem to acknowledge that the Sony A80J has the edge in picture quality and does get brighter highlights in HDR.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3064 posts
1103 upvotes
Lévis
snoshy wrote: ...

Wow, the Sony remote don't impress me at all. Feels a bit cheap for a 2500$ TV. There's not even backlight.
Pourquoi pas?
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a good home theatre audio setup? I've checked reddit, Wirecutter and avsforums but it's all super overwhelming.

Looking to spend around $1500-2000 on a decent audio setup

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)