Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Sony A80J 55" $1999 / 65" $2599 / 77" $3999 (Costco, BestBuy, Visions, and others) - Expired

Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
Dontknowme wrote: Can anyone recommend a good home theatre audio setup? I've checked reddit, Wirecutter and avsforums but it's all super overwhelming.

Looking to spend around $1500-2000 on a decent audio setup
You’d probably want to give more details on the type of the system you are looking for.
Would this be a traditional home theater in a box type, 7.1, 5.1, AVR, atmos, soundbar etc.
And, how large is your room, can you pull wires or it must be wireless…

This guy has few good samples of various setups from home theatres packages to soundbars

https://youtube.com/c/AndrewRobinsonphoto
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: You’d probably want to give more details on the type of the system you are looking for.
Would this be a traditional home theater in a box type, 7.1, 5.1, AVR, atmos, soundbar etc.
And, how large is your room, can you pull wires or it must be wireless…

This guy has few good samples of various setups from home theatres packages to soundbars

https://youtube.com/c/AndrewRobinsonphoto

That's exaclty what overwhelms me. From my research I think it's best to avoid home theatre in a box, and sound bars. The room is 20x20

Looking for a 5.1 setup but then I realize wiring the surround speakers and posisbily sub will be tough without having ugly wires showing everywhere.

So this brings me full circle into either wireless , or a sound bar. Thus me asking for help :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8291 posts
7183 upvotes
Dontknowme wrote: That's exaclty what overwhelms me. From my research I think it's best to avoid home theatre in a box, and sound bars. The room is 20x20

Looking for a 5.1 setup but then I realize wiring the surround speakers and posisbily sub will be tough without having ugly wires showing everywhere.

So this brings me full circle into either wireless , or a sound bar. Thus me asking for help :(
You either can deal with wires or just deal with systems that are good enough. You can't have it both ways.

That why a lot of people build their space with wires already in wall.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: You either can deal with wires or just deal with systems that are good enough. You can't have it both ways.

That why a lot of people build their space with wires already in wall.
That's the point in asking for help in case I missed a system that can tick all the boxes.

I most definitely can't deal with the wires. This is a living room home theatre set up, not a dedicated room as I would have in the future. However, the tv is quite expensive and it's about time I invest some money into sound.

Yamaha receiver line supports wireless surround speakers and sub, but then you cannot use their room analyzer feature which apparenlty is totally worth it. So that kind of negates the wireless feature.

Not really sure what to do
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2982 posts
1941 upvotes
Dontknowme wrote: That's the point in asking for help in case I missed a system that can tick all the boxes.

I most definitely can't deal with the wires. This is a living room home theatre set up, not a dedicated room as I would have in the future. However, the tv is quite expensive and it's about time I invest some money into sound.

Yamaha receiver line supports wireless surround speakers and sub, but then you cannot use their room analyzer feature which apparenlty is totally worth it. So that kind of negates the wireless feature.

Not really sure what to do
https://www.technologyx.com/digital/aud ... em-review/

https://www.technologyx.com/digital/aud ... lby-atmos/
__________________________
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
Dontknowme wrote: That's exaclty what overwhelms me. From my research I think it's best to avoid home theatre in a box, and sound bars. The room is 20x20

Looking for a 5.1 setup but then I realize wiring the surround speakers and posisbily sub will be tough without having ugly wires showing everywhere.

So this brings me full circle into either wireless , or a sound bar. Thus me asking for help :(
Yep, that’s exactly my situation. I absolutely cannot pull wires and my wall unit where tv is located has no space for taller center channel speaker. Luckily, I am not an audiophile and I don’t care for “must not compromised“ notion as, we always compromise. The fact that I compromised on tv purchase and instead of a90j got a80j...
So, after watching some reviews I compared decent SVS home theatre in the box to Samsung q950a soundbar and came to the conclusion that in my medium size room it will sound great. I was not wrong.
Anyways, set your priorities. If audio system is something that you can accommodate in you room with some minor redesign then, go for it. If not, get a good soundbar.
Oh yea, those WISA complaint wireless home theater speakers are quite expensive and not well developed yet here in North America. There are couple of systems like Monaco and Klipsch for $$$$. Andrew Robinson has a video on the subject where he talks about it. Apparently, there is a problem with wisa wireless frequencies working well in Europe but, not in NA causing sound cut offs.
Last edited by gena_mak on Dec 9th, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Yep, that’s exactly my situation. I absolutely cannot pull wires and my wall unit where tv is located has no space for taller center channel speaker. Luckily, I am not an audiophile and I don’t care for “must not compromised“ notion as, we always compromise. The fact that I compromised on tv purchase and instead of a90j got a80j...
So, after watching some reviews I compared decent SVS home theatre in the box to Samsung q950a soundbar and came to the conclusion that in my medium size room it will sound great. I was not wrong.
Anyways, set your priorities. If audio system is something that you can accommodate in you room with some minor redesign then, go for it. If not, get a good soundbar.
Oh yea, those WISA complaint wireless home theater speakers are quite expensive and not well developed yet here in North America. There are couple of systems like Monaco and Klipsch for $$$$. There is a video on the subject from Andrew Robinson where he talks about it. Apparently, there is a problem with wisa wireless frequencies working well in Europe but, not in NA that is causing sound being cut off.
I am not an audiophile either. Not even close, but I am inclined enough to know the formats, technology and how good something sounds in relatively newbie terms. I also maintain a massive Plex server and watch alot of tv/movies.

Are you saying you went for the Samsung q950a? Didn't that cost about $2200?
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
Dontknowme wrote: I am not an audiophile either. Not even close, but I am inclined enough to know the formats, technology and how good something sounds in relatively newbie terms. I also maintain a massive Plex server and watch alot of tv/movies.

Are you saying you went for the Samsung q950a? Didn't that cost about $2200?
I got mine q950a during BF plus, it was open box for $1150. New one was $1500.
I was ready to go for Sony A9 plus sub but, I decided not to park $3K in sound system and the deal for that open box q950a soundbar was pretty good….
However, if you can tolerate spending $3K and wait until they come in stock (February?), the reviews on YouTube I watched for this system are quite good.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
Are you sure you didn't purchase the Samsung q900a?

The q950a is not $1599 regular price. It's $2200 regular price.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2982 posts
1941 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Oh yea, those WISA complaint wireless home theater speakers are quite expensive and not well developed yet here in North America. There are couple of systems like Monaco and Klipsch for $$$$. Andrew Robinson has a video on the subject where he talks about it. Apparently, there is a problem with wisa wireless frequencies working well in Europe but, not in NA causing sound cut offs.
Running the Monaco system with 7 and a sub as a 5.1.2 setup from a LGC1 pretty much constantly... all wireless. Not a single drop and can't speak highly enough of these... In Canada. The sound surprised the hell out of me in cinema... Not so much for music which is why I rely on my system for that. Good luck getting these at a decent price here but the Enclaves are 1K I believe... Can't speak to them.
__________________________
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
flamenko wrote: Running the Monaco system with 7 and a sub as a 5.1.2 setup from a LGC1 pretty much constantly... all wireless. Not a single drop and can't speak highly enough of these... In Canada. The sound surprised the hell out of me in cinema... Not so much for music which is why I rely on my system for that. Good luck getting these at a decent price here but the Enclaves are 1K I believe... Can't speak to them.
Interested. How much was full set up? Did you buy it in Canada? Is there authorized warranty service?
Newbie
Nov 25, 2021
25 posts
19 upvotes
Dontknowme wrote: That's exaclty what overwhelms me. From my research I think it's best to avoid home theatre in a box, and sound bars. The room is 20x20

Looking for a 5.1 setup but then I realize wiring the surround speakers and posisbily sub will be tough without having ugly wires showing everywhere.

So this brings me full circle into either wireless , or a sound bar. Thus me asking for help :(
In the same boat. I’m thinking of just compromising on sound quality and going for a full Sonos setup, though it’s quite pricy (2500-ish for a soundbar, subwoofer and two rears). The appeal of this is mainly the space savings, extendability and simplicity. My living room space is not that big and I’m not an audiophile so I’m thinking this should suffice.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
RationalSpender wrote: In the same boat. I’m thinking of just compromising on sound quality and going for a full Sonos setup, though it’s quite pricy (2500-ish for a soundbar, subwoofer and two rears). The appeal of this is mainly the space savings, extendability and simplicity. My living room space is not that big and I’m not an audiophile so I’m thinking this should suffice.
The Samsung q950a might be a better deal if you can get it at the BF price. I'm hoping they bring back the sale on boxing day
Newbie
Nov 25, 2021
25 posts
19 upvotes
Dontknowme wrote: The Samsung q950a might be a better deal if you can get it at the BF price. I'm hoping they bring back the sale on boxing day
I’ll look into that, thanks for the heads up! The JBL 9.1 also seems to have quite a few positive reviews. I’ll probably need to do more research before pulling the trigger on this one. It seems there is a whole universe of audio options out there…
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
514 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver
Upgraded from a X900H to this TV. While it's a beautiful set, I kinda miss the brightness of the X900H. This is just not all that bright... I'm on the fence of returning this as a result
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2982 posts
1941 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: Interested. How much was full set up? Did you buy it in Canada? Is there authorized warranty service?
I don't believe there is established Canadian warranty service. In fact, trying to find the Plain system in Canada is impossible but for very high prices on Amazon through a third party seller. It is available on eBay and US Amazon and the reviews are very good... But for some reason WiSA hasn't got a foothold in Canada yet. On Amazon Canada, there is the Enclave 5.1 WiSA system at a decent price. My sole purpose here was to provide info that, if you can get your hands on such, this appears to fit your needs and it works beautifully. It is a sweet system with the new 75" LG C1 and movies like Bladerunner 2049 and the original are the ideal test.
__________________________
Member
Jun 8, 2006
389 posts
46 upvotes
MonsterDuckMadness wrote: I dunno, dude. I’m in Vancouver and haven’t heard diddly. And it sounds like there are folks in Toronto who ordered a couple of days after me, who have delivery dates. So it doesn’t feel like the delay is here. I talked to a Sony rep about a week and a half ago; and he was complaining bitterly about “supply chain,” generally. I think those of us who got 77s at all, should probably consider ourselves quite lucky.
Had a delivery scheduled for tomorrow and they just cancelled and offered Jan 5th instead. Looks like i might have guessed right, they said that the supply is stuck in Vancouver.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
flamenko wrote: I don't believe there is established Canadian warranty service. In fact, trying to find the Plain system in Canada is impossible but for very high prices on Amazon through a third party seller. It is available on eBay and US Amazon and the reviews are very good... But for some reason WiSA hasn't got a foothold in Canada yet. On Amazon Canada, there is the Enclave 5.1 WiSA system at a decent price. My sole purpose here was to provide info that, if you can get your hands on such, this appears to fit your needs and it works beautifully. It is a sweet system with the new 75" LG C1 and movies like Bladerunner 2049 and the original are the ideal test.
Yea, I see. I did some reading and watched reviews. It’s a bit underpowered with 270W with limited connectivity… l really like the idea of WISA speakers but, it doesn’t look like it’s getting any traction in North America with enclaves, platin and klipsch selling in US.
I am really interested in Sony a9 plus sub. But with no stock anywhere and $$$ for what it is, may be in couple of years I will revisit this.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa
Dontknowme wrote: The Samsung q950a might be a better deal if you can get it at the BF price. I'm hoping they bring back the sale on boxing day
Check this one out open box Sony soundbar with rear surrounds upfiring speakers. Should be a good set especially having Sony tv.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... x/13024541

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... mght_ls_lk

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)