Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Best Buy: Sony NEX-5N Camera $414 (After PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2012 4:58 pm
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
This little camera is also good if you have a larger SLR. For some gatherings / hiking trips that you do not want to carry the much heavier SLR.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
This is true only if you stick with pancake lens (2 of them available now - I think). NEX's size advantage diminishes quickly with a zoom lens and/or flash. A better alternative is something like the hot Sony RX100 which is designed to be portable and shines in low light party environment.

golden wrote: This little camera is also good if you have a larger SLR. For some gatherings / hiking trips that you do not want to carry the much heavier SLR.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
My anti-virus won't let my browser go to computerpartsdrives.com. "Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 2347)" ...anyone get that?
Jul 13, 2006
476 posts
379 upvotes
Calgary
I got the original NEX5 when it came out just under 2 years ago. I was really impressed with the pictures taken by the camera. Dynamic range is better than my 5D2, focus peaking allows the use of legacy lens and panaromic mode was fun to use. Operation of the camera is easy as it was meant to be used by one hand. I agree with 82, the size advantage will quickly diminish if you put in a large lens or flash, but I think the new 16-50mm addresses to that concern. Given the response time and the sensor quality over many point and shoot cameras, you will see better pictures out of the NEX5 even when used by casual photographers. I am tempted to get the 5N but I guess I will wait for NEX7 and NEX6 to drop in price first. The VF and flash will definitely help to address the size and the usage concerns.
Aug 17, 2006
708 posts
272 upvotes
undoubtedly one of the best camera available in the market for average as well as pro users. I like the size factor when compared to big SLRs. Size does matter in case of camera for practical use. Small camera goes everywhere with you. In fact many places i just manage with my iphone camera.
Jul 3, 2007
153 posts
40 upvotes
82 wrote: This is true only if you stick with pancake lens (2 of them available now - I think). NEX's size advantage diminishes quickly with a zoom lens and/or flash. A better alternative is something like the hot Sony RX100 which is designed to be portable and shines in low light party environment.
I disagree. The NEX system cameras are still much smaller and lighter than traditional DSLR's despite the sizes of their lenses: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/512 ... 6146b9.jpg
Further, the NEX offers adaptability. You have the choice of using smaller pancakes, popping on the E-Mount 50mm f1.8, or even going A-Mount using the LA-EA2, depending on the situation. A few manufacturer's have even released Canon EF adapters, allowing you to use your EF lenses with full electronic control. The future is bright for this system.
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
Love my Nex-5n - only thing I wish it had was the EVF from the Nex-7 or 6. As mentioned, however, the focus peaking is awesome for manual lens photography which I am having a ball with via M42 to NEX adapter and all my Takumar lenses. I could say that this cameras has the fastest shutter lag time in the world, or how Sony has started taking over the photography world (all the top Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras use Sony sensors) but I'll simply say that the NEX is a lot of fun to use and gives great results...
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Sony is totally leading the camera world right now! Can't wait for a full frame nex...
Jun 29, 2005
494 posts
65 upvotes
PM with BB but they charged me shipping. BS..
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I can only speak for my own experience, I see little difference to carry a D90 + 18-105mm than a NEX5 with 18-55 (less zoom). Both need the same care and wear on the neck/shoulder. An RX100 on the other hand, is truely pocket size while provides comparable IQ at wide end at same shutter speed.

As I said, "Pancake" is an exception.

Also, viewfinder and flash are very useful even in bright day.
zadereous wrote: I disagree. The NEX system cameras are still much smaller and lighter than traditional DSLR's despite the sizes of their lenses: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/512 ... 6146b9.jpg
Further, the NEX offers adaptability. You have the choice of using smaller pancakes, popping on the E-Mount 50mm f1.8, or even going A-Mount using the LA-EA2, depending on the situation. A few manufacturer's have even released Canon EF adapters, allowing you to use your EF lenses with full electronic control. The future is bright for this system.
Sep 8, 2009
248 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
Fantaz wrote: My anti-virus won't let my browser go to computerpartsdrives.com. "Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 2347)" ...anyone get that?
Same here...JS/Kryptik.YP trojan connection terminated - quarantined
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2422 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
Captain Snazzypants wrote: all the top Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras use Sony sensors)
I dont think Canon use Sony sensors...
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
That website allows you to pickup in Toronto I believe. So no shipping should be added.
Jul 3, 2007
153 posts
40 upvotes
82 wrote: I can only speak for my own experience, I see little difference to carry a D90 + 18-105mm than a NEX5 with 18-55 (less zoom). Both need the same care and wear on the neck/shoulder. An RX100 on the other hand, is truely pocket size while provides comparable IQ at wide end at same shutter speed.

As I said, "Pancake" is an exception.

Also, viewfinder and flash are very useful even in bright day.
The Nikon D90 is 624g, while the 5N comes in at 210g (body only for both)... I suppose it's subjective? Either way, it's quite a significant difference. Viewfinder and flash can be purchased/attached separately, not to mention standard hot-shoe adapters now available for the NEX system (adaptability). Also, I forgot to mention the NEX-5N's excellent video mode.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Maybe not Canon, but some Nikon and Olympus models do. Sonys sensors are Industry-leading at the moment. The rx100 is also an awesome camera. If you check out the digitalrevtv review, its image quality beats the aps-c canon t4i.

Canon really dropped the ball with eos m.
vpower wrote: I dont think Canon use Sony sensors...
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
As for weight, this 5n is even lighter than the Panasonic gf2 (which I have for sale in bst!). Its really easy to use . No comparison to SLRs.

BTW, 82, the IQ on the nex is a fair bit better than the d90. The d7000 is similar, BT that's because it uses a version of the same sensor.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Once you put in a zoom lens, the difference is diminished quickly, I am not even talking about flash, viewfinder, spare battery. You can shoot all day long for a week with D90 but NEX requires to charge more frequently due to LCD screen usage, this means even if you don't need a spare battery, you still want to take the charger with you. At the end, the NEX 5N only has small advantage on portiblity from my experience. It is a very good camera but I rather have a RX100 + DSLR/NEX than a NEX + DSLR.
zadereous wrote: The Nikon D90 is 624g, while the 5N comes in at 210g (body only for both)... I suppose it's subjective? Either way, it's quite a significant difference. Viewfinder and flash can be purchased/attached separately, not to mention standard hot-shoe adapters now available for the NEX system (adaptability). Also, I forgot to mention the NEX-5N's excellent video mode.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)