• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 10:37 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
16 posts
52 upvotes

[Best Buy] Synology NAS DS120j 1 bay Entry Level NAS for $68.60 50% OFF

If your looking for a "basic" NAS with 1 drive this a very good deal,

Amazon is selling it for $146.99, tons of good reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/Synology-DS120j-D ... B07ZKSLVT5
Images
  • Best buy.png
46 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6952 posts
11577 upvotes
Montreal
3rd party seller with only 4 poor reviews. Beware.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 2nd, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1916 posts
1692 upvotes
You are kidding!!!
From the screnshot taken, it showed that the deal is from a 3rd party reseller on BB Canada.
One might get whole lot of heartaches...eeh... headaches on returns/refund if the product is "defective" or not to the user's standards.

Caveat Emptor
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
16 posts
52 upvotes
hahahah ...I didnt mean to ruin your day ....heres a good idea don't buy it then...lol
Jun 26, 2015
142 posts
181 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
oh man, 1 bay NAS? thats just a hard-drive enclusre haha.
no redundancy = bad, = bad product.
May 23, 2017
15 posts
12 upvotes
You're better off throwing a hard drive in an external closure and connecting it to an old PC you can leave on 24/7 than buying this.
Nov 1, 2012
121 posts
364 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
Rhinogator wrote: oh man, 1 bay NAS? thats just a hard-drive enclusre haha.
no redundancy = bad, = bad product.
I thought the same, why would you want to buy a 1 bay NAS drive? But I guess it can be good if you want just a basic storage like an external HDD but don't want to manage your shares through your computer as you can do it directly on the NAS... Otherwise I don't see the point ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15902 posts
7476 upvotes
Ottawa
NinjaNick wrote: You're better off throwing a hard drive in an external closure and connecting it to an old PC you can leave on 24/7 than buying this.
I wouldn't do that either. My last PC used to idle at 75W and leaving that on 24/7 would be kind of wasteful.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Feb 22, 2011
234 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga
While I’m not going to speak for the seller side of things, the device itself does have a purpose. You can use it to back up your PC’s, although it is only 1 drive it still is better than no backups. With Synology’s Active Backup and it’s deduplication capabilities you can get way more backed up than you might realize. Not sure at the moment but this may also be able to backup other NAS’s (think off site ). If you’re just looking for an alternative to backing up in the cloud the something small and robust like this may just do the trick
Aug 12, 2010
970 posts
783 upvotes
I think it's worth it, throw a 16tb exo drive in it and use as a backup from your regular nas in another building for a SME?

However tried to check out, won't let me
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2744 posts
2359 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Technically, even with only one bay it's still "network attached" Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15902 posts
7476 upvotes
Ottawa
I guess this is a step above an external drive. You still get Synology's apps and features. And of course, if you are worried about data loss, you should be backing up this device as well.

Not for me, as I would go for at least a dual bay.

As for the seller, basically I don't trust any of the sellers in Best Buy marketplace....some are definitely sketchy.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Jan 2, 2015
512 posts
474 upvotes
Montréal area
Could it be useful if I already have Synology NAS at home and want to backup this NAS in another building (so, no use for this NAS except to receive backups?) Or even that would be too much for this little guy?

Except for the merchand reputation, it could then be a good deal to put this NAS at my inlaws ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1549 posts
1854 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bananaclouds wrote: I too would like to know
Only if you don't need to do any transcoding (convert the video to a lower resolution or bitrate). These only have a low powered ARM chip so they can't really handle transcoding. but they would be fine for streaming at the native video format (ie just through network share)
Jul 15, 2003
749 posts
841 upvotes
Remember these J series NAS are really entry level so to speak. Doesn't support many of Synology's own apps partly because it doesn't support BTRFS file system. For using it as another location to backup your data, it should be fine. Using all the benefits of Synology ecosystem, no can do there. Be mindful what you are buying into. And I am not even talking about the seller.
Mar 21, 2004
268 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
One of the 1 star reviews was left by the seller. Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 12, 2006
271 posts
234 upvotes
barcathegreat wrote: Remember these J series NAS are really entry level so to speak. Doesn't support many of Synology's own apps partly because it doesn't support BTRFS file system. For using it as another location to backup your data, it should be fine. Using all the benefits of Synology ecosystem, no can do there. Be mindful what you are buying into. And I am not even talking about the seller.
Now that btrfs was mentioned had to explore, sharing for others out there. Btrfs is a modern copy on write (CoW) filesystem aimed at implementing advanced features.

This tutorial here aims to explain how to mount Btrfs volumes on Windows 10.
https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/19/tu ... ws-10.html