Boxing Day 2020 Deals

[Best Buy] TCL 4-Series 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (55S434-CA) - 2021 $399 W/FS or In Store

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2021 2:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10557 posts
4968 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] TCL 4-Series 55" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (55S434-CA) - 2021 $399 W/FS or In Store

Not a lava hot BD deal, but good. For those looking for a budget 55" with functional Android OS and features, this might be an option. Sure there are cheaper 55" TV's to be had on BD, but getting something with reasonable PQ and usable smart features is another question.
This is the newer 2021 TCL 4 Series. Of course no local dimming or high peak brightness in this range, so HDR will be OK at best, but otherwise this might be a good option for typical use in low to moderate lighting.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8775 upvotes
Not bad, however the 2020 4-series is actually a slight downgrade from the 2019 model. The 2020 removes 24p judder correctly (which the 2019 didn't) so it might be better for movies but the older one was better for gaming.

Interestingly they've brought AndroidTV in now so the 4 is now offered in either Roku or Android it looks like, but interestingly the Android ones drop one HDMI port (3 instead of 4) except on the smallest (43") which both have 3.
Mar 1, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
I just bought the Roku 2018 version of this 4 series 55 in tv. At bestbuy for the same price.

Then this deal for the 2020 Android version went on sale.
Should I swap for this newer and different os? Is this a better deal than paying the same price for the 2018 Roku version?
Mar 1, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
Do you think this is better than the 2019 Roku version at the same price?
Apr 8, 2010
731 posts
152 upvotes
London
Might have a back door https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tcl-smar ... 20software

I'd be primarily using this with a Fire Stick 4k so I probably wouldn't bother connecting the TV itself to the internet except for updates and even then I'll stick it in the DMZ! Are there cheaper displays I should be looking at or should I pull the trigger on this as a basic display for light gaming (SNES classic, Xbox Series S. Coming from a 2010 vintage 1080p Samsung 42" Costco special so my expectations are low!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10557 posts
4968 upvotes
Toronto
bangoman wrote: Might have a back door https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tcl-smar ... 20software

I'd be primarily using this with a Fire Stick 4k so I probably wouldn't bother connecting the TV itself to the internet except for updates and even then I'll stick it in the DMZ! Are there cheaper displays I should be looking at or should I pull the trigger on this as a basic display for light gaming (SNES classic, Xbox Series S. Coming from a 2010 vintage 1080p Samsung 42" Costco special so my expectations are low!
If you don't really need the Android OS with the attendant risks, you might compare the previous 55" 4 Series at Costco for slightly less, or the Hisense 55R61G or 58R61G. Costco's liberal return policy of 90 days, free return shipping, 2 year warranty, and $30 5 Year warranty extension, might tip the scale. All are Roku based. Roku is great for basic streaming and network playing and not affected by the above.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Nov 24, 2018
530 posts
535 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
idiotcanuck wrote: If you don't really need the Android OS with the attendant risks, you might compare the previous 55" 4 Series at Costco for slightly less, or the Hisense 55R61G or 58R61G. Costco's liberal return policy of 90 days, free return shipping, 2 year warranty, and $30 5 Year warranty extension, might tip the scale. All are Roku based. Roku is great for basic streaming and network playing and not affected by the above.
what do you mean by attendant risk? After I own two android TV, I love them on how flexible on the APK and apps that can carry compares to tizen and roku.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10557 posts
4968 upvotes
Toronto
BertL67369 wrote: what do you mean by attendant risk? After I own two android TV, I love them on how flexible on the APK and apps that can carry compares to tizen and roku.
Bango's link above was about the known potential backdoor security risk on TCL Android TV's, plus he was saying that he is running a Fire Stick anyway, so the Android to Roku movement was irrelevant. I agree though, for a lot of people an Android OS is much preferred. That is why I posted this deal even if, personally, I would usually prefer to buy TV's at Costco. Especially budget models.
Apr 8, 2010
731 posts
152 upvotes
London
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I much prefer Android OS over FireOS but the 4k Fire Sticks were so attractive to use with my old TV from a responsiveness point of view. And for general, ahem, streaming I tend to use an old Mac Mini with Kodi.

As far as Costco goes the 55" TCL with Roku is CAD389.99 but OOS online. I'll see about in store. Might have to check out the HiSenses as well. Good point about the Costco warranty, I'd forgotten about that. I do hate Roku so very very much but per above, I wouldn't be using it anyway!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10557 posts
4968 upvotes
Toronto
bangoman wrote: Thanks for the advice. Yeah I much prefer Android OS over FireOS but the 4k Fire Sticks were so attractive to use with my old TV from a responsiveness point of view. And for general, ahem, streaming I tend to use an old Mac Mini with Kodi.

As far as Costco goes the 55" TCL with Roku is CAD389.99 but OOS online. I'll see about in store. Might have to check out the HiSenses as well. Good point about the Costco warranty, I'd forgotten about that. I do hate Roku so very very much but per above, I wouldn't be using it anyway!
I think almost every Costco would stock the above three options, and there could possibly be some in store discounts on one or more. Personally I don't mind Roku for regular streaming and network play, and use a PC for ahem's. Winking Face
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8775 upvotes
JoelR76960 wrote: I just bought the Roku 2018 version of this 4 series 55 in tv. At bestbuy for the same price.

Then this deal for the 2020 Android version went on sale.
Should I swap for this newer and different os? Is this a better deal than paying the same price for the 2018 Roku version?
JoelR76960 wrote: Do you think this is better than the 2019 Roku version at the same price?
If you do a lot of gaming the older one (are you sure you don't mean the 2019, S42X?) is the better TV due to lower input lag and better response time. If you don't do much/any gaming, the 2020 is better due to the better colour accuracy and judder removal.
Sep 16, 2013
74 posts
5 upvotes
Anyone use this TV with Nintendo Switch? How does it look?
Mar 1, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
You are correct, I meant the 2019.
I ended up opting to get the 55s535 2020 model QLED and has local dimming. Its 499 on amazon, so not much more $ than this 4 series, and the quality appears to be much better according to reviews. We shall see.
I stuck with the ROKU OS as well.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8775 upvotes
Jamin25 wrote: Anyone use this TV with Nintendo Switch? How does it look?
Keep in mind a few things...
-Upscaling on 2nd tier TVs is not as good as on 1st tier sets. 4K will be fine as this is native res but it gets worse as you go down. 1080p is acceptable and it's an "even" upscale (x4 in both directions), but below that...well you probably don't want to use a 2nd tier TV for low-res content

-For the most part, the cheaper/lower-end the TV is the worse processing it will have and therefore worse upscaling.

-Switch outputs 1080p over HDMI but most games are running (rendered) at, 1600x900 internally. This means the Switch is doing an upscale and then the TV is upscaling that again to meet the native res of the panel.

So it's not exactly a recipe for an outstanding picture, lol. It will depend on such things as how close you are to the TV and how large the TV is, how discerning/picky you are and what you consider good/bad. If you're scrutinising it carefully it's going to be obvious that the game is running at low res and the upscales are not doing any favours; if you're happy to see a relatively sharp image "on the big screen" and don't really care too much about getting the best possible image you could? Well you'll likely be fine. TBH even a 1st tier set can't do miracles with 1600x900 content. It will look better, but you'll definitely be able to tell it's not 4K content no matter what.
JoelR76960 wrote: You are correct, I meant the 2019.
I ended up opting to get the 55s535 2020 model QLED and has local dimming. Its 499 on amazon, so not much more $ than this 4 series, and the quality appears to be much better according to reviews. We shall see.
I stuck with the ROKU OS as well.
Good stuff, it is much better. 4-series is just a very basic TV that maximises just giving you a TV as large as can be for bottom dollar; the 5-series OTOH is a lower midrange TV that is very impressive and has added features like QD filter and LD from the last generation. The 4 is lower priced in absolute terms but the 5 is much better value for what you're getting.