Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Toshiba 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Chromecast Built-in Smart TV (50L711U18) $550 + free Google Home

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2018 10:36 am
Oct 31, 2011
57 posts
42 upvotes
I was able to successfully return it as well. Reserved in-store through website originally.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11901 posts
24210 upvotes
Finally... Just received delivery of the TV!

Time to play around with it this weekend!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
What's the Bluetooth used for? I didn't see how to use it on the manual, wondering if I could connect my Bluetooth headphone with it.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4566 posts
1184 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
Can someone, anyone who has purchased this TV confirm for sure whether or not it has Chroma 4:4:4 ???
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
I tried to calibrate with FIFA 18 demo on my Xbox one s, but the result wasn't good, any settings to share? If I could not get this done, I may have to return it as it's mainly for gaming.

When I followed the instructions inside the demo, I moved the brightness bar of my TV to the end of left and could not get rid of the shadow of the "EA" logo, totally newbie for video calibration, any advice is appreciated
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Oct 31, 2011
57 posts
42 upvotes
I just wanted to share a quick review of this TV in case it goes on sale again. Overall 3/5.

First here are some facts about my purchase:

- Paid $399 CAD on sale (after the return of the Google Home which refunded $150+tax from the $550 price)
- Purchased 1.5 months ago and used it for dozens of hours
- Upgraded from a surprisingly great Insignia 50" 1080p LED display that I pay $450 for 2 years ago.
- Used for gaming with PS4 Pro and with the new Apple TV 4K as well as a regular blu-ray player. Have not tried with a 4K blu-ray player.

Now that you know everything about my purchase and TV history you will know where my review is coming from. If you are looking for a 4K TV and don't care about HDR (high dynamic range) content, then this is a good buy when on sale. At the regular price of $699 this is absolutely not worth it. If you can get it under $500 it's a good buy but I honestly would just wait for a TV with real HDR10 or Dolby Vision to go on sale. The box and manual say this TV has HDR and it even has an HDR mode but it looks awful and is actually just fake HDR. HDR10 requires a 10-bit panel and this TV has an 8-bit panel. It's kind of disgusting that Toshiba is allowed to market this as an HDR TV when it is not. It puts on a fake HDR mode and the picture quality looks awful compared to the 4K SDR (standard dynamic range).

I tested this TV with several 4K and 4K HDR movies via iTunes (Star Trek Beyond, Arrival, La La Land to name a few), Netflix (Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, Planet Earth II) and with 4K and 4K HDR games on the PlayStation 4 Pro (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn). Games that take advantage of 4K look phenomenal in 4K (even smaller games like Rocket League have great clarity and no jaggies). 4K movies and shows on Netflix and iTunes look excellent as well.

Anyone that says this TV has a poor picture quality did not calibrate it properly as it is a great display. Here are the settings that I found to be the best for my Apple TV 4K:

Backlight: 85 (whatever suits your room really)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: -1
Color: 7
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -8

Turn everything off or medium in the advanced picture settings.

All around good 4K TV if you can find it for cheap but if I knew what I know now about it's "fake HDR" I would have just waited until a good 4K HDR TV was on sale in the $600 range. At $399 I found this price hard to pass up and am happy for now but will probably sell it in a year when 4K TVs with real HDR come down in price.
Aug 13, 2014
1 posts
Saint-Lambert, QC
Hi;

just snagged one at BBuy on Friday;
After a few hours of casting; it started to power cycle - (a cycle could take from 30s to 3 mins - sometimes showing the Toshiba logo; usually no, just led lighting flashing).
Unplugged it; let it cool down- replugged it
It started fine but with that extremely annoying hissing sound that comes from the right-bottom corner.
Unplugged it for the night - and now today, after 2hrs it started to power cycle again on its own - but now does only that, to infinty.

I guess i<ll go returning it;
guess some things are too good to be true!

pmb
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Just found out that I could not cast youtube video to it, the built-in chromecast needs to be updated IMO.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Unplug the power cord from wall outlet and replug in solve the issue.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1682 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal
I have had this TV for 2.5 months and it died. Bestbuy doesn't want to help me and I have no idea how to process this warranty under Toshiba. Also, mine has a "Bestbuy Recycle' tag on the back, despite being purchased as new. Does anyone else have this oddity?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Bulletwithbatwings wrote: I have had this TV for 2.5 months and it died. Bestbuy doesn't want to help me and I have no idea how to process this warranty under Toshiba. Also, mine has a "Bestbuy Recycle' tag on the back, despite being purchased as new. Does anyone else have this oddity?
I think that you have to contact Toshiba for the warranty(1 year). Let us know. So far, I have seen one update for google cast for this TV, no other firmware updates from Toshiba, I will not buying anything from them anymore.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1682 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal
I emailed Bestbuy to complain as I did not like the giant "Best buy recycle" sticker on the back of my supposedly new TV and they surprisingly refunded it in full. That's the last time I buy one of their exclusive TV's which I'm guessing are rebranded insignias.
Sep 11, 2018
1 posts
Did you figure out the yellow circle when loading ? I have to pull the power supply when this happens
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
ToddW12384 wrote: Did you figure out the yellow circle when loading ? I have to pull the power supply when this happens
Same, it happened couple of times already, pull the power cord seemed is the only choice to resolve this issue.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)