• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 3:25 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2009
125 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga

[Best Buy] Toucan Wireless Outdoor HD Security Camera $100

Folks who are into automation and prefer no-contract security system may find it interesting. I have been looking for some sort of camera and security for the side and yard entrance but could not decide between:
Rogers (Monthly and contract)
Arlo (wirefree but expensive and difficult to mount)
Any wired one would have needed an electrician
Any wireless has bad reviews for battery life depending on how busy that device is. Imagine gone on a vacation to find that 2 days later the battery died. :(

This device is pretty useful because we all have a lamp and all it needs is adding a new socket and then connecting the device through USB cable to the camera which has pretty neat features:
  1. Clear 720p color video with 116-degree wide angle adjustable HD camera lens
  2. Passive infrared sensor detects motion and sends instant notifications to your smartphone or tablet so you're always aware of who's at door before they even reach the door bell
  3. Built-in speaker and microphone allows 2-way communication so you can hear visitors just as clearly as you see them and speak with them wherever you are
  4. Weatherproof design is made for the outdoors and withstands rain, snow, humidity
  5. See and talk with whoever is at the door in real time, review captured footage, and control the light settings on the Kuna Home Security app (iOS and Android)
  6. Remote light control lets you control your lights anywhere, create dusk-to-dawn light schedule, or set lights to turn on whenever motion is detected
  7. Review, rewind, and download the footage for up to 2 hours after it was recorded
  8. Sound the 100dB remote siren alarm instantly or play pre-recorded messages to deter potential intruders
  9. Comes with a 1-touch 911 call in case of an emergency
Just like anything else, its not a perfect device and will have its own problem but the ease of setting it up and the functionality for 120$ is good IMHO. It is not an inflated price because I saw it at 199 just last weekend. Also it is 149 USD and not available at HD or Amazon.

I will be pulling the trigger but will appreciate the constructive feedback of wise and smart RFDers here...
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 10th, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price edit
161 replies
May 3, 2007
386 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for outdoor cameras but I want something that will last awhile, anyone got experience with these?
Jun 26, 2013
456 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
isn't RING door bell better with similar features ?
[OP]
Jul 19, 2009
125 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
As I explained. The wired alternative will need the low power door bell cable which cannot be there on the side or yard entrance. The wireless has this one disadvantage of losing battery power. If you set it for sensor and it picks up a lot of activity then the battery will drainer quicker.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2827 posts
508 upvotes
Mississauga
Good deal Op. If this integrated with Smartthings I would have been all over it
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3794 posts
251 upvotes
Pretty cool product, I'd be all over this but I have a flush mount led panel light, so no regular bulb socket
Apr 4, 2012
136 posts
34 upvotes
Laval, Que
It draws power from the light socket, so if the lights are off during the day, then no power is available to the camera?!?
Last edited by gophia on Nov 10th, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 10, 2004
170 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary

looks cool i'll try to pick one up tonight
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19306 posts
123534 upvotes
GTA
I was looking into this recently as I am not into having obvious cameras mounted everywhere. For those who are not aware, the same company also sells a full porch light with the camera built-in. It's funny, at regular prices, there's only a $25 or so difference, so normally I would rather just get the all-in-one assembly as it looks nicer and is more stealthy than having the 2 pieces.

[OP]
Jul 19, 2009
125 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
toguy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:04 pm
I was looking into this recently as I am not into having obvious cameras mounted everywhere. For those who are not aware, the same company also sells a full porch light with the camera built-in. It's funny, at regular prices, there's only a $25 or so difference, so normally I would rather just get the all-in-one assembly as it looks nicer and is more stealthy than having the 2 pieces.

I had an eye on that for so long but again - that requires electrical expertise to replace it. Some are good and some dont want to take that chance. Meaning an additional expense. Also while some people need to have a concealed camera, other prefer it to be seen as it can be a deterrent.

I agree that with full price Its only a difference of 25$ but right now at 119$ and no additional expense it could solve some people’s need.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2009
125 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
gophia wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:49 pm
It draws power from the light socket, so if the lights are off during the day, then no power is available to the camera?!?
Such a valid point. I assume hou mean the switch because the light status does not matter as they can be off during day time or be on a setting of dusk>dawn. We all have one of these switches (specially thr outdoor porch and drivway combined. I also have some outdoor Rogers camera which have a switch indoor. A couple times it was turned off so I took a label and taped it with “do not turn off - porch lights”.
Oct 23, 2017
59 posts
13 upvotes
Burlington ON
Interesting for those with a light socket at the right location and the price is right. But it just doesn't seem very versatile as to where you can deploy it. And if you get the one combined with a light fixture, don't you still need an electrician to install it? Based on the reviews I would also be concerned about the maturity of the product.

I just installed an Arlo Pro cam at my front door. So far, indications are that battery life will be as good as they promise. I don't understand the comment on Arlo being difficult to install. It takes one screw, and can be moved anywhere around the house, not just where a light socket is available I waited for a couple of years before buying, to ensure it was going to be around for a while and would receive further development. It now seems like a very mature product and I like that the software that has worked flawlessly so far. I plan to add cameras to my system when I see them on sale.

But yes, cost remains a barrier for Arlo.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19306 posts
123534 upvotes
GTA
asrm wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:37 pm
I had an eye on that for so long but again - that requires electrical expertise to replace it. Some are good and some dont want to take that chance. Meaning an additional expense. Also while some people need to have a concealed camera, other prefer it to be seen as it can be a deterrent.

I agree that with full price Its only a difference of 25$ but right now at 119$ and no additional expense it could solve some people’s need.
I don't think it does, meaning, if you are comfortable with replacing lighting fixtures inside your home, (which is really just unscrewing the old one, disconnecting the wiring, reconnecting the wiring to the new fixture and then mounting), my understanding is this one is no different. I might keep my eye out for when the full light with camera goes on sale.
Aug 28, 2017
7 posts
28 upvotes
In case anyone is planning to use this for security purposes it only stores footage for 2hrs unless you buy a monthly membership in US dollars to keep the footage for a longer period of time.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4559 posts
209 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks OP and ordered. Already have three of the security lights from Kuna and was waiting for this to go on sale to be installed in an area where the security light wouldn't work.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback