• Dec 23rd, 2018 2:22 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5929 posts
1007 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
adblink182 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:16 am
Your talking about a 3 way setup. You need the 3 way switch from TP-Link which comes with 2 switches (you only need to use one per 3 way setup). I think it's at a historical low of $65 right now
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07724HNTX
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1225 posts
374 upvotes
London
adblink182 wrote:
Your talking about a 3 way setup. You need the 3 way switch from TP-Link which comes with 2 switches (you only need to use one per 3 way setup). I think it's at a historical low of $65 right now
kelv1478 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:17 am
Hey you need a three way switch, which they also make but is more expensive. They sell them in 2 packs, but only one of the switches needs to be smart, the other one can be a regular one.
Thanks guys. I’ll take a look.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30153 posts
4794 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TurboTronix wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 8:42 am
Bought one, looks and works great.
All my other switches are zwave but at that price it's worth going wifi with the rest of my regular switches. Now waiting for the dimmer to go on sale.
Should keep it all Z-Wave. Technology is way better than WiFi
Feb 2, 2006
344 posts
97 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:12 pm
I agree. I have about 10 of these tp-link switches connected to my smartthings hub and there is a slight lag (albeit just a few milliseconds) which I assume I wouldn't notice if they were Z-Wave.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1703 posts
722 upvotes
GTA
Turge wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 3:20 pm
I agree. I have about 10 of these tp-link switches connected to my smartthings hub and there is a slight lag (albeit just a few milliseconds) which I assume I wouldn't notice if they were Z-Wave.
I don't think the delay is due it being wifi. I have about 30 wifi smart devices and they all turn on/off instantly without any lag. I do not use a smartthings hub, they are all connected directly.
Dec 10, 2006
174 posts
32 upvotes
adblink182 wrote:
I wish there was a smart switch dimmer that worked 3-way. My research comes up empty. Is anyone aware of one? Or a workaround to give smart control and dimmability to a 3-way switch?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2962 posts
2297 upvotes
Muskoka
My coolest use for this switch is with Stringify. When I am away from my home (eg - when my phone is away from the house) and it is after 5pm, and then I enter the vicinity of my home (within 1000ft) both exterior lights turn on.

Also great for timers
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3684 posts
2546 upvotes
Advantages of Z-Wave or Zigbee over WiFi:

1. Less clutter of devices on your WiFi network. All of these smart home devices phone home every few seconds. By the time you get a dozen smart home WiFi devices on your network, it's starting to cause some interference.

2. Less security risk. Every device that's on your local network is a gateway with security dependent on whoever wrote the firmware for that device. And you just know that it's buggy and poorly tested at best, or even potentially offering a deliberate back door in some cases. Your Z-Wave or Zigbee hub is also a security risk, but at least it's one common risk for all connected devices.

3. Both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices can create a mesh network (optional capability, depends if they included it). That can extend the network to greater distances and into weak reception areas.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1884 posts
433 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Couldn't justify spending 40+ on a zwave switch for my bathroom :)

At 24$ now I can light up the bathroom when my 3 year old runs to the bathroom...

The tplink is very responsive, the only thing I'm not too happy about is the fact that both on and off are at the bottom of the switch...
Gee wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:12 pm
Mar 30, 2013
241 posts
53 upvotes
Petawawa
Can I install this if my switch only has two wires? or, will it require some extra rigging and adding extra wires? I think, the TP link has 4 wires from the reviews?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30153 posts
4794 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Turge wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 3:20 pm
I also doubt the delay is due to WiFi. Are you using a hub? There maybe a delay if you’re going through a cloud, but that would be the case if you have a hub