• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 2:22 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3782 posts
568 upvotes
mrpricematch wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:07 pm
Can I install this if my switch only has two wires? or, will it require some extra rigging and adding extra wires? I think, the TP link has 4 wires from the reviews?
Correct. From what I've read, you need the neutral wire to provide constant power to the switch or it can't connect to the wifi. Also, pretty sure you need the ground too.

I'm installing mine tomorrow but I'm certain I have all four wires. I'm replacing a smart-ish device from the 90s that was programmable.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1062 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
noelliam wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 4:53 pm
I wish there was a smart switch dimmer that worked 3-way. My research comes up empty. Is anyone aware of one? Or a workaround to give smart control and dimmability to a 3-way switch?
Levtion has one that work with WIFI, 3 way dimmer.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1748 posts
254 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
I thought I did a lousy job to let the switch half way out of the wall socket. This thing is really big. Is there a way to squeeze it in the box?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30115 posts
4772 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mrpricematch wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:07 pm
Can I install this if my switch only has two wires? or, will it require some extra rigging and adding extra wires? I think, the TP link has 4 wires from the reviews?
You can't use it. It requires a neutral wire to keep the switched powered.

There are 4 wires. Ground, Line, Load and Neutral

You can ground to anything in the box. Line and Load is obvious, but without a neutral, it will not work.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1878 posts
433 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Mine looks just like the regular switch it replaced.

You might need to get a larger electrical box...
ma678 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:42 pm
I thought I did a lousy job to let the switch half way out of the wall socket. This thing is really big. Is there a way to squeeze it in the box?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30115 posts
4772 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ma678 wrote:
All smart switches are big. The best thing to do is push the neutral bundle in your box to one side and then push as hard as you can to force the switch into the box

The key is to organize the existing wires in the box, it will still be a tight fit, but it is not too bad
May 27, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes
How did i miss this? I reserved 2 online and picked it up at the store later during the evening. Was this free Mini YMMV or was it a Thursday only special?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1327 posts
1176 upvotes
Montreal
This price was here for a while. Dunno how this can be considered as hot anymore.
Maybe you just woke up but with this same price i got a free google home mini last week and 29$ for a google home mini the week before.
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Nov 24, 2012
636 posts
404 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Bessem wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 3:26 am
This price was here for a while. Dunno how this can be considered as hot anymore.
Maybe you just woke up but with this same price i got a free google home mini last week and 29$ for a google home mini the week before.
If you're referring to the Best Buy event, IIRC the free Google Home Mini was an error on the system that was quickly corrected. It's great if you got one, but not something that one should expect to see again any time soon.
Jun 21, 2009
160 posts
137 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 5:28 pm
Advantages of Z-Wave or Zigbee over WiFi:

1. Less clutter of devices on your WiFi network. All of these smart home devices phone home every few seconds. By the time you get a dozen smart home WiFi devices on your network, it's starting to cause some interference.
What interference? All my smart things devices are on a different SSID on 2.5 GHz channels. All my computers are on a 5 GHz SSID and use completey different channels. If I my netscout airmagnet tool, my channel utilization is perfectly fine.

Those vlans corresponding to different SSIDs are trunked from the Meraki access points to a Meraki switch. The vlan corresponding to my smart things devices is then split off as an access port to a Palo Alto 800 series firewall.

I don't think you understand the way wifi works. At work, I just rebuilt out enterprise network at work to carry voice and video traffic from anywhere in the organization. (end to end QoS). We everything from the heat maps / throughput testing to device configuration
2. Less security risk. Every device that's on your local network is a gateway with security dependent on whoever wrote the firmware for that device. And you just know that it's buggy and poorly tested at best, or even potentially offering a deliberate back door in some cases. Your Z-Wave or Zigbee hub is also a security risk, but at least it's one common risk for all connected devices.

3. Both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices can create a mesh network (optional capability, depends if they included it). That can extend the network to greater distances and into weak reception areas.
The vlan for my smart things devices goes to a firewall on a separate interface than any of the devices in my home. Only specific ports are open to specific destinations. If a device is compromised, it cannot be used as a launching pad to anything else.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3684 posts
2546 upvotes
blue dragon wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:00 am
What interference? All my smart things devices are on a different SSID on 2.5 GHz channels. All my computers are on a 5 GHz SSID and use completey different channels. If I my netscout airmagnet tool, my channel utilization is perfectly fine.

Those vlans corresponding to different SSIDs are trunked from the Meraki access points to a Meraki switch. The vlan corresponding to my smart things devices is then split off as an access port to a Palo Alto 800 series firewall.

I don't think you understand the way wifi works. At work, I just rebuilt out enterprise network at work to carry voice and video traffic from anywhere in the organization. (end to end QoS). We everything from the heat maps / throughput testing to device configuration
It does help to have your computers and other devices needing high bandwidth on 5 GHz, while all your smart home devices are on 2.4 GHz. But the V in VLAN stands for "Virtual". Using a VLAN or different SSIDs has nothing to do with WiFi interference. It's like saying that extra cars on the road don't cause congestion because they are using the commuter lane.

While smart home devices don't generally use a lot of bandwidth, people tend to under-estimate just how much messaging they do. If you have a bunch of WiFi smart home devices, I encourage you to fire up Wireshark and take a look at just how much traffic there is.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2746 posts
2145 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:12 pm
Should keep it all Z-Wave. Technology is way better than WiFi
Why? What advantage does Z-Wave have over Wifi in this case?

Z-Wave's main advantage over Wifi is power usage, you can have battery powered Z-Wave devices that last for months, perhaps even years. You can't get that with a Wifi device.

However, this is a light switch, if there is no AC power you're not going to be switching on the light anyways, so that advantage is worth exactly zero.

About the ONLY thing I can see is these switches require a neutral wire, and SOME Z-Wave and Zigbee switches do not, so if you have a house that doesn't have a neutral wire in the box you don't have a choice.

Going Z-Wave means you need a hub, a hub compatible with all the devices you want to use. THAT is a mine field, where Z-Wave was SUPPOSED to be better then Zigbee but isn't, there are MANY Z-Wave devices that won't work with certain hubs, it's a complete and utter minefield.

The other area Z-Wave and Zigbee was SUPPOSED to have an advantage was per device cost. I haven't seen that advantage. In fact, I find Wifi enabled devices are often CHEAPER then their equivalent Z-Wave and Zigbee cousins, it makes no sense to me, perhaps it's a bit of profiteering by the manufacturers, perhaps it's because the Wifi space has MUCH more REAL competition, I don't know.

Wifi enabled smart home devices are fantastic, don't require a hub, often cheaper, if it's a usage where having power available is a given, go Wifi IMHO.
Jun 21, 2009
160 posts
137 upvotes
I run a rotating capture on all the traffic leaving my network . I know exactly what vlan means. I'm CCIE certified and work as a network engineering manager for one of the large pension funds. Prior to that I built out low latency networks for two institutional brokerages that do HFT. Wireless is a contention media, that doesn't mean having 12 devices will cause interference.

Here are the amounts of data transferred by my tp-link switches for today (taken from my meraki dashboard)

If I were to look at the utilization for one, it is in bytes per second

There is no way this will cause interference
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2746 posts
2145 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Advantages of Z-Wave or Zigbee over WiFi:

1. Less clutter of devices on your WiFi network. All of these smart home devices phone home every few seconds. By the time you get a dozen smart home WiFi devices on your network, it's starting to cause some interference.
FUD, completely FUD. Care to supply a source for this assertion? If you have a dozen smart home devices that cause 'interference', you have either faulty smart home devices, or have a completely crap router. WIFI isn't as fragile as you're trying to make it out to be.

FWIW, I have 11 of these TP-Link devices, along with about a dozen other 'smart home' devices (plugs, thermostats, sensors, WIFI bulbs, etc) and I don't experience any hint of 'interference'.
Exp315 wrote:
2. Less security risk. Every device that's on your local network is a gateway with security dependent on whoever wrote the firmware for that device. And you just know that it's buggy and poorly tested at best, or even potentially offering a deliberate back door in some cases. Your Z-Wave or Zigbee hub is also a security risk, but at least it's one common risk for all connected devices.
Hehe, then put those devices on their own network. Almost every router out there has 'guest network' functionality, or spend $10 and buy a 2.4GHz router for your IOT devices.

Frankly, this is FUD anyways, most smart home devices are made by companies making equipment you probably already use in your house. Heck, TP-Link is one of the most popular router manufacturers right now.

And finally, if a rouge device can do anything harmful to you on your network, other then sucking up bandwidth, I'd say your network is designed poorly, and that's on YOU. If you want a secure network you HAVE to assume someone is plugged into it, IoT devices or not. What, are you enabling windows file sharing or something?
Exp315 wrote:
3. Both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices can create a mesh network (optional capability, depends if they included it). That can extend the network to greater distances and into weak reception areas.
If you have a mansion big enough that 2.4GHz can't reach then I'd grant you that, but consider this: if there are dead spots in your WIFI in your home, wouldn't you want to fix that anyways?

Guess what those mesh WIFI devices are good for, and why they're so popular? The 'mesh' network that Z-Wave devices create is only good for your Z-Wave devices, won't help your iPad's WIFI connection.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2746 posts
2145 upvotes
ma678 wrote:
Just push as hard as you can. Home electrical wiring is robust, if your pushing hard on it 'breaks' something the wiring was no good to begin with. I consider the pushing it in as a test.
Last edited by repatch on Dec 16th, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.