Sep 28, 2010
10541 posts
2695 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
viruswire wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 12:38 pm
Hi - any dimmer switch on sale? Thanks
amazon-ca-z-wave-dimmer-switch-repeater ... 6-2249553/
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1523 posts
456 upvotes
BC
repatch wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 5:54 pm
Wow, seems like I'm not allowed to paraphrase. Fine, here is a direct quote:

"By the time you get a dozen smart home WiFi devices on your network, it's starting to cause some interference."

That is patently false, Show me a source to back up this claim?

The false part is that it's long past "starting".

You're thinking interference means stops working or something. There's interference with just an AP and a single client by way of propagation, protocol and accessing the medium. This is not up for debate, this is WiFi mac design and why there's collision detection and exponential backoffs. To argue this means you didn't understand what you learned in CCIE.

You're just needing to define "unacceptable interference", which varies with needs and environment.

No doubt, having 12 low quality devices will increase hidden node problem and increase interference. Again, this is expected. They will have poor receive filtering and poor transmit power. This will increase retries for everyone on the AP. Examples of hidden node problem is usually shown with just 3-4 clients.

There's numerous reports and studies showing aggregate throughput of an AP decreases with client count. You can find many independent Tolly reports on 20-30 client tests between various enterprise AP vendors. This is why there exists technology like wimax and LTE that uses the entire channel for themselves, orchestrating who can transmit and when, so the collisions and exponential backoffs don't hobble the aggregate throughput for everyone.

The more low quality connections on your AP, the worse the maximum performance of an AP/channel can be.

So talking about acceptable interference, you can have 500 clients on a special AP (I've done 512). They'll just need to be very low volume, traffic will be in the kbps and rtt in seconds. This is fine for forklifts in a warehouse doing bar code scans every few minutes at best. It would not stream video.

So in conclusion, if a single client took a speed test and then you added 12 low volume clients with varying modulations and signal levels, the same speed test would not be achievable. Guaranteed. Adding devices, even with very low usage, reduces peak efficiency and performance and will cause some level of degradation vs a single client.

Edit: I should mention, in order to get high client counts with Enterprise class AP's, they generally have to break WiFi standards and are often proprietary. Such as disabling low mandatory bit rates or ignoring exponential backoffs.
Last edited by Timbo420 on Dec 19th, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo: $40/5GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1523 posts
456 upvotes
BC
Gee wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 3:55 pm
Switches don't broadcast. Switches store and forward directly to a MAC address. Repeaters (Hubs) broadcast and I haven't seen one of those in over 20 years.

https://www.wlanpros.com/resources/reme ... domain-is/

Granted, a computer does broadcast when it makes a request because there is no specific destination (MAC Address). In WiFi, the entire channel is a collision domain. Unless your access point supports Wave 2, you're broadcasting to every device.

I do agree that the amount of traffic used by WiFi switches are minimal and barely moves the needle. But the more devices you have on your network, the more chatter you will have.
Yes, they do. They have MAC address learning tables and expire them out periodically so you can switch ports on a switch without reboot. Until they know what port to reach a MAC address, they send to all ports until they use arp or traffic responses to learn what port the MAC is on. After that, unicast packets will only send to switch port for that MAC.
Koodo: $40/5GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29821 posts
4610 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Timbo420 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 8:12 pm
Yes, they do. They have MAC address learning tables and expire them out periodically so you can switch ports on a switch without reboot. Until they know what port to reach a MAC address, they send to all ports until they use arp or traffic responses to learn what port the MAC is on. After that, unicast packets will only send to switch port for that MAC.
Even so, it’s not constantly broadcasting. A single broadcast periodically is a lot less traffic than what you would get from WiFi switches being polled constantly.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1860 posts
431 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Functionality wise it's on par with my zwave switches. Might be a slight delay, but it's barely noticeable and using Alexa, it always obeyed the command. But I hate the manual switch functionality, don't like that the on/off are both at the bottom...
Gee wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 2:18 am
Even so, it’s not constantly broadcasting. A single broadcast periodically is a lot less traffic than what you would get from WiFi switches being polled constantly.
Jun 21, 2009
153 posts
133 upvotes
Timbo420 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 8:12 pm
You are talking about data plane traffic, (traffic passing through the switch for broadcast, and unknown unicast traffic). The switch itself is not broadcasting. The only time switches will broadcast is from the control plane if the switch is an L3 switch. Arp to find neighbours participating in routing protocols, and IGPs like OSPF, EIGRP, RIP all use multicast in their default configuration.
ou're thinking interference means stops working or something. There's interference with just an AP and a single client by way of propagation, protocol and accessing the medium. This is not up for debate, this is WiFi mac design and why there's collision detection and exponential backoffs. To argue this means you didn't understand what you learned in CCIE.
Now you are mixing up CS/MACD from ethernet with RF transmission mechanism from wireless. 12 devices transmitted in the order of 300kb/day (150kb down and 150kb up), The amount of time that these devices are actually transmitting is minuscule.
Last edited by blue dragon on Dec 20th, 2018 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jan 7, 2014
705 posts
197 upvotes
calgary
AntonioG23218 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 2:58 am
How did i miss this? I reserved 2 online and picked it up at the store later during the evening. Was this free Mini YMMV or was it a Thursday only special?
they found the glitch right away
Jan 7, 2014
705 posts
197 upvotes
calgary
AntonioG23218 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 2:58 am
How did i miss this? I reserved 2 online and picked it up at the store later during the evening. Was this free Mini YMMV or was it a Thursday only special?
i put one of the mini in the garage and say goodbye and shuts everything off
Jan 7, 2014
705 posts
197 upvotes
calgary
TurboTronix wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 6:09 pm
There's a zwave switch for 25$ and a dimmer for 29$ on Amazon, someone posted it on RFD. Going to bring back my tplink...
i need a zwave hub for my schlage,, any recomendation?
Sep 24, 2011
3 posts
Markham
Anyone else have issues with these?
I installed 4 of them over the weekend, all 4 intermittently go into "local only" meaning its lost connection to the internet but not local network.

Anyone have a fix for this?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29821 posts
4610 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TurboTronix wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 8:22 am
Functionality wise it's on par with my zwave switches. Might be a slight delay, but it's barely noticeable and using Alexa, it always obeyed the command. But I hate the manual switch functionality, don't like that the on/off are both at the bottom...
I’ve never complained about the function of the switches, I’m sure they all work fine regardless of brand. My point is that there’s better technology out there that doesn’t require you to be in that over crowded 2. GHz space.
May 27, 2018
25 posts
4 upvotes
blitz23 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:28 am
i put one of the mini in the garage and say goodbye and shuts everything off
Makes sense, thanks. Now I feel better.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1860 posts
431 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
blitz23 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:29 am
i need a zwave hub for my schlage,, any recomendation?
Get a raspberry pi3 and the open source hass.io, it's free and very powerful however it's for the diy out there. You'll need a zwave usb device such as Aeon Labs ZStick Gen5...

If your not savvy then the are plenty options out there such as Smartthings by Samsung.