Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] TP-Link Smart LED Bulbs

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 12:32 pm
[OP]
Member
Jul 15, 2010
263 posts
512 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] TP-Link Smart LED Bulbs

So I've been looking around at smart bulbs for a while, notice that this brand is on sale right now for all the bulbs.

It doesn't require a bridge or anything to set up either.

There is also a special going on as well, but I don't know the expiration.

3 Special Offers
​Spend $500 or more on Smart Home Products and receive $80 off

​Spend $350 or more on Smart Home Products and receive $50 off

​Spend $200 or more on Smart Home Products and receive $25 off

GET Google Home for $149.99 with the purchase of any Smart Lighting Product

GET Google Home Mini for $49.99 with the purchase of any Smart Lighting product
12 replies
Member
Dec 16, 2015
231 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FWIW, they survived winter (so far).
Jr. Member
Feb 4, 2017
128 posts
90 upvotes
I have 8 of the dimmable white bulbs set up in my apartment along with a few Google Home minis. They work pretty well and integrate well with Google Assistant. The ones that are farthest from the router sometimes struggle a bit since the 2.4 GHz band is pretty congested in my building (the bulbs do not support 5 GHz) but it's uncommon for them not to work, and I suspect that in a house with less WiFi congestion this would be even less common. But I would make sure you have a good router that can handle lots of devices if you want to get a bunch of these.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2009
3734 posts
2699 upvotes
Toronto
etgohomeok wrote: I have 8 of the dimmable white bulbs set up in my apartment along with a few Google Home minis. They work pretty well and integrate well with Google Assistant. The ones that are farthest from the router sometimes struggle a bit since the 2.4 GHz band is pretty congested in my building (the bulbs do not support 5 GHz) but it's uncommon for them not to work, and I suspect that in a house with less WiFi congestion this would be even less common. But I would make sure you have a good router that can handle lots of devices if you want to get a bunch of these.
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get a hub system for that many bulbs?
Jr. Member
Feb 4, 2017
128 posts
90 upvotes
redkulat wrote: Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get a hub system for that many bulbs?
Not sure, are bulbs that connect to hubs that much cheaper? I should mention I bought them all on sale for less than $20 each. Amazon has them on sale constantly.

Regardless, I didn't buy them all at once. It started with a couple then grew, as these things do, and once you buy one you're kind of committed to that system...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
TP-Link offers 4 dimmable WiFi bulbs: LB100 (50 watts), LB110 (60 watts), LB120 (adjust white balance), and LB130 (change colour). They go on sale fairly frequently. The current sale is not quite the best ever, but close enough if you want one.

I got the LB100 last year on sale for $17. Most of the time it works fine, but a couple of observations:
- Every couple of weeks it loses its network connection and doesn't get it back until reset. No idea why - it gets a decent WiFi signal at its location.
- The brightness scale is very non-linear, i.e., 20% requested is about 60% actual, so automatic brightening schedules don't work well. I wish TP-Link would have calibrated it better.
- Control is via the Kasa app and TP-Link's Kasa internet service, so you are dependent on an outside service to control it (except that it can execute a pre-set schedule locally)

Via Kasa it is supported by Google, Alexa, IFTTT, Stringify, SmartThings etc.

If you are going to buy several smart bulbs, you might want to reconsider whether WiFi is the right way to go - a ZWave or Zigbee system has the up-front cost of a hub, but the bulbs are cheaper and they won't be adding traffic to your WiFi network.
Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2009
420 posts
466 upvotes
BC
I have LB120 and LB130 bulbs. The 120s are good; the built in tunable temperature feature keeps the light lower and warmer when it's dark outside and brighter and bluer when the sun's out. Unfortunately, the 130s colour is way off when using the tunable temperature feature, which yields really gross, purple/violet colours during daylight hours; basically unusable in this mode.
Jr. Member
Aug 22, 2005
194 posts
117 upvotes
Quick question for owners, is there some sort of override like a double switch flip to bypass the WiFi switch? I’d like to use these where I have a 4-pole switch setup, but if there is no manual override it could cause some problems for my use case.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Freakatola wrote: Quick question for owners, is there some sort of override like a double switch flip to bypass the WiFi switch? I’d like to use these where I have a 4-pole switch setup, but if there is no manual override it could cause some problems for my use case.
You can set the bulb to turn on at either full brightness or at the last setting when it is powered on.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1095 posts
616 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: TP-Link offers 4 dimmable WiFi bulbs: LB100 (50 watts), LB110 (60 watts), LB120 (adjust white balance), and LB130 (change colour). They go on sale fairly frequently. The current sale is not quite the best ever, but close enough if you want one.

I got the LB100 last year on sale for $17. Most of the time it works fine, but a couple of observations:
- Every couple of weeks it loses its network connection and doesn't get it back until reset. No idea why - it gets a decent WiFi signal at its location.
- The brightness scale is very non-linear, i.e., 20% requested is about 60% actual, so automatic brightening schedules don't work well. I wish TP-Link would have calibrated it better.
- Control is via the Kasa app and TP-Link's Kasa internet service, so you are dependent on an outside service to control it (except that it can execute a pre-set schedule locally)

Via Kasa it is supported by Google, Alexa, IFTTT, Stringify, SmartThings etc.

If you are going to buy several smart bulbs, you might want to reconsider whether WiFi is the right way to go - a ZWave or Zigbee system has the up-front cost of a hub, but the bulbs are cheaper and they won't be adding traffic to your WiFi network.
Same here . I got 2 LB120 and they are pretty good. My only complaint is they don't support 5GHz and in my area the 2.4GHz is also very congested (I guess the same for everyone who live in GTA) ... so I also find the bulbs would get disconnected every now and then ... say about every week. Turning the physical light switch off and back on usually resets it.

But the LB120 is very bright, I usually never even go over 60% brightness in my bedroom.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3988 posts
730 upvotes
Windsor
Got two of the LB120 today... Pretty nice except one of the two hums really loudly when dimmed, so I'll either have to return it or contact TP-Link...

Top