• Jan 30th, 2020 9:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2017
21 posts
39 upvotes

[Best Buy] Twinkly Smart Light Clearance YMMV

It looks like all the 400 bulb sets are sold out or regular price, but the 250 and 150 are now clearance priced. The 250s were on sale for 99.99 yesterday $80 off, and are now clearance priced at $80 making them about the same deal as the $149.99 400 string set.
Last edited by deaner835 on Jan 24th, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Jul 13, 2016
53 posts
49 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Here are some details from the webpage:
IP44 water resistance protects the light string from water splashing and small particles, allowing for use in both indoor and outdoor settings

Tested to -15 degrees Celsius; not intended for use outdoors below -15 degrees Celsius
I'd prefer IP54 or greater but they should last outdoors if they're off the ground and not in any unusual conditions. I would heed their warning and put the power brick and control module inside a little box of foam insulation. That would help keep the temperature up (or keep temperature changes less dramatic anyway) and shouldn't cost more than $5.
Oct 23, 2018
277 posts
147 upvotes
Amazing after i installed it on my Christmas tree. I would recommend 2 sets to make my 7.5 ft. Really bright and beautiful. All my visitors are really amazed by this light.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1051 posts
431 upvotes
Very strange! Back up to regular price now!!!
RFD has saved & made me $$$
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11367 posts
2818 upvotes
Dead, back to regular price.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2188 posts
440 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
deaner835 wrote: The 250s were on sale for 99.99 yesterday $80 off, and are now clearance priced at $80 making them about the same deal as the $149.99 400 string set.
not sure what they're doing with the pricing... that's best buy. lol I think someone at BB screwed up on the 250 string pricing. I think the previous $99 was supposed to have been a sale price but didn't display that way. then they 'clearance' priced them to $80.. then someone caught it. hmm.. i wonder if I call in if they'll adjust my pricing to the $80

I grabbed 4 of the 250 sets at what was the 'regular' $99 price when the 400's sold out at the 'sale' pricing. I was waiting for a 'sale' price to come on the 250's so I could get a bit more adjusted off.. now they're $179 regular price :facepalm:

over the holidays it didn't matter whether 150, 250, 400 sale or reg displayed pricing. I think they all worked out within 2-3 cents per bulb of each other.

I almost jumped at a bunch more walking through my local (ymmv) Canadian Tire last week as they had the 105 bulb starter kits on clearance for $39 each. did the math and it wasn't any better of a deal per bulb than what I already had. if they'd withstand our outdoor temps here, I'd likely have purchased more but essentially only good for indoor, unless you plan on Christmas in the summer.

stocktrack.ca link to sku 399-3257-4
Images
  • 20191229_112148_HDR.jpg
  • 20191229_112152.jpg
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2549 posts
1037 upvotes
Sudbury
Was going to jump on this....should just did it...hopefully they will be on sale at another point before the holidays in 2020.
Sep 10, 2004
108 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
As a note for the handy, compared to the regular price you can pick up strands from Amazon for about $13/50 lights and cheaper from China, and then hacks raspberry Pi or an ESP chip to do similar - but I wish I’d caught those sale prices.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2549 posts
1037 upvotes
Sudbury
j0yb0y wrote: As a note for the handy, compared to the regular price you can pick up strands from Amazon for about $13/50 lights and cheaper from China, and then hacks raspberry Pi or an ESP chip to do similar - but I wish I’d caught those sale prices.
Please provide more information on this...i have two Pi B3+ that are sitting here doing FA....i'd love to attempt this.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11367 posts
2818 upvotes
j0yb0y wrote: As a note for the handy, compared to the regular price you can pick up strands from Amazon for about $13/50 lights and cheaper from China, and then hacks raspberry Pi or an ESP chip to do similar - but I wish I’d caught those sale prices.
kanewtz wrote: Please provide more information on this...i have two Pi B3+ that are sitting here doing FA....i'd love to attempt this.
Those strands would have to have individually powered and switched bulbs, would they not? You could rig the lights in sequence, but doubtful you could get "each LED" to act independently.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Aug 7, 2008
414 posts
140 upvotes
How many are people using to light their tree? I bought 3 packs of 250 to light a 8 ft tree but contemplating another box or 2 at this price? Thoughts?
[OP]
Apr 19, 2017
21 posts
39 upvotes
haushinka wrote: How many are people using to light their tree? I bought 3 packs of 250 to light a 8 ft tree but contemplating another box or 2 at this price? Thoughts?
Here is a calculator from the twinkly website on their recommendation on how many lights to get

https://twinkly.com/leds-calculator/

I just bought 2 more boxes so i can go the "fabulous" amount haha