• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 11:45 am
[OP]
Nov 29, 2008
176 posts
52 upvotes

[Best Buy] Ufile - 12 returns

Not sure if it is posted already?

For those who prefer to install tax software vs doing it online. Best Buy has the 12 returns + 4 for low income for $24.99. This a $7 dollar savings vs buying it online from Ufile.ca

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/uf ... assortment
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1936 posts
1308 upvotes
Vancouver
Pay-for-software-to-file-your-taxes is a government-supported scam. Canadians have become so used to it it seems normal, but this is unheard of almost everywhere else. Canada and the USA are the only two countries I can find where the national tax authority doesn't directly provide you with free electronic filing.

There are free options for online filing, like StudioTax. And there's always paper. But me pay some government-authorized private company to do my own taxes? Never have, never will. Nobody should be supporting this scam any longer.
Last edited by Kiraly on Jan 12th, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2011
349 posts
213 upvotes
http://www.studiotax.com/en/

Totally FREE, everything is stored locally on your PC!.
been using it every years, and the gouv never found any errors in my declaration.

and it is very easy to use.
Oct 8, 2009
935 posts
330 upvotes
Kitchener
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:41 pm
Pay-for-software-to-file-your-taxes is a government-supported scam. Canadians have become so used to it it seems normal, but this is unheard of almost everywhere else. Canada and the USA are the only two countries I can find where the national tax authority doesn't directly provide you with free electronic filing.

There are free options for online filing, like StudioTax. And there's always paper. But me pay some government-authorized private company to do my own taxes? Never have, never will. Nobody should be supporting this scam any longer.
sobig wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:45 pm
http://www.studiotax.com/en/

Totally FREE, everything is stored locally on your PC!.
been using it every years, and the gouv never found any errors in my declaration.

and it is very easy to use.
Does studio tax have the correct/method for child day care and other child deductions?

Thanks for the info about it - thanked!
Aug 2, 2007
185 posts
86 upvotes
I used simpletax.ca last year which I thought was great. Donated $15 to the developers.
Modern looking UI, cloud, good for landlords (myself) and self-stock investor.
Since it's free, try it out.
I didn't like StudioTax because it was missing a form for Landlord business expenses. So you had to go to the CRA website, fill it out, plug back in some of the numbers.
Jul 14, 2014
106 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville, ON
+1 for simpletax

Not paying for tax software
Last edited by abkdt41 on Jan 12th, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6962 posts
5178 upvotes
Oakville
The best way to do it would be to have the gov't give us the tax returns, they we check/update it. For 90% of the people the gov't has all of the info they need already. we'd just add our tax deductions and be done.
Apr 2, 2009
155 posts
90 upvotes
vancouver
+1 for simpletax.ca - intuitive, clean UI, and covers lots of scenarios. Also, FREE!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1145 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I just wonder why will need 12 return, is it only good for big family? Thanks in advance.
Simple is the best.
Nov 23, 2012
220 posts
78 upvotes
Sherbrooke, Qc
HeinzKetchup wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:06 pm
I used simpletax.ca last year which I thought was great. Donated $15 to the developers.
Modern looking UI, cloud, good for landlords (myself) and self-stock investor.
Since it's free, try it out.
I didn't like StudioTax because it was missing a form for Landlord business expenses. So you had to go to the CRA website, fill it out, plug back in some of the numbers.
This, very easy to use and thorough. I had a great time using it, I think I did everything in 15 minutes at most.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5390 posts
1396 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Thanks op. And yes i understand that there's free option out but ive been buying ufile for years because we are used to it. Also we split the cost between friends and family so it doesnt cost much per return in the end :)
Oct 22, 2015
845 posts
210 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:07 am
TurboTax also have a free version if you dont have complicated tax returns...

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/index.jsp

i used it last year and will do it again this year.
Is it the online version only?
Also what determines is it's free for someone?

I want to start using studiotax this year but is there a way to continue using TurboTax or ufile to confirm numbers without paying?
From what I understand you only pay for the online version if you file?
Nov 30, 2015
189 posts
77 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:33 pm
The best way to do it would be to have the gov't give us the tax returns, they we check/update it. For 90% of the people the gov't has all of the info they need already. we'd just add our tax deductions and be done.
Announcement this week (link) from the govt is an indication they are heading that way. It's only a very small step as it's by telephone (what's that?) rather than internet/online. Maybe for seniors and low income folks who don't have internet anyway.

If past history is any indication, eg govt payroll or ehealth, it will cost us taxpayers another few billions to put a new tax filing system in place. I have a feeling it is better for us to pay a few dollars each now than to let the govt spend a few billions of our taxpayer money on a filing system that they will never get right. They should just buy out a small outfit like Studiotax and make the app available to all taxpayers for free as a start and build improvements on that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6962 posts
5178 upvotes
Oakville
lazybummer wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:06 am
Announcement this week (link) from the govt is an indication they are heading that way. It's only a very small step as it's by telephone (what's that?) rather than internet/online. Maybe for seniors and low income folks who don't have internet anyway.

If past history is any indication, eg govt payroll or ehealth, it will cost us taxpayers another few billions to put a new tax filing system in place. I have a feeling it is better for us to pay a few dollars each now than to let the govt spend a few billions of our taxpayer money on a filing system that they will never get right. They should just buy out a small outfit like Studiotax and make the app available to all taxpayers for free as a start and build improvements on that.
If 20 million of us are spending $20 each to file taxes, that's $400 million a year wasted. So if the gov't can do it for less than 10 years of tax filings ($4 billion), then I'd say we're ahead.

But really, why would they spend anything? If there's a free solution that works just tell people to use it. They could spend a few millions advertising it. Really though, the gov't should give the studiotax guys a couple dollars per filing so they can upgrade their servers to handle it.