• Apr 19th, 2012 6:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9463 posts
1555 upvotes
Victoria
bylo wrote: Therein lies the conundrum. Physical retailers can only compete against lower-priced online retailers by differentiating themselves with exemplary customer service, including "generous return policies, on-the-spot product try-outs, & etc conveniences." People will pay more at a bricks and mortar store if they feel they're getting something extra for the premium price. Unfortunately, instead of differentiating themselves, B&M retailers are working hard to cut prices and service in a futile effort to compete with online.

P.S. It's ironic, and a sad commentary on the state of retailing, that most of the retailers with the best customer service and return policies operate online, e.g. Amazon, Zappos, ClearlyContacts, etc.

I think the way the marketing has been going, that people want to pay less. Better customer service is nice, but when it comes down to it why is someone going to pay $1000 for something they can pay for $900.

I think part of the article is that people will go into bestbuy.. check out the item they want, go back home, and order if off the internet. They basically freeride on the benefits you mentioned above. How does best buy cut out freeriders?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6268 posts
1097 upvotes
Wingding wrote: I think many of us have grown weary of the electronics treadmill. It has reached a point where many of the incremental improvements in technology -- at least the ones we can stomach -- truly don't justify the costs of upgrading. I'm also tired of having to constantly learn new systems and interfaces that really don't do a damn thing to improve my life in any measurable way.

I guess you are not an Apple fanboy then.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
From what I've read on rfd, the poor customer service and failures to abide by their price guarantee alone should kill them...anyone think the same thing?
Banned
Apr 4, 2012
8 posts
SHAWINIGAN
Jeez, I'd no idea BB had been around that long.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20596 posts
4691 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Customer service ain't going to help Best Buy or any retailer dealing with electronics. Technology has changed people buying needs.
1. More people are downloading music and movies rather than buying a cd or dvd. No need for a cd/dvd player.
2. More people are relying solely on their cellphone to keep in contact rather a house phone.
3. Personal alarms? Music players? Camera? Video camera? GPS? A smartphone can do all that! No need for multiple devices! Why do you think Garmin and others are offering free lifetime map updates?
4. The popularity of tablets will reduce the demand for netbooks, notebooks and laptops.

All these products once generated huge profits for the stores, but not anymore. Walk into any Wal Mart Electronics department and look at the shelves. They have to spread stuff to make the shelves look full!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19898 posts
13129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Not to worry if BB goes ByeBye: IKEA to add TVs, sound systems into furniture - The Globe and Mail[QUOTE]Already the one-stop shop for smart and compact home furnishing, IKEA has launched yet another product for your living room: the IKEA TV.

The new furniture range, named UPPLEVA, the Swedish word for experience, integrates an LED TV, a sound system with wireless bass speakers, an internet connection and CD, DVD and blu-ray players — all in one piece.

Although the TV and the other electronics are made by Chinese manufacturer TCL, IKEA has built everything around them, hiding the masses of cables that can be a nuisance and make a living room look shabby.

To further simplify things, IKEA and TCL have combined all the controls into a single remote control.

The furniture comes in three designs and will be sold first in Sweden, France, Poland, Germany and Italy in June, with a few more markets due to launch in the second half of the year. By the first half of next year, it will be available worldwide, with the cheapest costing about $955 U.S....[/QUOTE]
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Never cared for Worst Buy unless they're having a sale on something like a new external hard drive. For something that could crap out within a month, I'd rather go there than some dodgy computer shop that would give me a huge hassle about doing an exchange. - I'm looking at you, the king of crap Computer Liquidators. With Future Shop, almost always had a positive experience there. The staff are much more professional and less likely to lie to you, even though they are commission based sales reps. - If they lie to you, and the product doesn't live up to your expectations you can just return it and the guy gets no commission from the sale at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4299 posts
1819 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote: Never cared for Worst Buy unless they're having a sale on something like a new external hard drive. For something that could crap out within a month, I'd rather go there than some dodgy computer shop that would give me a huge hassle about doing an exchange. - I'm looking at you, the king of crap Computer Liquidators. With Future Shop, almost always had a positive experience there. The staff are much more professional and less likely to lie to you, even though they are commission based sales reps. - If they lie to you, and the product doesn't live up to your expectations you can just return it and the guy gets no commission from the sale at all.

If I had to pick one I would say my experience would be almost polar opposite. FS employees are MORE likely to lie to you. But trying to pick between the two is like trying to pick whether you prefer being punched or kicked.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33713 posts
3732 upvotes
Winnipeg
well apple can charge whatever they want and people still buy them like iSheeps, why can't anybody else do that?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19898 posts
13129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
divx wrote: why can't anybody else do that?
Some do, e.g. BMW, L'Oréal, Rolex, Hermes, etc.

As for retail, there will always be people who are prepared to pay more, e.g. AV at Bay Bloor Radio in Tronno.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26832 posts
12309 upvotes
cuddlydragon wrote: -when something is out of stock I like being able to phone a store to ask when an item gets restocked (I can't imagine how long it would take to get an e-mailed reply from an online store
Not that long.
cuddlydragon wrote: -I have no motivation to return something I've had shipped to me than had I bought from a local store (which is what online stores hope for), at least BB/FS has good options in regards to that
That's your own problem.
cuddlydragon wrote: -when I use a credit card to buy something online I save that payment as a last resort: I worry about hackers
You're more likely to get skimmed at the retail level than getting your card compromised at well known online retailer.
cuddlydragon wrote: I like that I can buy a BB/FS gift card from the local grocery store never needing to tell the online store more personal info than I have to
It's not like they ask for your measurements or turn ons. If anything some brick and mortar retailers ask that for their loyalty cards.
If you're that concerned about retailers knowing your name/address/phone number, it's time to use Cash. Gift Cards are still a paper trail.