[Best Buy] VIP Sale Thursday June 29th

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2017 6:07 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1854 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
The Orbi sucked with previous firmware, I had devices dropping connectivity that were fine with my Nighthawk router. I returned the orbi because of all the issues. Hopefully the new firmware have resolved those issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1153 posts
148 upvotes
ajacian81 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 10:49 am
Future shop wasn't a failure. They were just bought... by Best Buy.
They were bought by Best Buy years before they closed them down. It's probably because they realized finally they were competing for the same client base and future shop was making less money, because they paid their employees commission.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4480 posts
197 upvotes
Eluder wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:12 am
The Orbi sucked with previous firmware, I had devices dropping connectivity that were fine with my Nighthawk router. I returned the orbi because of all the issues. Hopefully the new firmware have resolved those issues.
Lol, I sold my nighthawk for the orbit and couldn't be happier!

My nighthawk was dropping left and right and had poor reception. Tried Google OnHub and that was a disaster for me. Tried Orbi based on reviews and haven't looked back. Phenomenal range/reception.

FYI, I believe the normal price is now $499 for the Orbi's, so not much of a sale.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Jul 31, 2016
159 posts
131 upvotes
Whitby
djpr wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:16 am
They were bought by Best Buy years before they closed them down. It's probably because they realized finally they were competing for the same client base and future shop was making less money, because they paid their employees commission.
Just because they were paying commission doesn't mean they were making less. The commission sales guys probably made more than the current floor reps or whatever at Best Buy that can't give a f*** you're in the store and make sure you know it too. "Oh you're in a hurry because you need this piece for work? Let me just finish this conversation with 2 other reps that aren't working either and when we're all done sharing how our weekends were, I'll get to you when I get to the people in line before you."
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1983 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
No cell phone deals really. I remember BB used to have the best sales.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5994 posts
1696 upvotes
Canada
konsensei wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 7:29 am
RIP Sale, maybe
Don't recall any VIP sale being any good.
Apr 28, 2017
224 posts
147 upvotes
xzero3631 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 7:50 am
When did best buy start selling cooking pots and jewellery? Seems so random

They've done it for years
Sep 9, 2015
330 posts
150 upvotes
Nanaimo
too bad they don't show tv deals. "in store only," and they aren't even showing prices in the flyer. they keep flip flopping from being online only to in store only, and it's annoying tbh.
Jun 11, 2003
68 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
TypeVR6 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:33 am
Lol, I sold my nighthawk for the orbit and couldn't be happier!

My nighthawk was dropping left and right and had poor reception. Tried Google OnHub and that was a disaster for me. Tried Orbi based on reviews and haven't looked back. Phenomenal range/reception.

FYI, I believe the normal price is now $499 for the Orbi's, so not much of a sale.
I bought mine from BB last week and it was 549.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17535 posts
3820 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
stokkes wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:09 am
The Netgear Orbi which is one of the highest rated WiFi mesh systems is $100 off.

Pretty good deal.
I have a largish house by city standards and a single centrally placed EX7000 gets me great reception everywhere. I struggle to imagine the mcmansions that must actually need a mesh wifi network. I guess if you have no ethernet in the house and put your router in a corner of the basement it would suck.
Last edited by BinaryJay on Jun 26th, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4480 posts
197 upvotes
stokkes wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:03 pm
I bought mine from BB last week and it was 549.
Mustve been a sale price I saw then ($499). Def a good deal at $449 tho.

The 10% back in BB GC for Sony TV's is also a decent ..deal
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Apr 13, 2017
176 posts
51 upvotes
Burnaby
ajacian81 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:34 am
Just because they were paying commission doesn't mean they were making less. The commission sales guys probably made more than the current floor reps or whatever at Best Buy that can't give a f*** you're in the store and make sure you know it too. "Oh you're in a hurry because you need this piece for work? Let me just finish this conversation with 2 other reps that aren't working either and when we're all done sharing how our weekends were, I'll get to you when I get to the people in line before you."
This. Just because RFDers gets turned off by commission reps doesn't mean rest of the population does too. The Future Shop I worked at did bigger numbers than the Best Buy across the street despite having a more wack location. Although to be fair it was much older and had an established customer base. That's another thing, many of these reps had loyal customers coming back and referring their friends. I'm not so certain Best Buy reps are as motivated to provide that level of service or to follow up with customers.

I was sad when they closed down because I still knew people there who would hook me up with discount =(
May 27, 2015
43 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like Philips 4K UHD Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player at $179.99 is a pretty good deal. Plays 4K Blu-rays and has Netflix 4K.

Looking to pair something with the 55" UHD Haier from RCSS no tax event.
Jul 31, 2016
159 posts
131 upvotes
Whitby
KamS046 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:45 pm
This. Just because RFDers gets turned off by commission reps doesn't mean rest of the population does too. The Future Shop I worked at did bigger numbers than the Best Buy across the street despite having a more wack location. Although to be fair it was much older and had an established customer base. That's another thing, many of these reps had loyal customers coming back and referring their friends. I'm not so certain Best Buy reps are as motivated to provide that level of service or to follow up with customers.

I was sad when they closed down because I still knew people there who would hook me up with discount =(
The funny thing is, Canadians, esp at RFD cheer for the downfall or demise of retailers here in Canada. They cheered when Future Shop (a Canadian company) was sold and then shuttered, they were happy to see Zellers go, then Target, happy to see Shop.ca get in financial trouble, and now rejoicing over Sears. And yet as competition goes down prices go up. I don't get it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1635 posts
646 upvotes
Winnipeg
xzero3631 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 7:50 am
When did best buy start selling cooking pots and jewellery? Seems so random
No more then Hitachi wands at Newegg.