Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Warm: NETGEAR Orbi 12-Stream Tri-Band AX6000 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK852) - 2 Pack - BestBuy Exclusive

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3275 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal, QC
zdpz wrote: Great for those who want a simple plug and play solution, though the much more powerful, high range, higher security, higher flexiblility, higher reliability solution would be to setup a ubiquiti edge router with unifi APs (Two UAC Pros or LRs) meshed throughout the house. Total cost would be less than $600.
I have two UAP-AC Lite in wireless uplink, extremely happy with it. I will not buy anything else than Ubiquiti in the future.
Sep 18, 2017
963 posts
1581 upvotes
Vancouver
People need to stop using "Smoking hot" in their Titanic-esque iceberg deals.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: Would anyone pay this high for this networking gear? It's more than the cost of a PS5..
Might surprise you but some people have different needs than yours...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jan 27, 2004
718 posts
81 upvotes
neonic wrote: Might surprise you but some people have different needs than yours...
lmao i know the pain of a crappy router .. i had an asus and dlink that couldn't quite reach my second floor bedroom.. missed out on the rbk50 for $100 and bought it for $270 on ebay. Got sick and tired of lagging esp in games.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: Would anyone pay this high for this networking gear? It's more than the cost of a PS5..
The real question is why anybody would pay so much for a PS5 when they can get those Retro type of video games systems for about a hundred bucks.... and still have lots of fun!

...I assume the answers to both are quite similar
Jan 17, 2010
234 posts
152 upvotes
kaiseki wrote: People need to stop using "Smoking hot" in their Titanic-esque iceberg deals.
This
Feb 5, 2013
216 posts
130 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: Generally, no one needs a super router of sorts (+$200 & "high" powered) unless you have almost a Full House situation with aunts, uncles, and their kids, living with you, all with devices, AND all within a densely packed space. These routers are better at handling multiple users and intensive streaming situations, but it's n/a for most of us.
A bigger and badder router doesn't necessarily have further range, think of it like someone in town having a megaphone that you can hear, but if you scream at the top of your lungs and he can't hear you then it doesn't matter - that's your dinky smartphone trying to communicate back.

Most people are better served with mid-range routers and multiple access points (APs). Think of it like wanting to have smoke detectors in various parts of the home, not just one place.
That is the best advice regarding consumer Wi-Fi (and even commercial for most use cases), that I've read on this forum, by far.

People, please listen to this guy. This guy InternetsSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Nov 28, 2015
45 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I professionally install Ubiquiti equipment and its amazing stuff for larger homes. I also really like TP-Link Omada gear. If I have to install a mesh network the Orbi is the goto setup. I'll only use the triband models. A wired backhaul is the best you can do but I find the Orbis to be incredible for the setup and money.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
My AC68P is good enough to cover my entire house.
With it positioned on the ground floor, I'm able to get 833Mbps anywhere on the top and ground floors.

Speed drops a bit in the basement, so I have a second router there.
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
112 posts
75 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: My AC68P is good enough to cover my entire house.
With it positioned on the ground floor, I'm able to get 833Mbps anywhere on the top and ground floors.

Speed drops a bit in the basement, so I have a second router there.
How do you test the speed?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
First time I ever see a "Smoking Hot" deal get 35 downvotes.
Dec 17, 2006
180 posts
71 upvotes
GTA
Was contemplating getting this to upgrade my RBK50 which did serve me well with one exception. Bought the TP-Link AX6000 router and to my surprise it gave me great coverage throughout the house and into the garage and with better speed performance as my laptop has wifi-6 so it could take advantage of that. Now contemplating selling the RBK 50.

and yes a good deal, but I wouldn't go for smoking hot.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2117 posts
1975 upvotes
You ever notice to correlation between calling something “HOT” in the title and the number of downvotes??

That said I have an Orbi setup and have no issues with range or speed.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
zerodev wrote: How do you test the speed?
I'm just looking at the network status page.
This is for my desktop, but it would be the same thing for a wireless adapter Image
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
zdpz wrote: Great for those who want a simple plug and play solution, though the much more powerful, high range, higher security, higher flexiblility, higher reliability solution would be to setup a ubiquiti edge router with unifi APs (Two UAC Pros or LRs) meshed throughout the house. Total cost would be less than $600.
I've used edgerouter for a couple of years! Never again!

Firmware is a piece of shit, I had to modify their dnsmasq script to get it working correctly for my LAN. yes, modify their code on the router!!!! Then recently, u-boot can't no longer load linux from FAT on the usb stick (yes, they use a usb stick inside and fricking FAT). Been there, lost the T-Shirt, never again.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
bogolisk wrote: I've used edgerouter for a couple of years! Never again!

Firmware is a piece of shit, I had to modify their dnsmasq script to get it working correctly for my LAN. yes, modify their code on the router!!!! Then recently, u-boot can't no longer load linux from FAT on the usb stick (yes, they use a usb stick inside and fricking FAT). Been there, lost the T-Shirt, never again.
What were you trying to do and what do you do it with instead now? What's your current setup?
I have no issues doing everything through Linux or their GUI. Have port by port rules, VLAN tagging, firewalls, metering, authentication, everything is working for all clients.

We have uptime of over 4 years.

With Netgear, cisqco and Asus I have seen reboots once a month.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sep 9, 2014
420 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Is there anyone who wouldn't mind answering some questions about mesh. I am a noob, please bare with me.
Jan 2, 2018
54 posts
16 upvotes
Sorry probably that was just me overjoyed on finding it as it retails for $699US, thus terming it Smoking Hot. My Bad. Rephrased to Warm. Cheers.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
zdpz wrote: What were you trying to do and what do you do it with instead now? What's your current setup?
I have no issues doing everything through Linux or their GUI. Have port by port rules, VLAN tagging, firewalls, metering, authentication, everything is working for all clients.

We have uptime of over 4 years.

With Netgear, cisqco and Asus I have seen reboots once a month.
Their dnsmasq code takes the hostname sent by the client. But most phones send sh!t as hostname in their dhcp request. I had to change it to use the hostnames in the config.

The other thing I had to do with the stupid CLI is parental control. That was a pain in the @rse!!!! so simple on other routers.

Anyway I bought the edgerouter lite in 2017, it never freezes or reboots by itself but its FAT partition on the internal usb key got corrupted in 2019. The recovery process sounds so painful that I gave up. It's simpler just to buy a new router.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Mar 26, 2015
237 posts
100 upvotes
Richmond, BC
I don't see $699, but regardless I recently got the Velop 4400, 4 nodes for a 3 story home

Would I be better off selling those and getting this? I got 1gb telus fibre

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)