Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

WD Easystore 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBAMA0120HBK-NESE) - $249.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2022 4:01 am
[OP]
Member
Dec 30, 2012
456 posts
937 upvotes
SURREY

[Best Buy] WD Easystore 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBAMA0120HBK-NESE) - $249.99

BB has the WD Easystore 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBAMA0120HBK-NESE) for $249.99 (SAVE $100)

$250/12 TB = 20.83 per TB

Today only but will go on sale again on Dec 24 for boxing day sale as per boxing day BB sale from another thread : https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-best-buy-boxing-day-deals-mini-flyer-sale-starts-3-am-et-december-24-2513319/5/
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a roundup of the best external hard drives!
41 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1453 posts
2057 upvotes
Kingston
Any clue if the drive is shuckable? And which one?
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 25, 2021
19 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
Think this'll be good for a 24/7 plex server on an old desktop PC? After being shucked
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1623 posts
1089 upvotes
Toronto
xtrmDeals wrote: Any clue if the drive is shuckable? And which one?
These drives are shuckable. The drives in the 12TB are WD120EDAZ or WD120EMFZ.
Skellantra wrote: Think this'll be good for a 24/7 plex server on an old desktop PC? After being shucked
Perfect for Plex Server, have a few 12/14TB in my Plex Server and no issues.
Member
Nov 1, 2021
246 posts
158 upvotes
I bought a WD 4T for $99 couple of years ago, it seems no big leap from there.
Member
Nov 1, 2021
246 posts
158 upvotes
Bleachway wrote: These drives are shuckable. The drives in the 12TB are WD120EDAZ or WD120EMFZ.



Perfect for Plex Server, have a few 12/14TB in my Plex Server and no issues.
The bigger the disk, the higher your risk. Imagine if it bites the dust suddenly, you'll loose 12T data.
Newbie
Jun 28, 2021
8 posts
3 upvotes
Got five last year, one from amazon.ca and 4 from BHphotos. All in my Synology NAS now. They have been running for a year now and have no issue. But I don't visit them often. BTW, I believe that I bought them around $239.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1623 posts
1089 upvotes
Toronto
Knighter wrote: The bigger the disk, the higher your risk. Imagine if it bites the dust suddenly, you'll loose 12T data.
Not worried, have backups in place.
Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
43 posts
66 upvotes
I’m a tech newb. Would this work with a PS5? Probably overkill for that alone but I could also use with my desktop
[OP]
Member
Dec 30, 2012
456 posts
937 upvotes
SURREY
Bleachway wrote: These drives are shuckable. The drives in the 12TB are WD120EDAZ or WD120EMFZ.



Perfect for Plex Server, have a few 12/14TB in my Plex Server and no issues.
I have a Synology DS920+ i guess these drives are not compatible as per Synology Products Compatibility List ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1623 posts
1089 upvotes
Toronto
hikes83 wrote: I’m a tech newb. Would this work with a PS5? Probably overkill for that alone but I could also use with my desktop
HDD is not what you use for a PS5. Look into a NVMe M2 drive for additional storage for your PS5.

You can look into;

Samsung 980 Pro
WD Black SN850
Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
43 posts
66 upvotes
Bleachway wrote: HDD is not what you use for a PS5. Look into a NVMe M2 drive for additional storage for your PS5.

You can look into;

Samsung 980 Pro
WD Black SN850
Thank you!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23131 posts
28652 upvotes
Is this a viable NAS drive if de-gloved and put into a RAID solution?
.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2001
5419 posts
1210 upvotes
rural ontario
redflagdealsguy wrote: Is this a viable NAS drive if de-gloved and put into a RAID solution?
I used the 14TB easystore for my NAS - I would imagine the 12TB would be just as usable.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23131 posts
28652 upvotes
rilles wrote: I used the 14TB easystore for my NAS - I would imagine the 12TB would be just as usable.
For light use, I'm sure. I'm thinking the SMR vs CMR issue.

I take your feedback as pro-this drive, for what it's worth.
.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2001
5419 posts
1210 upvotes
rural ontario
redflagdealsguy wrote: For light use, I'm sure. I'm thinking the SMR vs CMR issue.

I take your feedback as pro-this drive, for what it's worth.
i'm not aware of any drive maker who uses SMR above 8TB. The WD white label drives seem to be re-labeled RED pro.

With Seagate enclosures its easier because they put the drive in with the stock label.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23131 posts
28652 upvotes
rilles wrote: i'm not aware of any drive maker who uses SMR above 8TB. The WD white label drives seem to be re-labeled RED pro.

With Seagate enclosures its easier because they put the drive in with the stock label.
Big, if true.

Thank you.
.
Newbie
Oct 9, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
In for 2! Thanks op. HDD at the $20/TB sweetspot can't miss out!

Top