Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

WD Easystore 18TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive - 499.99 now - only on Aug 30

[OP]
Dec 30, 2010
86 posts
107 upvotes
North York

[Best Buy] WD Easystore 18TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive - 499.99 now - only on Aug 30

Best Buy Canada now have WD 18TB external HDD on sale for one day only on Aug 30.

It's 499.99 now, while regular price is 589.99.

It's the same price as Apr before HDD price surge.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2003
2053 posts
181 upvotes
Is the 14TB / 12TB where the sweet spot it when they go on sale?
[OP]
Dec 30, 2010
86 posts
107 upvotes
North York
I would say 14TB is the sweet spot now, when there was Seagate expansion 14 TB on sale for 324.99 early last week.
Dec 27, 2018
195 posts
281 upvotes
And not a year ago it goes on sale for 380.
I hate crypto, no graphic card for my gaming PC, no HDD for my storage.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5046 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
Wee bit pricey, I got the 14tb for $250 in December.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2541 posts
1120 upvotes
it is getting riskier and riskier with bigger and bigger hdd. If the drive is bad all your data is gone. Will need another drive as a backup. Not getting cheaper with bigger size.
Jul 31, 2021
142 posts
336 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: it is getting riskier and riskier with bigger and bigger hdd. If the drive is bad all your data is gone. Will need another drive as a backup. Not getting cheaper with bigger size.
Nah, you should always backups in layers. If data is important to you it should be stored in 3 different places.

Amazon S3 Glacier is dirt cheap for online backups.

So ideally you have one copy on the hard disk attached to your PC another one on your NAS and another one in the cloud.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3045 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm desperately out of space in my array and have been waiting for 4 months now for some sales on the 14tb again but no go. I wonder if I should jump on this or wait a couple more months. Surley the 14 or 16 will go on sale soon as hdds are always cheapest sept-Dec
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2541 posts
1120 upvotes
panditji wrote: Nah, you should always backups in layers. If data is important to you it should be stored in 3 different places.

So ideally you have one copy on the hard disk attached to your PC another one on your NAS and another one in the cloud.
is there a way to reduce the backup size? I do 1:1 backup to another drive the same size. So I just use sync software like freesync. I am sure there are other method but this is an easy way to do it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1004 posts
1072 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: it is getting riskier and riskier with bigger and bigger hdd. If the drive is bad all your data is gone. Will need another drive as a backup. Not getting cheaper with bigger size.
Yeah the bigger issue is restoring that from a backup. Even a 8TB being read back at full speed takes almost a day to do
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1004 posts
1072 upvotes
panditji wrote: Nah, you should always backups in layers. If data is important to you it should be stored in 3 different places.

Thanks i didnt realize S3 Glacier existed. That's amazing
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1206 posts
63 upvotes

Damn, that's expensive.. almost 1000$ total.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2541 posts
1120 upvotes
saudor wrote: Yeah the bigger issue is restoring that from a backup. Even a 8TB being read back at full speed takes almost a day to do
What software do you use for backup?. I just copy 1:1 to another drive so it is just an extra copy. Unless the restore method save more space I don’t see a reason to do it.
Nov 3, 2013
766 posts
1383 upvotes
Regina, SK
xpressmerchant wrote: What software do you use for backup?. I just copy 1:1 to another drive so it is just an extra copy. Unless the restore method save more space I don’t see a reason to do it.
I've been using GoodSync. Someone posted it here a year or two ago for free.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
2425 posts
621 upvotes
London

I just looked into S3 glacier, it's 4$/TB/month. Is that considered dirt cheap for cold storage? Seems more expensive than OneDrive which would be better suited for non-commercial use anyways right?
Nov 27, 2008
201 posts
180 upvotes
Thanks OP, this is good news. Looks like the MSRPs for big drives have officially dropped back down a bit since the Chia bump. Here's the price changes this year:

16TB: $450 -> $560 -> $460.
18TB: $500 -> $660 -> $590

Still quite a premium on the 18TB but the 16TB is almost back to pre-Chia levels.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1004 posts
1072 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: What software do you use for backup?. I just copy 1:1 to another drive so it is just an extra copy. Unless the restore method save more space I don’t see a reason to do it.
i use a bunch but for syncing/replicating, i use freefilesync. But im talking about a scenario when a drive dies so all of its contents needed to be restored in full. That gets incredibly time consuming with these monster drives
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2541 posts
1120 upvotes
brucedlx wrote: I just looked into S3 glacier, it's 4$/TB/month. Is that considered dirt cheap for cold storage? Seems more expensive than OneDrive which would be better suited for non-commercial use anyways right?
Cheap is relative I guess. To some folks $4/months is pennies.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5324 posts
4019 upvotes
TheDuffMan wrote: Thanks OP, this is good news. Looks like the MSRPs for big drives have officially dropped back down a bit since the Chia bump. Here's the price changes this year:

16TB: $450 -> $560 -> $460.
18TB: $500 -> $660 -> $590

Still quite a premium on the 18TB but the 16TB is almost back to pre-Chia levels.
wasnt it $20/tb prev covid?