Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

WD Easystore 8TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive (WDBAMA0080HBK-NESN) $169.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2020 5:26 pm
31 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1162 posts
1156 upvotes
Kingston
Shukable or are these the encrypted drives?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6494 posts
6782 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
This is the largest size that works for PS4/PS5 as an external drive fyi
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
1792 posts
1325 upvotes
Vancouver
I was waiting for this price, thanks.

Already have 3 and this will complete my NAS.

EDIT: apparently these now come with the EDAZ instead of the EMAZ, Air vs Helium filled.. Maybe I'll hope for old stock from Amazon instead
Newbie
Nov 11, 2020
48 posts
8 upvotes
vancouver
need someone have bought it & confirmed it with us if it’s CMR
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
The 10 TB Seagate in the other thread is a much better deal for $199 and has a better drive inside (Barracuda pro helium filled 7200RPM PMR or Exos Enterprise)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
1792 posts
1325 upvotes
Vancouver
vancouverie wrote: need someone have bought it & confirmed it with us if it’s CMR
the guys on datahoarders have been buying these and confirm they are white label reds.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 4, 2004
9800 posts
2495 upvotes
Montreal
cgg123321 wrote: I was waiting for this price, thanks.

Already have 3 and this will complete my NAS.

EDIT: apparently these now come with the EDAZ instead of the EMAZ, Air vs Helium filled.. Maybe I'll hope for old stock from Amazon instead
Not sold on Amazon :(
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1059 posts
522 upvotes
Montreal
CanadaCPU wrote: The 10 TB Seagate in the other thread is a much better deal for $199 and has a better drive inside (Barracuda pro helium filled 7200RPM PMR or Exos Enterprise)
What is better between Barracuda pro or Ironwolf Pro ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2011
1475 posts
1414 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Price in the title please/por favor/s'il vous plaît!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1730 posts
2326 upvotes
VANCOUVER
CanadaCPU wrote: The 10 TB Seagate in the other thread is a much better deal for $199 and has a better drive inside (Barracuda pro helium filled 7200RPM PMR or Exos Enterprise)
That depends. For NAS drives, the slower, cooler running WD Reds are preferable. Plus I don't care what anyone says and I don't want to start a debate, but Segate has been worse for reliability. At least for me.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7351 posts
2343 upvotes
T dot 6
cgg123321 wrote: the guys on datahoarders have been buying these and confirm they are white label reds.
That was the case a while ago but not necessarily anymore. I bought a 8TB Easystore about a month ago from Bestbuy and it was a WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0. Non helium, CMR. Some people suspect it is a rebadged Toshiba (which is fine by me). It runs hot so if you get the same drive you need good cooling. I was getting around 50C until I improved the cooling and now its 37C.

The 8TB I bought from Costco around April was a WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0. Helium, CMR, made by WD. The MyBook HD runs cooler then the Easystore at around the low 30s.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
fjanicki wrote: What is better between Barracuda pro or Ironwolf Pro ?
According to their data sheets they are very similar. Iron Wolf Pro if it's for NAS type applications, Barracuda Pro if it's for a normal HDD in your PC for storage or whatever else. The main difference is that the Ironwolf Pro has Rotational Vibration sensors and firmware that is optimized for usage in storage arrays. It's very unlikely you would notice a difference between either regardless of the application as they are both top tier drives, but they do have slightly different optimizations.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1059 posts
522 upvotes
Montreal
CanadaCPU wrote: According to their data sheets they are very similar. Iron Wolf Pro if it's for NAS type applications, Barracuda Pro if it's for a normal HDD in your PC for storage or whatever else. The main difference is that the Ironwolf Pro has Rotational Vibration sensors and firmware that is optimized for usage in storage arrays. It's very unlikely you would notice a difference between either regardless of the application as they are both top tier drives, but they do have slightly different optimizations.
Thanks, it's appreciated!
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
goozy1 wrote: That depends. For NAS drives, the slower, cooler running WD Reds are preferable. Plus I don't care what anyone says and I don't want to start a debate, but Segate has been worse for reliability. At least for me.
Not everyone wants slow drives in their NAS. I don't use slow drives in mine. Also, lots of WD Reds are still SMR so you need to be very careful which ones you buy.

I've been using non-NAS drives in my NAS for almost a decade with zero issues.

As for WD vs Seagate It's fine to have your own opinion but all objective data shows otherwise. Anecdotally, every WD drive I have ever purchased has failed and I have had zero Seagate failures, but I would still buy WD drives because I realize a sample size that small is meaningless.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
1792 posts
1325 upvotes
Vancouver
yuprules wrote: Not sold on Amazon :(
https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-E ... 111&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-E ... 111&sr=8-1
Jaytee wrote: That was the case a while ago but not necessarily anymore. I bought a 8TB Easystore about a month ago from Bestbuy and it was a WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0. Non helium, CMR. Some people suspect it is a rebadged Toshiba (which is fine by me). It runs hot so if you get the same drive you need good cooling. I was getting around 50C until I improved the cooling and now its 37C.

The 8TB I bought from Costco around April was a WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0. Helium, CMR, made by WD. The MyBook HD runs cooler then the Easystore at around the low 30s.
Hmm good to know, I just went by the reddit posts suggesting it matches the air filled WD Reds (same look and same R/N)
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... ve_inside/
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14521 upvotes
Toronto
crow13 wrote: warm
Hot would be 8TB at $134.99

[Newegg] **HOT** WD Elements 8TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN Black - $134.99

[Amazon.ca] WD Elements 8TB $134.99 Free Ship

I bought 1 from Amazon Jan 22nd this year.
Maybe will have a similar price next January.

cgg123321 wrote: I was waiting for this price, thanks.

Already have 3 and this will complete my NAS.

EDIT: apparently these now come with the EDAZ instead of the EMAZ, Air vs Helium filled.. Maybe I'll hope for old stock from Amazon instead
Jaytee wrote: That was the case a while ago but not necessarily anymore. I bought a 8TB Easystore about a month ago from Bestbuy and it was a WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0. Non helium, CMR. Some people suspect it is a rebadged Toshiba (which is fine by me). It runs hot so if you get the same drive you need good cooling. I was getting around 50C until I improved the cooling and now its 37C.

The 8TB I bought from Costco around April was a WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0. Helium, CMR, made by WD. The MyBook HD runs cooler then the Easystore at around the low 30s.
The 8TB WD Elements I bough in January contains WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0.
I have not chucked it. Using it to store downloads and backup my boot drive.
Destiny is all

Top