Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] WD Elements 5TB 3.5" External Hard Drive ($139.99)

[OP]
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes

[Best Buy] WD Elements 5TB 3.5" External Hard Drive ($139.99)

External Hard drive
WD Elements 5TB 3.5" External Hard Drive (WDBWLG0050HBK-NESN)
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
15 replies
Member
Mar 4, 2015
284 posts
211 upvotes
Vancouver
Note the hardware encryption used by this enclosures. If the enclosure dies, your data is gone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20552 posts
7689 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Catherinecc wrote: Note the hardware encryption used by this enclosures. If the enclosure dies, your data is gone.
Any idea why they do this?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 31, 2015
25 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Quentin5 wrote: Any idea why they do this?
"You are gonna use our stuff our way whether you like it or not."

I start avoid WD stuff since they start doing this. At least I can remove the 3.5" 8TB seagate drive from the enclosure and stuff it into my case.
Member
User avatar
Dec 9, 2014
244 posts
219 upvotes
Catherinecc wrote: Note the hardware encryption used by this enclosures. If the enclosure dies, your data is gone.
I won't defend WD for their practice here but it's also much more likely that the hard drive would die (vs. the enclosure's electronics) so this should be a non-issue if the hard drive is part of a sane backup strategy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20552 posts
7689 upvotes
Socially Distanced
WHITEMARKET wrote: I won't defend WD for their practice here but it's also much more likely that the hard drive would die (vs. the enclosure's electronics) so this should be a non-issue if the hard drive is part of a sane backup strategy.
Indeed, i have a 4.5 year old 3TB version of this drive, bad sectors are now appearing, out of warranty but the controller works fine :facepalm:
I typically go with WD drives but i wonder if its time to jump ship.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
653 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I had a 2 year old WD 2TB PassPort that was used for only back ups. Maybe used it 10-15 times, now it's dead. Super pissed about it, I don't think I'll be buying anymore WD drives. This was not the first drive I had from them, that crapped out.
Newbie
Nov 30, 2013
35 posts
9 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Same price a couple weeks ago when I got it from BB. Only problem was too much transfering at one time the drive can act up like having +3 separate big transfers going on. Other than that all my WD My Books from last 5 years are all working still.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20552 posts
7689 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Bianco13 wrote: I had a 2 year old WD 2TB PassPort that was used for only back ups. Maybe used it 10-15 times, now it's dead. Super pissed about it, I don't think I'll be buying anymore WD drives. This was not the first drive I had from them, that crapped out.
How long was the warranty. Did you buy it with a credit card that would give you an extra year?
Mine is 4.5 years old, 3 year warranty it came with plus 1 extra year won't cover it unfortunately :(
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
653 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Quentin5 wrote: How long was the warranty. Did you buy it with a credit card that would give you an extra year?
Mine is 4.5 years old, 3 year warranty it came with plus 1 extra year won't cover it unfortunately :(
Still covered under a 5 year warranty. WD wants the damaged drive sent in first before they will replace it. I refused to do so, as the contents on the drive are all my families pics, videos, income tax files and my music collection. Absolutely not worth it!
Sr. Member
Sep 2, 2017
837 posts
981 upvotes
Ontario
Bianco13 wrote: Still covered under a 5 year warranty. WD wants the damaged drive sent in first before they will replace it. I refused to do so, as the contents on the drive are all my families pics, videos, income tax files and my music collection. Absolutely not worth it!
Which is why I don't really care about warranties because mine always contain sensitive data, if the drive dies in 3-6 years like mine normally do it was worth the price and I replace it and copy my second backup to the new one.
Member
Aug 17, 2012
482 posts
384 upvotes
COQUITLAM
If you're using these drives, get two for redundancy.
Sr. Member
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
424 upvotes
So these are non shuck able if I’m reading you all right ?
Jr. Member
Feb 12, 2017
141 posts
174 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote: So these are non shuck able if I’m reading you all right ?
it is shuckable.

the posters above were referring to the drive with data in it.
when you put your valuable data on it without shucking it first and reformat it,
the controller board on this type external enclosure will encrypt your data making it impossible to recover the data when controller dies.

.

Top