Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] WD My Book 8TB 3.5" USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $200(SHUCKABLE)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2019 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2512 posts
2756 upvotes
Calgary

[Best Buy] WD My Book 8TB 3.5" USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $200(SHUCKABLE)

This is warm deal for shuckable drive. (WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN) 3% ebates.
If you buy from Neweggs ebay, $190.
Here is video how to shuck.

EDIT: Use Ebay App from your phone and buy from Neweggs Ebay store. Enter code APPTASTIC for $170 + tax. (TARGETED)
Last edited by Marphyin on Jun 28th, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Thread Summary
256mb white labelled red drive inside (WD80EZAZ).
Reddit thread
Shucking video.
84 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1169 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon is matching

Don't forget your cashback! :D

What's the drive inside?

Edit: Looks like it's the WD80EZAZ white label drive inside which is actually HGST Helium Enterprise Drive. Drive does not have TLER on by default which can lead to RAID array failures when the drive eventually fails. So it's no where close to as good as a WD Red or Seagate IronWolf for NAS. For casual storage it's fine though, just get a second for backup outside of a RAID array.

More technical info here: WD 8TB External = HGST Helium Enterprise
Last edited by Newpunk on May 31st, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2512 posts
2756 upvotes
Calgary
Newpunk wrote: Amazon is matching

Don't forget your cashback! :D

What's the drive inside?
Also shipping wait time is 1 to 3 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4834 posts
2725 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: Amazon has a purchase limit of 1 per customer.
Also, delivery in 1-3 months.
Can price match with Staples...
Nov 18, 2014
561 posts
524 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Bought 4 of these pricematched for 178 at best buy last week when Amazon and Newegg had this on sale for 190 ((Previous thread). All white labelled (WD80EZAZ) red drives manufactured Dec 2018 in it.
Yes TLER is not enabled by default, but is easily activated via scripting if you need and want it. Despite common misconception, it is not absolutely necessary when putting drives in raid and you'll find people strongly arguing either side.
Last edited by rrabbit10 on May 31st, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4370 posts
1718 upvotes
GTA
Geez I bought a 6tb drive for like $160 4 years ago.
Oct 5, 2012
105 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton
Redmask wrote: I usually pop down to the US to get these on sale at Bestbuy but for $190-200 I'll just save the time/gas, cheers OP. I've shucked about 10 so far without issues, all still purring along in my unRAID box.
Any consensus as to whether TLER matters at all for unRAID systems?
Aug 20, 2009
8174 posts
3107 upvotes
Grimsby
klatch wrote: Any consensus as to whether TLER matters at all for unRAID systems?
No real benefit on unRAID and the devs have said as much, I just leave it disabled. The only real gotcha with some of the drives I've shucked is having to do the tape-mod on the 3.3v pin but that's due to my PSU.
Aug 27, 2009
96 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
ebay newegg oos already lol, rfd effect
May 13, 2014
577 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
So I take it these are better than the Seagate SMR externals that go on sale every now and then?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2013
1438 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
klatch wrote: Any consensus as to whether TLER matters at all for unRAID systems?

I have read that a drive with tler does not spend as much time looking bad sectors and just passes by them as to not slow down the raid.... im not very well informed on the matter

But my main concern is will tler or a raid specific drive run into any problems in a normal setup?
Oct 5, 2012
105 posts
63 upvotes
Edmonton
Redmask wrote:
No real benefit on unRAID and the devs have said as much, I just leave it disabled. The only real gotcha with some of the drives I've shucked is having to do the tape-mod on the 3.3v pin but that's due to my PSU.
You can also use a molex to SATA power adapter (get a decent one like this 1-to-2 or this 1-to-4 though that isn't molded) and you will not need to use tape.
brensavoyton wrote: I have read that a drive with tler does not spend as much time looking bad sectors and just passes by them as to not slow down the raid.... im not very well informed on the matter

But my main concern is will tler or a raid specific drive run into any problems in a normal setup?
unRAID isn't RAID - it is an array that has parity disks but allows mixed sizes etc of disks. I wasn't expecting TLER to be a big deal for unRAID users but haven't done extensive homework on it yet.
My understanding is that you can use a drive with TLER in a "normal setup" but it will just be a bit more aggressive marking sectors as bad as it will time out on read try after about 7 seconds instead of 30 (which in a RAID configuration would keep a drive from dropping out of the array).
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
Finally something to use this damn gift card on
Its been about 5 months
Wanted this deal last time but the USA site did not honor Canadian gift card and would of had to of picked it up
Dec 7, 2018
55 posts
37 upvotes
winnipeg
chatbox wrote: This item is out of stock.

The Newegg drive is back in stock now. Just ordered one. Also I only paid 5% GST from ebay vs PST + GST from the amazon or BB
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2512 posts
2756 upvotes
Calgary
There are $5 email coupon. Check your email. Total coming out $209.69 to Toronto. Ebates is only 1% for ebay.
Last edited by Marphyin on Jun 1st, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.