Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Wemo light switch 25$

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 9:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
RiceLude98SH wrote: pls elaborate..
Jojo_Madman wrote: Faster response time, eliminates the wifi traffic on your network, eliminate the need for each brands app, encrypted device protocols, they can form their own mesh network among devices resulting in coverage for a large area, and frankly I find the overall build quality of the switches better

Agreed z-wave is better than wifi but you need a centre hub (z-wave hub) for z-wave vs wifi does not need anything!
if you have a a hub and going to get couple of smart devices z-wave is the one, but if you need only one go for wifi
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
sixshot28 wrote: These wifi switches I think Is more for lazy people, or show off type of people.
Reason why it's been a couple years and I dont have any.
I'll wait till they take a chomp at 10-15$ price range.
I still believe this is an impulse buy.
Very useful when I get home and my lights turns on before I enter. Useful too when my hands are full and with a kid.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
amiratish wrote: Agreed z-wave is better than wifi but you need a centre hub (z-wave hub) for z-wave vs wifi does not need anything!
if you have a a hub and going to get couple of smart devices z-wave is the one, but if you need only one go for wifi
Age, although sooner or later your going to get bit by the home automation and need a hub, so might as well start out on the right direction ... I regret buying any wifi light switches since going z-wave ... but to each their own.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Jojo_Madman wrote: Age, although sooner or later your going to get bit by the home automation and need a hub, so might as well start out on the right direction ... I regret buying any wifi light switches since going z-wave ... but to each their own.
Sell them to get rid of them?

I kind of feel the same way but then again, I haven't run into network congestion issues with 23 wifi switches and I don't need to add anymore, at least I don't think I will.
I have 13 Wemo devices and these integrate with Smartthings automatically and smoothly. I think that's the one big advantage over tplink and other wifi devies.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote: I regret buying any wifi light switches since going z-wave ...
Why? Just link them to ST and you are go.

My WIFI switches operate just the same as my ZWave and Zigbee switches, I see no advantage of the ZWave and Zigbee switches. In fact, they were more work to get going since I had to move the hub to get them in range.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
repatch wrote: Why? Just link them to ST and you are go.

My WIFI switches operate just the same as my ZWave and Zigbee switches, I see no advantage of the ZWave and Zigbee switches. In fact, they were more work to get going since I had to move the hub to get them in range.
In my case all the brains (routers, hubs, network switches, NAS, etc) for my devices are centrally located in the middle on my house. Anything Z-wave or
Zigbee has just worked flawlessly the first time without issues. While the Wifi switches work, and it's not a congestion issue, I've just found them overall more finicky for some reason, as they are the only ones I've had to reset ... I think it comes down to personal preferences and an individual's set-up.
The other thing I've noticed is that most of the Z-Wave switches just have a more "robust" feel to the entire switch itself including manually operating them.
I'm also not crazy about them being on my main wifi network, and have contemplating trying to isolate them on a dedicated "guest" type network for security reasons ... probably my paranoia with network security.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
1156 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a tp-link wifi switch but discovered it was a bit too deep for the old receptacle boxes in my condo. I'm not willing to swap the boxes for larger ones, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more shallow switches?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
maytricks wrote: I have a tp-link wifi switch but discovered it was a bit too deep for the old receptacle boxes in my condo. I'm not willing to swap the boxes for larger ones, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more shallow switches?
Every smart switch I've encountered has been the same depth. You could try smart bulbs instead?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Jojo_Madman wrote: Age, although sooner or later your going to get bit by the home automation and need a hub, so might as well start out on the right direction ... I regret buying any wifi light switches since going z-wave ... but to each their own.
I don't want end up having a few hub for different smart devices
- myQ
- Schlag
- Leviton
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
amiratish wrote: - myQ
- Schlag
- Leviton
All of these work with a SmartThings hub. There's no need for multiple hubs. myQ uses a custom device handler from the SmartThings community.
Phils
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1621 posts
320 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: All of these work with a SmartThings hub. There's no need for multiple hubs. myQ uses a custom device handler from the SmartThings community.
Could you please post a link to this myQ custom device handler?
Knowledge is power
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Phils wrote: All of these work with a SmartThings hub. There's no need for multiple hubs. myQ uses a custom device handler from the SmartThings community.
Yes ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)