[Best Buy] Wemo Light Switch $34.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 3:17 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
472 posts
120 upvotes

[Best Buy] Wemo Light Switch $34.99

While looking for Wemo mini's in store, I found the Wemo light switch is $34.99 online and in store ($10 less than black Friday). Reasonable price if you're looking for WiFi home automation from a brand with a good security record
[Edit: One penny more now, but extended until the end of the week]
Last edited by ^gUrU on Dec 8th, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
472 posts
120 upvotes
I searched around online trying to determine that. The HS200 was just on sale for $20 (at BB for BF) vs the $45 for Belkin. All reviews/comparisons I could find seem to be written by bots.. generally:
  • They basically have the same features
  • TPLink has a longer warranty
  • If you can afford them, the Belkin are better
(With no explanation as to why or how). It looks like TPLink might be a bit deeper (product size) which might lead to install issues.. but the wemos are already large (I don't have both, so I can't tell you if it is, in fact, different). TPLink has historically had issues with security (TPLink webcams and routers were notoriously easy to hack, and rarely patched), and the reliability of some of their devices (a wifi router, and a USB wifi stick for me) have been poor (you get what you pay for?) Meanwhile the wemo line has had several patches over the years as security vulnerabilities were disclosed. You can also turn off remote control (outside of your network) although I've not determined if this is a trust based turn-off (a la Apple) or legit (a la tape over your camera)

So! I have several wemo now, and I'd rather not have a second app (although the intention is to get home assistant to take over), I trust Belkin more than TPLink (d-link also has an entrant, and then there's a bunch of no-brand products around too). It looks like the low-power mesh networking devices will ultimately be better (z-wave, zigbee) but the wifi ones are easy to setup and good enough for now while the prices come down (economies of scale?)
Nov 26, 2003
561 posts
168 upvotes
^gUrU wrote: I searched around online trying to determine that. The HS200 was just on sale for $20 (at BB for BF) vs the $45 for Belkin. All reviews/comparisons I could find seem to be written by bots.. generally:
  • They basically have the same features
  • TPLink has a longer warranty
  • If you can afford them, the Belkin are better
(With no explanation as to why or how). It looks like TPLink might be a bit deeper (product size) which might lead to install issues.. but the wemos are already large (I don't have both, so I can't tell you if it is, in fact, different). TPLink has historically had issues with security (TPLink webcams and routers were notoriously easy to hack, and rarely patched), and the reliability of some of their devices (a wifi router, and a USB wifi stick for me) have been poor (you get what you pay for?) Meanwhile the wemo line has had several patches over the years as security vulnerabilities were disclosed. You can also turn off remote control (outside of your network) although I've not determined if this is a trust based turn-off (a la Apple) or legit (a la tape over your camera)

So! I have several wemo now, and I'd rather not have a second app (although the intention is to get home assistant to take over), I trust Belkin more than TPLink (d-link also has an entrant, and then there's a bunch of no-brand products around too). It looks like the low-power mesh networking devices will ultimately be better (z-wave, zigbee) but the wifi ones are easy to setup and good enough for now while the prices come down (economies of scale?)
OK Thanks .
Aug 16, 2009
558 posts
450 upvotes
argos996 wrote: How does it compare to the TP-Link HS200 for 24.99?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tp ... h/13044491
I found the TP is quicker to respond (with Google Home at least) and found the app better.
Quality is a little better on the Wemos but the TPs are good quality.
You can get the TPs pretty often down to $19.99 and even $14.99 sometimes.

I ended up selling the Wemos I had and bought TPs for pretty much all my switches and some plugs.
Been running them for about 6 months with no issues at all.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2336 posts
1611 upvotes
Calgary
I have about 15 of the TP Link ones in my house (mostly HS200 with a few of the three way ones). They are very good, always highly responsive, connect easily to HomeKit and have continued to receive semi-regular firmware updates. I just picked up 7 more yesterday to replace my discontinued Insignia switches.
May 20, 2003
567 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
I have 1 WeMo light switch that I've used for 6 years without any issues.
Oct 31, 2006
610 posts
243 upvotes
I have about 15 Wemo and they work flawlessly, great integration with SmartThings
Public Mobile user
Jul 18, 2008
151 posts
155 upvotes
These generally go on sale for $25 on Black Friday and Boxing Day. While I don’t have a time machine, if you can wait, I would.

I’ve got 20 Wemo devices installed and running, including switches, dimmers and plugs, and they work great. They’re connected to HomeKit via homebridge running game on an old Raspberry Pi 3B.