• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 9:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2007
38 posts
35 upvotes
Markham

[Best Buy] Wemo mini $14.99 weekend instore special

Spotted Wemo mini at Markville BestBuy around checkout area advertised at $14.99. Weekend instore deal, valid Dec 6-8 (Fri-Sun).

Not sure if the deal is available at other location.
28 replies
[OP]
Jan 22, 2007
38 posts
35 upvotes
Markham
Agree. Their app is crap, but integration with Homekit and Alexa is pretty solid.
Jun 3, 2008
54 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Saw same promo at Vancouver Best Buy (Cambie & 7th)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4267 posts
2661 upvotes
Edmonton
smartpat wrote: Agree. Their app is crap, but integration with Homekit and Alexa is pretty solid.
Works well with Google Assistant too!
Jul 29, 2016
255 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
dexterneedsabrain wrote: Wemo app is crap.
I think you are insulting the word "crap", WEMO app is indeed "CROCK of SHIT"
Jul 7, 2018
7 posts
Nice integration with home assistant. Little need for the app.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3990 posts
940 upvotes
Markham
smartpat wrote: Agree. Their app is crap, but integration with Homekit and Alexa is pretty solid.
Totally agree. The app is crap but I have it setup with Google Home and it’s convenient to just say “turn Christmas tree on”.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2341 posts
1619 upvotes
Calgary
Saw this in Shawnessey Calgary location last night. Didn’t pay a ton of attention to the details but the price was definitely same as OP.
Sep 28, 2015
674 posts
524 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Same price at my local store. Probably chain wide. Weekend only
Sep 28, 2010
15 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Can confirm Etobicoke Queensway location has plenty in stock at this price. Good find.
Sep 25, 2003
274 posts
73 upvotes
Scarborough
Plenty of units left at Best Buy Leaside at 14.99$

Using it to automate and control Christmas tree lights.

Also have a couple of other wemo plugs I’m using to automatically change the water for my fish tank.
Nov 3, 2008
170 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
I have over a dozen Wemo devices as home and use the HomeKit app as well as WeMo app for any firmware updates. I don't see any issue with using Wemo.

What is it about Wemo that makes it not good for you folks? I may be missing something that other devices are able to provide.
Sep 27, 2008
810 posts
610 upvotes
IMO stay away from Wemo. It's by far my most disliked smart device brand I've bought. The cheap Costco switches are better than Wemo garbage. Garbage app, if you have multiple SSIDs in your home it won't work, it's the least reliable smart device brand I have in my house.
Sep 7, 2014
644 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
Why buy Belkin when TP link is there!Smirking Face
Sep 27, 2008
810 posts
610 upvotes
oneframe wrote: I have over a dozen Wemo devices as home and use the HomeKit app as well as WeMo app for any firmware updates. I don't see any issue with using Wemo.

What is it about Wemo that makes it not good for you folks? I may be missing something that other devices are able to provide.
I have 3 wifi access points throughout my house to get good coverage everywhere, a few months ago only the devices on one of the access points remained reachable. I have random disconnects from multiple Wemo devices despite no other smart switch in my house having connectivity issues (including high bandwidth outdoor Nest IQ cameras).

The Wemo app is the worst app I've ever used for smart home devices. Even Google Home has issues sometimes communicating and seeing all the devices (doesn't happen for any other smart home devices brand in my house).

I've had much better experience with Philips Hue devices, Nest, TP-Link, CE Smart (Costco switches), and Samsung SmartThings. Wemo switches look great but they don't work as advertised in my experience and aren't worth the frustration.
May 6, 2016
314 posts
102 upvotes
Whitby
I have 17 wemo products and just picked up 3 more of the mini plugs today. I don't use the app, but use SmartThings. The devices themselves i have never had an issue and have been using them for about 3 years now. The only thing that is a little disappointing right now is the dimmer not being able to connect to smartthings.