Price:
$22.98
Savings:
42% Off
Expiry:
July 17, 2020
Retailer:
Best Buy
Been watching sales for a month or so as I needed half dozen for birthday presents for family members. Why should I have all the fun in smart-home toys, others should feel the $ pain.
Not a hot deal, but the best price I've been able to find lately.
Not interested in getting into the Wemo vs ? debate. I just happen to like Wemo especially for high wattage devices and their integration with Homekit/Google/etc.
Last edited by Jammer005 on Jul 15th, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
9 replies
Jan 12, 2006
683 posts
425 upvotes
Woodbridge
Jammer005 wrote: Been watching sales for a month or so as I needed half dozen for birthday presents for family members. Why should I have all the fun in smart-home toys, others should feel the $ pain.
Not a hot deal, but the best price I've been able to find lately.
Not interested in getting into the Wemo or ? debate. I just happen to like Wemo especially for high wattage devices.
I have a bunch of Wemo switches and plugs, and TP Link Kasa switches. I honestly would say the Costco CESMART plugs with Tasmota is WAY better than my Wemos. In fact i replaced my Wemo plugs with CESmarts. I've had my 14 Wemo switches and plugs for a long time and they serve me well, but the Tasmota enhanced cheap switches/plugs are so awesome and cheap!
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
422 upvotes
Anjou, QC
I can’t shit on these products enough. Belkin was bought by Foxconn. Immediately they updated the app to require an account. To be clear, you cannot control these devices ok your local network anymore it HAS to go through their shitty cloud. Internet down? Won’t work. Cloud down or service discontinued? Won’t work. In fact you can’t even set them up without logging into an account. Luckily i still have old iPods kicking around so I still have the pre-update app that will allow local control.

Don’t support this company and their trash products.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20311 posts
4174 upvotes
Toronto
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: I can’t shit on these products enough. Belkin was bought by Foxconn. Immediately they updated the app to require an account. To be clear, you cannot control these devices ok your local network anymore it HAS to go through their shitty cloud. Internet down? Won’t work. Cloud down or service discontinued? Won’t work. In fact you can’t even set them up without logging into an account. Luckily i still have old iPods kicking around so I still have the pre-update app that will allow local control.

Is that why they made the change? I uninstalled the apps and got rid of all my plugs the second they did that. Good to know I can replace them with options that aren't trying to force Chinese data harvesting on me.
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
422 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Piro21 wrote: Is that why they made the change? I uninstalled the apps and got rid of all my plugs the second they did that. Good to know I can replace them with options that aren't trying to force Chinese data harvesting on me.
yeah they're monetizing the data now.

Take a look at the reddit for memo, it's been a total shit show.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeMo/new/
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Sep 13, 2011
172 posts
224 upvotes
THORNHILL
I got a bunch of these two years ago and they were so unreliable that I had to replace them all. I have since moved to Globe Smart Plugs and have never had an issue since. I recommend everyone stay far away from these as at first you may be able to set it up but eventually it just stops working and then good luck trying to get it to work properly.
Jun 29, 2011
264 posts
82 upvotes
BBQ Haven
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: I can’t shit on these products enough. Belkin was bought by Foxconn. Immediately they updated the app to require an account. To be clear, you cannot control these devices ok your local network anymore it HAS to go through their shitty cloud. Internet down? Won’t work. Cloud down or service discontinued? Won’t work. In fact you can’t even set them up without logging into an account. Luckily i still have old iPods kicking around so I still have the pre-update app that will allow local control.

Yeah, I just found out after a power outage (since it did not immediately connect to Wifi) and I can no longer control via the app or homebridge. Apparently I upgraded the app without realizing the new account requirement. That was actually a selling point for me back then. Fortunately I only invested in one switch and one light switch.

I tried to use my iPhone5 that I haven't updated for a couple of years, but no luck either - device not detected. So my light switch will be running whatever program I had before - good thing it was on my front porch, which do not get changed often. I may simply replace it eventually with a couple of Hue.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6387 posts
1535 upvotes
Montreal
slater22 wrote: I got a bunch of these two years ago and they were so unreliable that I had to replace them all. I have since moved to Globe Smart Plugs and have never had an issue since. I recommend everyone stay far away from these as at first you may be able to set it up but eventually it just stops working and then good luck trying to get it to work properly.
Ditto. I still have 2 Wemo light switches going but I've replaced the rest of my wemo devices with Kasa devices. I would have also changed the switches but I need them specifically for SmartThings routines and there was an issue with Kasa devices triggering events. I will say though that since I set up the Wemo account they've been more reliable. Don't know how long it'll last.
Phils
Feb 6, 2020
639 posts
556 upvotes
Zork1984 wrote: Yeah, I just found out after a power outage (since it did not immediately connect to Wifi) and I can no longer control via the app or homebridge.
That's odd. I deleted the Wemo app, disconnected my modem from my router (so, no internet access), and I can still control my Wemo mini plug using Homekit locally.
iOS Home app still works with Wemo even when internet is down. Generally, once any device is added to Apple Homekit, the product's app isn't required anymore to simply control the device, and Homekit controlled devices work locally.

I'm not sure why Homebridge with Wemo wouldn't work the same way.

I've examined my firewall logs when using the plugs with Homekit. No data is going to China.
That said, I don't buy Wemo mini plugs anymore. I only have a couple. Most of my plugs are Philips Hue.
Jun 29, 2011
264 posts
82 upvotes
BBQ Haven
ArrowFlynn wrote: That's odd. I deleted the Wemo app, disconnected my modem from my router (so, no internet access), and I can still control my Wemo mini plug using Homekit locally.
iOS Home app still works with Wemo even when internet is down. Generally, once any device is added to Apple Homekit, the product's app isn't required anymore to simply control the device, and Homekit controlled devices work locally.

I'm not sure why Homebridge with Wemo wouldn't work the same way.

I've examined my firewall logs when using the plugs with Homekit. No data is going to China.
That said, I don't buy Wemo mini plugs anymore. I only have a couple. Most of my plugs are Philips Hue.
I looked more closely this past weekend. For a brief period after I force a reset, I was able to control via Wemo's app without an account created, then a few minutes later it became "Not detected" even though it is still connected to my router. And it has been flaky even with the Wemo app, so it is no surprise that homebridge has trouble seeing it.

Yeah, this wemo pre-dates my Hue, and I was thinking about just replacing it with a Hue, but that means multiple bulb since it is porch + driveway light. I just ordered the 3-way Tp-link kit but I only need one so I can use the second one to replace the wemo. (I did not realize they make 3-way smart switch until I was thinking of junking the wemo).