• May 19th, 2015 10:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
369 upvotes

Best Buy would not sell device at their posted price

Best Buy has Samsung Galaxy S5 selling at $274.95 with the Koodo tab or $599.95 outright retail in their posted price tag. They refused to sell the S5 at $599.95 for use with Koodo and insisted on selling it at $274.95 with the tab.

Wonder why they even bother posting the Koodo outright retail price if they do not sell the device outright for use with Koodo.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EVGajop.png[/IMG]
37 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1996 posts
1429 upvotes
Toronto
I remember when I was looking to buy my iPhone, I had asked if I could buy it outright from them and they said no as well.

They probably have contracts specifically with the carriers to only sell the plans (vs the phones) as that's likely where they make their money from. I agree its silly to post the price if its not a purchase option, but its probably intended as a comparison / savings figure more than anything.
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
talk to their manager?
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3833 posts
1095 upvotes
GTA
stack21 wrote: Best Buy has Samsung Galaxy S5 selling at $274.95 with the Koodo tab or $599.95 outright retail in their posted price tag. They refused to sell the S5 at $599.95 for use with Koodo and insisted on selling it at $274.95 with the tab.

Wonder why they even bother posting the Koodo outright retail price if they do not sell the device outright for use with Koodo.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EVGajop.png[/IMG]
Complain to BestBuy by email.
If they insist on saying there is nothing wrong with the issue, then nicely tell them (just never 'threaten') that then you are very disappointed with the way they advertise and you will have to make a complaint to the government for a fair advertisement and consumer protection in the future.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
So they lure customers in with their advertisement and then refuse to sell the product? Pretty sure you can complain about this.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3833 posts
1095 upvotes
GTA
Make sure that you have a written evidence/proof that BestBuy confirms they are not willing to sell it at advertised price. I don't think you can file a valid complaint if no proof, or if BestBuy simply says the product is out of stock at the moment.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: Make sure that you have a written evidence/proof that BestBuy confirms they are not willing to sell it at advertised price. I don't think you can file a valid complaint if no proof, or if BestBuy simply says the product is out of stock at the moment.
Absolutely.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
Isn't this normal procedure in Canada? Its the reason why I'm still using my Huawei Ascend P1 from wind still. I hate having to get a credit check each time I want to buy a phone with warranty.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
[OP]
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
369 upvotes
Alexandero2 wrote: I remember when I was looking to buy my iPhone, I had asked if I could buy it outright from them and they said no as well.

They probably have contracts specifically with the carriers to only sell the plans (vs the phones) as that's likely where they make their money from. I agree its silly to post the price if its not a purchase option, but its probably intended as a comparison / savings figure more than anything.
It is not comparison, if you go on the tab, you pay $274.95 plus ($15 x 24 months), that works out to $635. The outright retail price is $599.95, a savings of $35.

Not very nice of Best Buy not to honour their posted prices.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
369 upvotes
E2EK1EL wrote: Nothing new here, Best Buy has always been doing this for years and full of BS

Can you buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 unlocked in Canada?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1348208/can-y ... in-canada/

This is not like buying the device outright and not sign up a plan with Koodo from Best Buy.

I wanted to buy the device outright for the posted price of $599.95 to save $35 instead of going on the tab, for use with one of Koodo's Canada wide plans. Best Buy, unfortunately, refuse to honour their posted price.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
369 upvotes
gd6noob wrote: talk to their manager?
terry0703 wrote: Complain to BestBuy by email.
If they insist on saying there is nothing wrong with the issue, then nicely tell them (just never 'threaten') that then you are very disappointed with the way they advertise and you will have to make a complaint to the government for a fair advertisement and consumer protection in the future.
terry0703 wrote: Complain to BestBuy by email.
eldiablo wrote: Give these guys a call and see what they say??

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... f/eng/home
terry0703 wrote: Make sure that you have a written evidence/proof that BestBuy confirms they are not willing to sell it at advertised price. I don't think you can file a valid complaint if no proof, or if BestBuy simply says the product is out of stock at the moment.
Actually, I did ask to speak to the manager at the store, and the manager said the same thing, they will only sell the device with the tab. I did repeat that I wanted to buy the device for use with Koodo and will do it through them, the answer is still no. There should be a case for a complaint. Maybe I should get a cheap GoPro camera, filmed the entire conversation for evidence.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5143 posts
2872 upvotes
GTA
They were doing you a favor, $600 for a s5 is a ripoff.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
369 upvotes
Sure, they were giving me an opportunity to complain for not honoring their posted prize ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5954 posts
4015 upvotes
If you send a complaint to Best Buy, also ask for a gift card because they wasted your time.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
shabby wrote: They were doing you a favor, $600 for a s5 is a ripoff.
Uhh Its actually more expensive with a tab/contract plan cause its subsidized....
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
stack21 wrote: This is not like buying the device outright and not sign up a plan with Koodo from Best Buy.

I wanted to buy the device outright for the posted price of $599.95 to save $35 instead of going on the tab, for use with one of Koodo's Canada wide plans. Best Buy, unfortunately, refuse to honour their posted price.

When you buy it "outright", it doesn't matter who you're gonna use it for and it's bought "outright". Your savings of "$35" will be returned back to Koodo "if" you request a immediate unlocking from them.

Cell Phone Freedom Act (Bill C-343)
Wireless phone companies must unlock handsets upon request, at a rate specified by the provider, when a consumer purchases a new phone outright (unsubsidized) without a contract
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13297 posts
4637 upvotes
nothing to do with anything other than they don't want to have stock problem in case a customer walks in and want to sign up with a plan

as they only earn commission by selling plans
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
sexyj wrote: nothing to do with anything other than they don't want to have stock problem in case a customer walks in and want to sign up with a plan

as they only earn commission by selling plans
Yep exactly, no different than those kiosks in the middle of the mall like Wireless Wave, T-Booth etc