• May 28th, 2019 9:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3600 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston

Best BYOD Plan For A Senior With Light Usage

Aside from going the prepaid route, what is the best BYOD plan for a 72 yr old? He wants unlimited calling across Canada and a little bit of data here and there probably like 250 mbs. Don\t want to pay an arm and a leg as it is more for emergency purposes.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1524 posts
577 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Public Mobile has a $13/mnth for 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 250mb data. My wife's been on it for just a month but it works great for her light usage.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
Unlimited nationwide calling for emergency purposes?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3600 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
MaxPower19 wrote: Unlimited nationwide calling for emergency purposes?
He doesn't need it, just says he would like it. He'll never use it, he probably won't even use the 100 mins flyboy posted
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2934 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
zoomer with a cheap phone option which you can flip, or keep around as a backup.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
kcorscadden wrote: He doesn't need it, just says he would like it. He'll never use it, he probably won't even use the 100 mins flyboy posted
Public Mobile if you don’t need customer service, and definitely Zoomer if you do need customer service.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1810 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
My mom’s the type of person that keeps her flip phone turned off all the time and just has it in case of an emergency. Even when it’s on, she never hears it in her purse so no one ever bothers calling her. For that reason, I got her the 7-11 Speakout wireless prepaid plan and just load $25 every 8-10 months or so. The credit really just goes down because of the 911 fees and such. Perfect plan for her use.
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6249 posts
1463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Zoomer's target market is actually seniors. It comes with a free membership to CARP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3600 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
wysiwyg wrote: My mom’s the type of person that keeps her flip phone turned off all the time and just has it in case of an emergency. Even when it’s on, she never hears it in her purse so no one ever bothers calling her. For that reason, I got her the 7-11 Speakout wireless prepaid plan and just load $25 every 8-10 months or so. The credit really just goes down because of the 911 fees and such. Perfect plan for her use.
He plans on using it all the time though, but we'll see
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
kcorscadden wrote: Don\t want to pay an arm and a leg as it is more for emergency purposes.
kcorscadden wrote:
He plans on using it all the time though, but we'll see
Which is it? Emergency use or use it all the time?
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3600 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
TheNightOwl wrote: Which is it? Emergency use or use it all the time?
He doesn't plan to call ppl all the time, but he will have it with him and on when he is out and about. As of right now, there is no way for him to contact anyone if say his car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. That's why he wants a phone, for just in case circumstances