Automotive

Best car jack and jack stands to buy?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 10:56 am
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2016
96 posts
22 upvotes

Best car jack and jack stands to buy?

I'm looking to buy a garage car jack and stands. Which brand is the best? Big red, Certified, motor master or Husky?
Also, is 2-Ton good for a SUV like Chevy Equinox?
Budget under $150, prefer something doesn't leak oil serviceable and easy to buy replacement parts
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35651 posts
21737 upvotes
Center of Universe
For an SUV, 3ton is the min.
I recently went out and bought a 4ton to be on the safe side.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: For an SUV, 3ton is the min.
I recently went out and bought a 4ton to be on the safe side.
Are you getting a Semi instead?

To the OP, I got the Arcan 35 XL low profile 3.5 ton jack from Northerntools down in the States.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35651 posts
21737 upvotes
Center of Universe
alanbrenton wrote: Are you getting a Semi instead?

To the OP, I got the Arcan 35 XL low profile 3.5 ton jack from Northerntools down in the States.
For peace of mind.
My largest SUV is an Explorer Sport (4900lbs dry) and I feel that the jack struggles and we're talking about lifting one axle at a time only.

Now with the 4ton, I can lift the front end and back end with ease.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: For peace of mind.
My largest SUV is an Explorer Sport (4900lbs dry) and I feel that the jack struggles and we're talking about lifting one axle at a time only.

Now with the 4ton, I can lift the front end and back end with ease.
Oh yeah. Jacks need to be over 22" to lift our RAV4 but my jack extends to 23"+.

Yep. I lift at the center to save time.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1127 posts
316 upvotes
Oakville, ON
2-ton is more than enough for an Equinox. Keep in mind that the jacks are rated in metric tons (1000 kg), so an Equinox is roughly 4,000 lbs (~1800 kg) so you could lift the entire front/back end without a problem with a 2-ton. If you're lifting one wheel at a time, you could get away with a 1.5 ton.

I have a Motomaster 2.25-ton jack and have had no issues lifting my 2016 Explorer which is almost 5,000 lbs.

Top