• May 21st, 2019 8:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary

Best Carrier for coverage in Muskoka area

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I was thinking public mobile, but I'm not sure telus works good out there.

I live in AB but my friend who is not at all tech savvy and currently paying extortionary prices for their 'emergency' phone in GTA, will be relocating to Bancroft area about 3 hours north of GTAs. I told him I'd try to find out what carrier works best up there and see about getting him a plan for 'emergencies' that doesn't cost $40/mo/ (no data, just calls are needed)

I am hoping that area is well covered, I assume it is but maybe not by telus like rural AB/BC. My guess is Bell.. which is who they are with now, but sheesh, $40/mo for nothing is ridiculous. I think they both should get cell phones so they can contact each other easily up there, but they are old school, and use land lines for everything. their 'emergency' phone is kept turned off... until she needs it for an emergency, then she turns it on and makes calls.

Any help is much appreciated! TIA
19 replies
Feb 5, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Public Mobile should be fine in Muskoka. TELUS/Bell have pretty comprehensive coverage in that area. I always get great speed and service up there. I’ve only noticed a few low signal areas for the most part.
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote: I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I was thinking public mobile, but I'm not sure telus works good out there.

I live in AB but my friend who is not at all tech savvy and currently paying extortionary prices for their 'emergency' phone in GTA, will be relocating to Bancroft area about 3 hours north of GTAs. I told him I'd try to find out what carrier works best up there ...

I am hoping that area is well covered, I assume it is but maybe not by telus like rural AB/BC. My guess is Bell..

Any help is much appreciated! TIA
No need to hope and guess. See where the cellphone towers are using the Canadian Cellular Towers Map
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
kotoula wrote: My guess is Bell.. which is who they are with now, but sheesh, $40/mo for nothing is ridiculous.
Definitely Bell especially if you are in the area where there is only 3G. From personal experience it seems as though they give priority to Bell subs over the rest. If it’s an LTE area other subs will work just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
So I think Public Mobile would be the winner price wise. I'll check the coverage map, thanks for the help everyone!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
PrimaryTech wrote: Definitely Bell especially if you are in the area where there is only 3G. From personal experience it seems as though they give priority to Bell subs over the rest. If it’s an LTE area other subs will work just fine.
If there is only 3G, wouldn't Public Mobile also be just as good as Bell? PM has 3G plans....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3699 posts
3365 upvotes
Muskoka
Well, Bancroft is not Muskoka but not too far. If you were on Lake Rousseau I would have said Rogers all the way ( the Rogers family cottage is on Rousseau, stellar service). But Bancroft (Halliburton) is well covered by the Bellus group - so Public Mobile does fall under this.

I have lots of family/friends on Public, no issues. I know others do complain about Rogers in the outlying areas and have turned back to Bell as it does seem to have more far reaching coverage.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
kotoula wrote: If there is only 3G, wouldn't Public Mobile also be just as good as Bell? PM has 3G plans....
From personal experience, where Bell has its 3G towers it gives preference to its subs. My wife who is with Telus has a hell of a time connecting where there is only 3G. This only occurs in the boonies. Example we were on the lake fishing. I was accepting calls left and right. Her Telus phone had no service/one bar then back to no service/kept flipping. We both have exact same phone. In LTE areas the services are exactly the same.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7964 posts
1611 upvotes
PrimaryTech wrote: From personal experience, where Bell has its 3G towers it gives preference to its subs. My wife who is with Telus has a hell of a time connecting where there is only 3G. This only occurs in the boonies. Example we were on the lake fishing. I was accepting calls left and right. Her Telus phone had no service/one bar then back to no service/kept flipping. We both have exact same phone. In LTE areas the services are exactly the same.
Doesn't make sense. Telus has no infrastructure in Ontario. It's all Bell. Look at cell tower maps. There is virtually no towers except a handful in Ontario
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
EPcjay wrote: Doesn't make sense. Telus has no infrastructure in Ontario. It's all Bell. Look at cell tower maps. There is virtually no towers except a handful in Ontario
What part of my statement doesn’t make sense then?
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: Doesn't make sense. Telus has no infrastructure in Ontario. It's all Bell. Look at cell tower maps. There is virtually no towers except a handful in Ontario
Ottawa and Windsor disagree with you. Outside of those two Ontario cities, OK not so many TELUS towers: Canadian Cellular Towers Map
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Feb 5, 2019
39 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I just finished a guide last week on cell phone coverage in Cottage Country and other vacation spots around Canada. I've spent many of my summers cottaging in Ontario. I've also included a few tips for when you get to your destination.
...you can almost always find signal on Telus (including Public Mobile) and Bell cell phone networks. Rogers suffers spotty service in more remote areas but their 3G network can reach low-lying lakehouses.
https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... -kawarthas

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca

All The Best Wireless Plans, All In One Place.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33335 posts
7026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kotoula wrote: So I think Public Mobile would be the winner price wise. I'll check the coverage map, thanks for the help everyone!
Wouldn’t pay as you go be a better option?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7964 posts
1611 upvotes
PrimaryTech wrote: What part of my statement doesn’t make sense then?
That in a Bell specific area, your wife has no signal while your Bell phone does. it's coming from the same tower, using the same radio. It's only the data centre behind it is different.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
EPcjay wrote: That in a Bell specific area, your wife has no signal while your Bell phone does. it's coming from the same tower, using the same radio. It's only the data centre behind it is different.
Right. Her either has a one line or no service. Whereas my bell line has constant connection. 3G in boonies from personal experience is not really “shared” equally by Bell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
That's what I was thinking. The lack of Telus infrastructure meaning poor service on PM. I'm guessing Bell for the coverage win, and I sure hope I can find them something cheaper than the highway robbery they're now paying. ($45/mo for a few calls and texts no data uggh)

Specifically their house is near Coe Hill, the corner of Hwy 62 and Road 620. It's not Muskoka but I figured the area would have the same coverage as Muskoka, but I didn't know that the Robbers CEO has his pad there lol. Bell is better than robbers generally. So many dropped calls on rogers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
theMediaman wrote: I just finished a guide last week on cell phone coverage in Cottage Country and other vacation spots around Canada. I've spent many of my summers cottaging in Ontario. I've also included a few tips for when you get to your destination.

Wow that's a cool guide! I will study your guide on the emergency phone for $25/year... and hope I can find something RFD worthy. Good coverage matters most due to the isolation. And free incoming calls would be such a bonus... so they can talk free when I call them.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... -kawarthas
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote: Wouldn’t pay as you go be a better option?
Yes PAYG is a great candidate, but is there one that gets good coverage in the area, AND has UL incoming calls? I figure them paying around $25/ea for unlimited incoming on Bell would be fine. Or Virgin? Doesn't Virgin have deals to compete with PM?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1547 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
EPcjay wrote: That in a Bell specific area, your wife has no signal while your Bell phone does. it's coming from the same tower, using the same radio. It's only the data centre behind it is different.
Well maybe Bell throttles signals from competing carriers and prioritizes their own. In that case it's not worth paying less, for less than ideal coverage. Good reliable coverage is #1. Non gouge price is #2. Non gouge IMO is around $20-25/mo for basic calls and a few texts, and UL incoming so family can call them.