• Jul 20th, 2013 1:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2147 posts
234 upvotes
Ottawa

Best Cars for Under $2000

I just sold my Cavalier and was looking for another car. I do delivery 5 days a week so I want something good on gas with a minimum of at least 8km per liter. What are good cars for around $2000 and must be automatic. I also prefer newer years. I did find an 06 Sentra 1.8 Special Edition with 170,000km but AC was not working, Engine sign on and brake pads/rotors needed to be replaced. It would cost me $1900 (including winter tires on rims as well) but I don't know how much more would I need to spend to fix the parts. So if anybody knows what car to get in this range that with some fixing wont really surpass $2500.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1977 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga
go to autotrader.com , select maximum price and mileage and see what's out there
Jul 22, 2012
717 posts
177 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: I just sold my Cavalier and was looking for another car. I do delivery 5 days a week so I want something good on gas with a minimum of at least 8km per liter. What are good cars for around $2000 and must be automatic. I also prefer newer years. I did find an 06 Sentra 1.8 Special Edition with 170,000km but AC was not working, Engine sign on and brake pads/rotors needed to be replaced. It would cost me $1900 (including winter tires on rims as well) but I don't know how much more would I need to spend to fix the parts. So if anybody knows what car to get in this range that with some fixing wont really surpass $2500.

I'd recommend VW Turtle and VW Box

1. Look at this legendary German Box

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/ ... po=ShowCPO

2. Look at this legendary German turtle

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/ ... po=ShowCPO
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: I just sold my Cavalier and was looking for another car. I do delivery 5 days a week so I want something good on gas with a minimum of at least 8km per liter. What are good cars for around $2000 and must be automatic. I also prefer newer years. I did find an 06 Sentra 1.8 Special Edition with 170,000km but AC was not working, Engine sign on and brake pads/rotors needed to be replaced. It would cost me $1900 (including winter tires on rims as well) but I don't know how much more would I need to spend to fix the parts. So if anybody knows what car to get in this range that with some fixing wont really surpass $2500.
I'd just scour Kijiji and filter your search for auto Corollas, Civics, Elantras, Matrixes, Vibes, Sentras - all have very fuel efficient 1.8 L engines - that have an asking price of $3,000 and less.

fwiw....Consumer Reports rated the real world ' combined ' fuel economy of a Corolla at 8.1 L / 100 kms.

However, CR rated that vintage of Sentra above a bit worse - at at 9.0 L / 100 kms real world ' combined ' fuel economy.

So, if you want to do much better than 8.0 L / 100 kms, I think you're going to have to look at either diesel or a vehicle smaller engine than 1.8L - i.e as in an Accent, Aveo, Echo, yaris, Rio, Versa, Scion xB, etc.

And even some of those may not be an significant improvement - i.e the Accent, Versa and Rio hover at just at or above 8.0 L / 100 kms as well. Or, they may be beyond your price point.

That said, ...CR rated an Echo with a 1.5L engine at real world ' combined ' fuel economy of 6.2 L / 100 kms.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Echo ftw. The auto is gutless though.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2119 posts
636 upvotes
Etobicoke
poedua wrote: I'd just scour Kijiji and filter your search for auto Corollas, Civics, Elantras, Matrixes, Vibes, Sentras - all have very fuel efficient 1.8 L engines - that have an asking price of $3,000 and less.

fwiw....Consumer Reports rated the real world ' combined ' fuel economy of a Corolla at 8.1 L / 100 kms.

However, CR rated that vintage of Sentra above a bit worse - at at 9.0 L / 100 kms real world ' combined ' fuel economy.

So, if you want to do much better than 8.0 L / 100 kms, I think you're going to have to look at either diesel or a vehicle smaller engine than 1.8L - i.e as in an Accent, Aveo, Echo, yaris, Rio, Versa, Scion xB, etc.

And even some of those may not be an significant improvement - i.e the Accent, Versa and Rio hover at just at or above 8.0 L / 100 kms as well. Or, they may be beyond your price point.

That said, ...CR rated an Echo with a 1.5L engine at real world ' combined ' fuel economy of 6.2 L / 100 kms.

My sentra was right at 9l/100km so about 500km on a 45l tank
Sep 9, 2007
388 posts
130 upvotes
OP stated 8km per L and not 8L per 100km

If it's not a mistake, 8km/L equals 12,5L/100km
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2729 upvotes
ON
ClasslessHipster wrote: You should have just kept the cavalier
This.
Drive it until it dies, they're the best value in that price range. And if anything breaks, dirt cheap parts from the junk yard.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
capitainefritz wrote: OP stated 8km per L and not 8L per 100km

If that's the case, that's not what I'd call the sort of ' good fuel economy ' the OP is looking for.

But nonetheless if 12.5L/100km is what he's looking for then there are countless choices of vehicle with 2.0L - 2.5 L 4 cylinder and 3.0L - 3.5L cylinder engines that can deliver that sort of 12.5L/100km.

That said, his Cavalier had a 2.2L 4 cylinder which CR rated at worst 10.2 /100km real world ' combined ' fuel economy and as good as 9.0 /100km real world ' combined ' fuel economy - so why the OP would be shopping for a vehicle with worse fuel economy than his Cavalier had for making deliveries is beyond me.

So, I suspect it was a mistake, and the OP just made a typo.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2003
2726 posts
151 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: 1996-2000 Honda Civic
With broken ac and work brakes
(\______
(='.'=)
(\__/)
(")_(")
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4330 upvotes
Deimos wrote: With broken ac and work brakes
There are plenty of one owner minters left out there. Just have to be patient.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Deimos wrote: With broken ac and work brakes
A family member has a nice 1998 if anyone is interested. Automatic, rust free and in book 'em dano red.

Everything works as well. I just don't like how neutered the automatics are. Haven't driven an autotragic in so many years, it's not even funny. *It also has an automatic drink dispenser (when it rains drips from leaky sunroof).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2147 posts
234 upvotes
Ottawa
capitainefritz wrote: OP stated 8km per L and not 8L per 100km

Yes I meant 8km per liter or higher efficiency. My cavalier was getting me about 8.4km per liter of gas. I did buy the 2006 Nissan Sentra for $1700 and put in $200 of work on brakes, rotors, oil change, etc.