Computers & Electronics

Best Case & other stuff for iPad 3rd Gen?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2012 1:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2774 posts
231 upvotes

Best Case & other stuff for iPad 3rd Gen?

I want to get the iPad 3rd Gen for my wife and I'm trying to decide on a case.

I have always liked the Otterbox and it has a built-in stand.
BUT no sense getting it if the screen cover part dulls the crisp screen.

So anyone with experience with the Otterbox case; does it dull the screen?

Also
- Is the iPad extended warranty with Apple worth it?
- Is there anyway to get a discount? (places to buy, or deals etc)
- If Otterbox sucks, any other case suggestion that has a stand?
Maybe a "prettier" case as well but good protection is a priority.

- Any other cool accessories that would be good to get for the iPad?
She will be mostly using it on the subway and at home.
Mostly to read books but I'm sure she will find other uses for it (music, typing documents, games)

Any suggestions are welcome.
My Heatware
12 replies
Nov 2, 2011
293 posts
99 upvotes
LANGLEY
Well they just announced the new smart cover that will also cover the back for only $50 and the smart cover can stand the ipad 2 ways although not all that sturdy in the more upright position.

I have the smart cover on the front and a polyurethane back 3rd party case that works with the smart cover and has a magnet to hold the cover to that back. I really like the combo and I hate screen covers so I get to avoid that.

I don't know about any other deals unfortunately and the only other accessoriesI have so far is a stylus pen for drawing apps and draw something.

Other than that an ipod dock or something might be nice because the new ipad won't charge through usb 2.0 ports in your computer, they aren't powerful enough. You need to use the provided wall charger or something else specifically for the 3rd gen ipad. So an ipad dock or something else to charge it might be useful since the wall charger they provide has the shortest cord in the history of wall charging cords... A real pain since where I charge it it's practically impossible to use it at the same time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2774 posts
231 upvotes
CMvan46 wrote: Well they just announced the new smart cover that will also cover the back for only $50 and the smart cover can stand the ipad 2 ways although not all that sturdy in the more upright position.

I have the smart cover on the front and a polyurethane back 3rd party case that works with the smart cover and has a magnet to hold the cover to that back. I really like the combo and I hate screen covers so I get to avoid that.

I don't know about any other deals unfortunately and the only other accessoriesI have so far is a stylus pen for drawing apps and draw something.

Other than that an ipod dock or something might be nice because the new ipad won't charge through usb 2.0 ports in your computer, they aren't powerful enough. You need to use the provided wall charger or something else specifically for the 3rd gen ipad. So an ipad dock or something else to charge it might be useful since the wall charger they provide has the shortest cord in the history of wall charging cords... A real pain since where I charge it it's practically impossible to use it at the same time.
Good stuff! Thanks for the suggestions.

What is the 3rd Party case you used for the back?
My Heatware
Mar 10, 2002
432 posts
28 upvotes
I saw this article on Ars Technica a little while back:

Not-Horrible iPad Cases: a round-up of the best

The criteria it used are largely what I'd look for in an iPad case:

[QUOTE]As for our criteria: The case had to hit a reasonable price point ($60 or less) and protect the iPad by leaving no corner exposed. If it came with a front cover, it had to include magnets in order to activate the automatic sleep/wake functionality. It had to be able to be folded back into a stand, be constructed with durable and quality materials, and be comfortable to hold.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1268 posts
343 upvotes
We have 2 of the new iPads both are covered with the otterbox case. I agree the protector does dull down the screen but the best part is is that the screen protector basically pops out and with water I cleaned the glue that was used to keep it on now I have the otterbox protecting it all round and no screen protector may want to try it and see what you think
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2774 posts
231 upvotes
Shar wrote: I saw this article on Ars Technica a little while back:

Not-Horrible iPad Cases: a round-up of the best

The criteria it used are largely what I'd look for in an iPad case:
Excellent article. thanks!
M-_-C wrote: We have 2 of the new iPads both are covered with the otterbox case. I agree the protector does dull down the screen but the best part is is that the screen protector basically pops out and with water I cleaned the glue that was used to keep it on now I have the otterbox protecting it all round and no screen protector may want to try it and see what you think
Not sure if I want to spend that much and take out the screen. Thanks for the info though, at least I know it's removable.
The article above does provide quite a few nice alternatives.
My Heatware
Nov 2, 2011
293 posts
99 upvotes
LANGLEY
Majoram wrote: Good stuff! Thanks for the suggestions.

What is the 3rd Party case you used for the back?
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 378bc7en02

I don't think I paid $35 for it though. But it works with the smart covers quite well and the magnet on the back was a bigger deal than I thought when I bought it. It's very nice for just holding it out of the way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2774 posts
231 upvotes
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I will go with the suggestions in the Ars Technica article.
My Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
I use leather Apple Smart Cover and glossy screen protector.

I do have a 3rd party case/smart cover but I seldom use it.
Nov 2, 2011
293 posts
99 upvotes
LANGLEY
ppl4golf wrote: I use leather Apple Smart Cover and glossy screen protector.

I do have a 3rd party case/smart cover but I seldom use it.
Why both a smart cover and screen protector?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
CMvan46 wrote: Why both a smart cover and screen protector?
Why not ?

I baby the iPad pretty good and can probably get away without any protection. Screen protector was only $10 and buys me some protection against hard objects.

Smart cover is just cool and the iPad feels almost naked. SC is easy to take of if needed...I like the iPad naked :)
Nov 2, 2011
293 posts
99 upvotes
LANGLEY
Lol. Just asking because the smart cover already covers the screen and I only leave mine open when I'm using it plus I just don't like screen protectors.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
I also use a $2 neoprene from dollar store. Nice snug fit even withvthe smart cover...can't go wrong for a toonie.