• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2015 2:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
123 posts
13 upvotes

Best CC if I already fly for cheap with AC

Hello,
I previously had the TD Gold Elite, but am sick of tying up $5000 in my checking account to get the 1% cash back. I recently got the Scotia Gold Amex, but am looking for a card to supplement it.
I know travel cards give better rewards, but are they worth it if you don't need to book flights (I work for AC)?? I was thinking of going the BMO Travel Elite or the Cashback Elite (1.75%).
Any recommendations?
Thanks
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5206 posts
6759 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
How about a hotel rewards card such as Marriott from Chase or SPG from Amex? Pretty good rewards for hotel bookings. Plus the chase card will save you on the foreign exchange fees when using your card abroad
Mar 3, 2015
699 posts
95 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
cash back are better. scotia momentum is one of the best.
Mar 18, 2012
577 posts
120 upvotes
As already mentioned consider the Scotia Momentum. Also a card from Chase either Marriott or Amazon is a great option if you plan to travel as you'll basically save 2.5% over any other card.
I don't worry about having multiple cards. Scotia Momentum is our 'daily' while Chase Amazon does all my purchases that require currency conversion.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
The Cap ONe World Travel Elite may be interesting. The credits can be applied to any travel inlcuding hotels and car rentals.

Do you need a good insurance protection?
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
123 posts
13 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: The Cap ONe World Travel Elite may be interesting. The credits can be applied to any travel inlcuding hotels and car rentals.

Do you need a good insurance protection?
No, I think I'm fine on the insurance front. Thanks, I'll take a look at that card.
May 24, 2013
757 posts
213 upvotes
The scotiabank momentum is worth is as long as you spend $4950 a year or $412.5 a month on gas/groceries (assuming you have an existing 2% card). If you spend over that amount, then get the card. Otherwise, you'll be losing money.

My SO is a flight attendant for AC as well. Flight attendants really don't make much, unfortunately, so there are only so many cards she can apply for.
Apr 17, 2009
481 posts
93 upvotes
numnumnum wrote: Hello,
I previously had the TD Gold Elite, but am sick of tying up $5000 in my checking account to get the 1% cash back. I recently got the Scotia Gold Amex, but am looking for a card to supplement it.
I know travel cards give better rewards, but are they worth it if you don't need to book flights (I work for AC)?? I was thinking of going the BMO Travel Elite or the Cashback Elite (1.75%).
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Go with The Platinum Card by AMEX, a lot of employees have it and it's awesome. Lounges access works with flight passes (except maybe a few AC lounges). It's by far the best canadian credit card.
May 24, 2013
757 posts
213 upvotes
Toule wrote: Go with The Platinum Card by AMEX, a lot of employees have it and it's awesome. Lounges access works with flight passes (except maybe a few AC lounges). It's by far the best canadian credit card.
A $600 dollar annual fee is a little excessive for someone that (I presume) is a flight attendant. Even if they're an in-charge for AC, this card really isn't worth it. I'd recommend a 2% card, but I'll be able to put out a better recommendation once OP lists his/her income
[OP]
Nov 12, 2008
123 posts
13 upvotes
theBasher91 wrote: A $600 dollar annual fee is a little excessive for someone that (I presume) is a flight attendant. Even if they're an in-charge for AC, this card really isn't worth it. I'd recommend a 2% card, but I'll be able to put out a better recommendation once OP lists his/her income
My partner makes 100k and I make 45k. We were both on the TD Gold Elite and we are both planning on moving off it as we don't need the Autoclub and don't want to tie up $5000 each in our bank account. At 7%/year even $5000 of that is costing us $350 in lost interest income before taxes.

Thanks all for your help.
May 24, 2013
757 posts
213 upvotes
numnumnum wrote: My partner makes 100k and I make 45k. We were both on the TD Gold Elite and we are both planning on moving off it as we don't need the Autoclub and don't want to tie up $5000 each in our bank account. At 7%/year even $5000 of that is costing us $350 in lost interest income before taxes.

Hm, not sure what your grocery, gas and other spending consists of, but you should look into the MBNA Rewards World Elite. 2% cashback everywhere. $89 annual fee. First year is free. $100 bonus after your first purchase. So it's effectively free for just over two years. I'm sure there are other good options out there.

As mentioned, if you spend over $412.50 on gas/groceries per month on a credit card, you should look into the scotiabank momentum.

Alternatively, if you travel a lot, look into the chase marriott visa card. 30000 bonus points and first year free, but $120 annual fee afterwards. No foreign exchange fee if you travel a lot.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25240 posts
6925 upvotes
where I belong
numnumnum wrote: My partner makes 100k and I make 45k. We were both on the TD Gold Elite and we are both planning on moving off it as we don't need the Autoclub and don't want to tie up $5000 each in our bank account. At 7%/year even $5000 of that is costing us $350 in lost interest income before taxes.

You could just use a Joint all-inclusive account with $5K and put the TD Gold Elite on it for free, or even TD First Class too
theBasher91 wrote: Hm, not sure what your grocery, gas and other spending consists of, but you should look into the MBNA Rewards World Elite. 2% cashback everywhere. $89 annual fee. First year is free. $100 bonus after your first purchase. So it's effectively free for just over two years. I'm sure there are other good options out there.

As mentioned, if you spend over $412.50 on gas/groceries per month on a credit card, you should look into the scotiabank momentum.

Alternatively, if you travel a lot, look into the chase marriott visa card. 30000 bonus points and first year free, but $120 annual fee afterwards. No foreign exchange fee if you travel a lot.
For Chase Marriott
Remember to use the 50K link instead of 30K, see my signature thread
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K