• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2009 10:55 pm
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA

Best cellular option for light use?

Hello.

What's the best cellular option for very very light use?

Thanks.
10 replies
May 2, 2006
895 posts
291 upvotes
Go with the Speakout promotion going on now. But $100 airtime credit, get a free phone and a bonus $25 air time. Airtime valid for 1 year. Buy it at 7-Eleven.
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
kingwirelessonline.com wrote: you can go with fido or koodo $15 plan
or telus prepaid $20 5 fave numbers unlimited calling
Is that $15/$20 + network access fee + 911 fee + whatever_bulshit_fee_we_can_stick_you_with_today + taxes?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
For a extreme light user, the cheapest monthly plan is no good from any provder

15 + tax , you get no caller ID or anything like that AND your minutes dont carry over

Just get a prepaid account w/ automatic top up. You get call display and VM for free . Also, minutes carry over to the next month if you dont finish it.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
Diamond_Ace wrote: Go with the Speakout promotion going on now. But $100 airtime credit, get a free phone and a bonus $25 air time. Airtime valid for 1 year. Buy it at 7-Eleven.
+1. A few more details: monthly cost is only $1/month. Use works out to 20 cents a minute and 8 cents per sent text (received texts are free). So if you planned on using it for less than 70 minutes a month, that would be $15/month. It includes caller id and voicemail. And the phone is free right now (without any "tab")

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/7-11 ... ne-805295/
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
Do you have a car?

Then get a cheap used Telus cell phone($10) dump in $100,

$100 - $10 activation fee

$90 - $40 for 1 year Towing

$50 airtime left at $0.40 rate.

Or you can get those $49 refurbs from Telus that come with $50 activation credit and $0.25 rate
May 24, 2007
715 posts
882 upvotes
Kelowna
JWL wrote: +1. A few more details: monthly cost is only $1/month. Use works out to 20 cents a minute and 8 cents per sent text (received texts are free). So if you planned on using it for less than 70 minutes a month, that would be $15/month. It includes caller id and voicemail. And the phone is free right now (without any "tab")

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/7-11 ... ne-805295/

I say go 7-11 Speakout as well. I've been using it for the past few years and the deal they have now where you spend $100 and get $140 worth of minutes and a free phone rocks. For the occasional or emergency call it beats everything hands down and the fact that it's good for a year makes it ideal to spend the cash and forget about it.

I say spend a little more and get the flip phones for an extra $15 instead of the cheaper phone they include.

When I say spend $100 and get $140 it breaks down as follows. When you spend $100 they give you $25 as a bonus. The free phone comes with $5 worth of airtime and if you know anyone with Speakout already you can get an extra $10 for referring a friend (you each get $10).

If you need a referral code feel free to PM me and I'll give you one.

Check out this site for everything you need to know:

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

A few other quick details is that it runs off the Rogers network so a locked Rogers phone will work no problem. They also just added a $7 a month unlimited on device browsing option if that interests you.

You could also buy a used Speakout SIM for cheap, throw it into a Rogers, Fido or Speakout phone and buy a $25 card. It still lasts for a year and though it would go fairly fast if used repeatedly, if it's only used for emergencies there's not a cheaper solution in Canada.

Hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
Here is a great deal to get you started.

Go to Loblaws/superstore/maxi and get the Samsung phone for $34 - 10 coupon - $10 grocery coupon and NO TAX

YOu get the phone for $14 and $40 activation credit. Now you can use up that money to see how much you really use on the phone, then you can continue for $25 for another 2 months until something better comes along if you dont want to invese $$$ right now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)