Travel

Best (cheapest) way to travel from St. Catharines to Belleville and back?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2023 3:43 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2020
125 posts
61 upvotes
Belleville

Best (cheapest) way to travel from St. Catharines to Belleville and back?

Hi all,

What's the best/cheapest way to get from St. Catharines to Belleville and back consistently? I have a car, but it's too long of a drive to go the entire way, so I would like to take transit if possible. However, VIA rail is way too expensive for me given that I don't know my availability until a couple days before so I usually can't get the escape price. Rideshare is also a hit or miss as not a lot of people travel to Belleville...

My current approach is to drive to Burlington, ride GO to Union, then take VIA from there (with my hours, I can't ride to Oshawa as I'd miss the VIA there). Coming back is a lot easier as I can just VIA to Oshawa and then GO the entire way back to Burlington.

If anybody has any experience regarding this kind of trip, I'd love to know.
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22555 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
blademagic wrote: Hi all,

What's the best/cheapest way to get from St. Catharines to Belleville and back consistently? I have a car, but it's too long of a drive to go the entire way, so I would like to take transit if possible. However, VIA rail is way too expensive for me given that I don't know my availability until a couple days before so I usually can't get the escape price. Rideshare is also a hit or miss as not a lot of people travel to Belleville...

My current approach is to drive to Burlington, ride GO to Union, then take VIA from there (with my hours, I can't ride to Oshawa as I'd miss the VIA there). Coming back is a lot easier as I can just VIA to Oshawa and then GO the entire way back to Burlington.

If anybody has any experience regarding this kind of trip, I'd love to know.
Looks like a plan

Also to save money …

# 1 = Join their Loyalty Program = Via Préférence Points

# 2 = Look for their Frequent Travellers Discount Cards = https://www.viarail.ca/en/offers/frequent-railers

This current one is on sale until January 5th … for use up to February 2nd, 2023

But another one for the next time period should be announced soon
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17034 posts
12436 upvotes
Toronto
your options are what you posted or driving.

It's a roughly 300 KM trip one way, so roughly 3 hours drive if you can miss rush "hour" (easier said than done)
[OP]
Oct 15, 2020
125 posts
61 upvotes
Belleville
PointsHubby wrote: Looks like a plan

Also to save money …

# 1 = Join their Loyalty Program = Via Préférence Points

# 2 = Look for their Frequent Travellers Discount Cards = https://www.viarail.ca/en/offers/frequent-railers

This current one is on sale until January 5th … for use up to February 2nd, 2023

But another one for the next time period should be announced soon
Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll join the loyalty program and wait for the next discount card. Unfortunately the current discount card only applies to the middle of the week and Sat, whereas I'll mostly be travelling Friday and Sunday. Spending $550 bucks to get enough points for a one-way trip (that doesn't even go all the way Disappointed Face) sounds rough though. I guess if this is the only option I have, I might as well save where I can lol

[OP]
Oct 15, 2020
125 posts
61 upvotes
Belleville
Swerny wrote: your options are what you posted or driving.

It's a roughly 300 KM trip one way, so roughly 3 hours drive if you can miss rush "hour" (easier said than done)
Haha yeah, this is what I feared. I've driven the distance a couple times already and stop n' go really kills me. I find myself having to take multiple breaks as well or risk nodding off on the road, so an ~3 hour trip usually ends up taking like 4.5 hours or more.

Banned
Jan 1, 2023
1 posts
Bus - St catharines fairview mall to Burlington GO
Burlington GO train to Union
Union to Belleville via

It'll take 5+ hours and wont be cheap. I'd just drive, take a nap east of the GTA at a rest stop if you must and only travel through GTA 11am-1pm or after 8pm