Careers

Best city for engineering job prospects

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2012 1:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 12, 2011
160 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Best city for engineering job prospects

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone thinks are the best cities in Canada for engineers? Especially fresh out of university with a bachelors degree. I know that Calgary and Edmonton are good, but what about Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal? I was thinking of either electrical engineering or chemical engineering. I'd imagine that Calgary is the best for the latter because of the oil industry, and since most petroleum engineers work there.

Thanks.
36 replies
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
Don't always think in terms of what Canadian city is best but rather what Canadian companies or industries are best now, because they may ship you off to the Middle East or Africa or wherever they have operations that need your skills. I would say right now Greater Toronto is the worst market for engineers simply due to numbers. There are far more candidates than there are opportunities. More people should think worldwide instead of local when it comes to jobs because that is what globalization is doing now. Jobs being created are not likely to be local, they are going to be anywhere on the planet. This is more true in engineering than in any other occupation.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: Don't always think in terms of what Canadian city is best but rather what Canadian companies or industries are best now, because they may ship you off to the Middle East or Africa or wherever they have operations that need your skills. I would say right now Greater Toronto is the worst market for engineers simply due to numbers. There are far more candidates than there are opportunities. More people should think worldwide instead of local when it comes to jobs because that is what globalization is doing now. Jobs being created are not likely to be local, they are going to be anywhere on the planet. This is more true in engineering than in any other occupation.

Good god. Do you actually believe what you write?
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
JK400 wrote: Good god. Do you actually believe what you write?

Absolutely. You think Canada is some kind of job creating monster where everyone will find satisfying employment? I think not. Canada does not owe anyone a career or even an opportunity for a career, you have to dig that out yourself and if it means leaving the country, by all means do it. There are many Canadians living and working abroad now who would have little or nothing to do if they stayed here. :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: Absolutely. You think Canada is some kind of job creating monster where everyone will find satisfying employment? I think not. Canada does not owe anyone a career or even an opportunity for a career, you have to dig that out yourself and if it means leaving the country, by all means do it. There are many Canadians living and working abroad now who would have little or nothing to do if they stayed here. :D

No I don't think everyone will find satisfying employment. But just because of that you don't have to blow the actual situation way out of proportion to the opposite end of the spectrum and insinuate the market is virtually non existent (especially in the GTA. Buddy there are kids in school making over $50,000 in engineering right now on work placements) or that you have to be shipped to Africa to find employment.

Your remarks aren't even CLOSE to reality.
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
Jay Hova wrote: On the fence about Africa, but what companies ship people to the middle-east?

SNC-Lavalin PAE has had people in Afghanistan for several years now. Others like Worley Parsons, AECOM, Baker Hughes, McDermott International, Saudi Aramco have placements in the Middle East too.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: SNC-Lavalin PAE has had people in Afghanistan for several years now. Others like Worley Parsons, AECOM, Baker Hughes, McDermott International, Saudi Aramco have placements in the Middle East too.

So what if those companies have projects in those countries and some staff there? That doesn't mean if you get hired in one of the many openings in their Canadian offices that these companies are going to deploy you to Afghanistan randomly one day.

Time for a reality check sir.
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
Terrific_Deals2k8 wrote: @timewaster: Time to check into reality ;)

First of all, you don't join their "Canadian" office because you apply directly for the job they post for Afghanistan, UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc. They may not have any engineering positions you qualify for in Canada. That's the point, don't be obsessed with Canada. Maybe if you bothered to look at some of the company web sites or the jobs they post in monster.com you would be enlightened about working abroad. I am speaking to the wrong people here....Canada is the only game in town for them. Can't look beyond their own borders for employment.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
lol timewaster, definitely wasting my time reading your posts.
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
JK400 wrote: So what if those companies have projects in those countries and some staff there? That doesn't mean if you get hired in one of the many openings in their Canadian offices that these companies are going to deploy you to Afghanistan randomly one day.

Time for a reality check sir.

Only an idiot would make a statement like this. Randomly deploy you to Afghanistan one day? Like I said, you don't get hired for their Canadian offices in the first place, you get hired directly for their operations overseas. Is this too difficult for you to understand? Did your mommy drop you on your head when you were a baby?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: Don't always think in terms of what Canadian city is best but rather what Canadian companies or industries are best now, because they may ship you off to the Middle East or Africa or wherever they have operations that need your skills.

lol time waster, wastin' my time readin' your posts!

Go get a job as a CAD operator or something and make yourself a productive member of society. We've already got a Pitz on this forum.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3218 upvotes
Calgary
Hyperfluxe wrote: Hello,

I was wondering what everyone thinks are the best cities in Canada for engineers? Especially fresh out of university with a bachelors degree. I know that Calgary and Edmonton are good, but what about Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal? I was thinking of either electrical engineering or chemical engineering. I'd imagine that Calgary is the best for the latter because of the oil industry, and since most petroleum engineers work there.

Thanks.

Calgary is probably best for Chem/Mechanical. But awful for Electrical/Computer. Ottawa is probably the opposite.

Fresh out of university is pretty much universally bad everywhere for Electrical/Computer.

People who are able to find jobs in 'niches' tend to make more than those who have a Mech Eng degree and merely go to work for some contractor in Calgary who has 50 other Mech engineers, IMHO. Easier to set yourself apart that way.

Really, its not a lot different than accountants. You're not going to get rich as an accountant working in Deloitte's cube farm in Calgary (but you might get clausterphobic!). But once you get out of there and actually working for a principal business, you'll probably make more!
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3218 upvotes
Calgary
JK400 wrote: lol time waster, wastin' my time readin' your posts!

Go get a job as a CAD operator or something and make yourself a productive member of society. We've already got a Pitz on this forum.

Still obsessed with someone who hasn't been seen or posted here for years JK400? :lol:
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2010
492 posts
194 upvotes
Austin, TX
Jay Hova wrote: Awesome. Afghanistan honestly sounds cool.
Do you know if they are interested in Systems Engineers?

They are definitely in need of systems engineers. Believe me, al-Qaeda and the Taliban need them to coordinate very complex projects and logistics to effectively strike at the enemy.

For elec grads (esp. communications) in need of employment, Hezbollah in South Lebanon has taken control over many of the telecommunications networks and infrastructure for wiretapping and surveillance. However, there is a shortage of skilled engineers to complete many requirements for a robust unit. Fluency in Arabic required; strong knowledge of the Lebanese dialect would be an asset.

There are probably a few Western companies covertly providing services for such elements; the hard part is not getting caught for the shady deals, like the way Riggs Bank was.
The sea is behind you and the enemy is in front. — Tariq ibn Ziyad

Top