• Apr 10th, 2012 1:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 12, 2011
160 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Ah that sucks, I was really looking at electrical/computer engineering as an option, but since employment is bad I think I'll just discard it.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3217 upvotes
Calgary
Hyperfluxe wrote: Ah that sucks, I was really looking at electrical/computer engineering as an option, but since employment is bad I think I'll just discard it.

In 5 years...who knows... Chem/Civil are shaping up to be real gluts right now as well, while Electrical/Computer, as an option, has very low enrolments.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Jun 21, 2011
141 posts
2 upvotes
Hyperfluxe wrote: Ah that sucks, I was really looking at electrical/computer engineering as an option, but since employment is bad I think I'll just discard it.

Employment sucks for almost every field. There are a few in healthcare that are decent.

lol @ the guy telling people to move overseas. Yeah, because re-rooting yourself across the world is worth it for some BS job. You can find a job in canada (and even your city of choice) if you do the right things. Since you're doing this kind of research so early, I have no doubt that you'll be fine.

Calgary is probably the best overall.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes

Are you joking me? You're going to trust the opinion of some random stranger on the internet in order to make life altering career decisions?

From your other thread it looks like you're going into waterloo's coop engineering program. The student job placement rates in that program are really high for electrical/computer engineers and many leave their program with job offers in hand. Waterloos engineering for electrical/computer is one of the best in the country and have job placement rates to match.

You're going to look smart when your classmates all have job offers and you're standing there with none saying stuff like "B-b-b-ut Mark77....Nortel!!!"

Give me a break.

Edit: Sorry that was a different user with a similar name going to waterloo. But my points stand.
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: SNC-Lavalin PAE has had people in Afghanistan for several years now. Others like Worley Parsons, AECOM, Baker Hughes, McDermott International, Saudi Aramco have placements in the Middle East too.

You do know the Middle East is full of engineers from different Arab countries, India and Pakistan.

There is no shortage of entry-level engineers in the Middle East.

I don't see how it's easier for a recent grad to find a decent engineering job in the Middle East compared to Canada.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
dandy2008 wrote: You do know the Middle East is full of engineers from different Arab countries, India and Pakistan.

I don't see how it's easier for a recent grad to find a decent engineering job in the Middle East compared to Canada.

He's obviously exaggerating. There's a few guys on here with an axe to grind for the engineering profession who come and say off the wall stuff now and then. Anyone who's working or even students who are doing the coop thing know better than to listen to these guys. Maybe they can fool some 18 year olds, but even then they'd have to be pretty gullible.
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
"You do know the Middle East is full of engineers from different Arab countries, India and Pakistan.
There is no shortage of entry-level engineers in the Middle East.I don't see how it's easier for a recent grad to find a decent engineering job in the Middle East compared to Canada."

The jobs being filled by SNC-Lavalin PAE for the Kandahar Airfield were specifically meant for Canadian citizens, not just anyone. The pre-deployment training was being done near Ottawa, meaning they weren't prepared to fly people in from India and then send them to Afghanistan. There are a lot of security clearance issues that foreign candidates may not be able to pass. As for whether it is easier to get into jobs like that or jobs in Canada, I couldn't judge that. Not all the positions are for graduate engineers either. Also, are you aware that there is no shortage of entry-level engineers in Canada as well? :lol:
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
35 upvotes
Canada
"He's obviously exaggerating. There's a few guys on here with an axe to grind for the engineering profession who come and say off the wall stuff now and then. Anyone who's working or even students who are doing the coop thing know better than to listen to these guys. Maybe they can fool some 18 year olds, but even then they'd have to be pretty gullible."

For someone who has worked in only one country and has only one citizenship, you sure have an oversized ego. I'm sure that rubs everyone around you the right way. :D
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: "He's obviously exaggerating. There's a few guys on here with an axe to grind for the engineering profession who come and say off the wall stuff now and then. Anyone who's working or even students who are doing the coop thing know better than to listen to these guys. Maybe they can fool some 18 year olds, but even then they'd have to be pretty gullible."

For someone who has worked in only one country and has only one citizenship, you sure have an oversized ego. I'm sure that rubs everyone around you the right way. :D

That's all you need to have a realistic idea of what the job market is like in Canada. You gotta stop smoking dope and then coming on the message board posting your conspiracy theories.
Oct 20, 2010
492 posts
194 upvotes
Austin, TX
dandy2008 wrote: You do know the Middle East is full of engineers from different Arab countries, India and Pakistan.

There is an excess supply of entry-level engineers in the Middle East, an admired and well-respected profession by the region's educated masses. Those of you who studied engineering in Canada (at least in the big cities) may have noticed a strong proportion of students that were from the Middle East who tend to gravitate towards this field.

It's actually quite terrible over there, and the melancholic depiction of the engineering profession consistently being propagated by Mark77 is accurate in places like Syria, Libya, Egypt, and Tunisia. And this, the high overall level of youth unemployment and lack of opportunities, was a main factor in the uprisings against those countries' savage, barbaric, and backward governments.
The sea is behind you and the enemy is in front. — Tariq ibn Ziyad
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Timewaster wrote: The jobs being filled by SNC-Lavalin PAE for the Kandahar Airfield were specifically meant for Canadian citizens, not just anyone. The pre-deployment training was being done near Ottawa, meaning they weren't prepared to fly people in from India and then send them to Afghanistan. There are a lot of security clearance issues that foreign candidates may not be able to pass.
http://www.snclavalinpae.com/en/current ... aspx?id=43
SNC-Lavalin PAE is closing its project on Kandahar Airfield Afghanistan as the Canadian military departs the area.

As for whether it is easier to get into jobs like that or jobs in Canada, I couldn't judge that. Not all the positions are for graduate engineers either. Also, are you aware that there is no shortage of entry-level engineers in Canada as well? :lol:

No................Alberta, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan have better opportunities for recent grads than anywhere in the Middle East.
Dec 17, 2010
268 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Getting off-topic... I think it's best if we just agree to keep an open mind about positions abroad that might be interesting.

I'm a student myself so my opinion is probably not worth much, but I usually hear that Alberta has more opportunities for engineers compared to the rest of Canada. And since Edmonton sucks, Calgary wins by default! :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
ThoughtPolice wrote: Getting off-topic... I think it's best if we just agree to keep an open mind about positions abroad that might be interesting.
I think we all pretty much agree with that to one extent or another. That doesn't mean you have to go around trashing Canada and making stuff up though.
Dec 17, 2010
268 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
JK400 wrote: I think we all pretty much agree with that to one extent or another. That doesn't mean you have to go around trashing Canada and making stuff up though.

Wrong poster, dude