Shopping Discussion

Which is best cleaner for Zojirushi Water Boiler?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2016 10:09 am
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2005
4734 posts
147 upvotes
Markham/GTA

Which is best cleaner for Zojirushi Water Boiler?

Anyone here have a Zojirushi Water Boiler? What are you guys using to clean it? Citric Acid?

I was looking for a good cleaner for it, would this work?
https://www.amazon.ca/LemiShine-WX10X10 ... op?ie=UTF8

They have a genuine Zojirushi cleaner but it's a bit pricey ...
https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-Electri ... hi+cleaner
Tangerine, GreatCanadianRebates, Rakuten, Coinbase, Shakepay
16 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
I would just buy a 3L bottle of Allen's Cleaning Vinegar (10% acetic acid) and use that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
I normally just cut a lemon in half. Boil it in the water boiler with a full tank of water. It removes any smell and stain.
Jan 30, 2008
316 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
we rarely clean ours so when we do, the build up is pretty tough. i use citric acid packs and do like 2-3 cleaning cycles and for the most part, it cleans pretty well on it's own. we used some random asian brand where we bought our boiler. i can't remember the price but i believe it was cheaper than the one you posted from zojirushi.

i've used normal white vinegar (which is not as strong as the cleaning vinegar noted above) and it was pretty useless, so avoid normal vinegar if you have a lot of build up.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2005
4734 posts
147 upvotes
Markham/GTA
Thanks for the replies. I got a lot of build up.

Since you guys all have this Zojirushi water boiler, can I ask what is that metal thumb clip inside on the bottom? It attaches to the hole and I wonder if it serves a purpose (I always forget to put it back on after it comes loose).
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1925 posts
488 upvotes
YVR
Like a N above poster said, cut 1/2 lemon and boil the water. Just pour it out and your boiler will be clean. The water stains inside gone and smells good.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1718 posts
1755 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Just use white vinegar.
Heat 1 cup of vinegar over medium heat until hot. Soak the mug in the hot vinegar for 4 hours or overnight.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
I been using osmosis water from my water filter to boil water
no more build up
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Apr 8, 2007
600 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
We use lemon and vinegar.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2005
4734 posts
147 upvotes
Markham/GTA
Keigotw wrote: I been using osmosis water from my water filter to boil water
no more build up
I wonder if Berkey filtered water would also prevent build up? I'll give it a try.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote:
lecale wrote: You can get 1 lb citric acid which would be 16 uses for $17.50 at Golda's Kitchen...I like them but they probably aren't the cheapest place. Bulk Barn?

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/ca/citric- ... tions=cart
Rcss sells it in the asian aisle. was a couple of dollars. I'll have to check the price in store on friday. :)
Actually just saw it today in the Indian section of Freshco, 200g (7 uses) for $1.49
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
jtcb wrote: I normally just cut a lemon in half. Boil it in the water boiler with a full tank of water. It removes any smell and stain.
Do you squeeze the lemon juice first into the boiler or just put the lemon in and boil?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote:
jtcb wrote: I normally just cut a lemon in half. Boil it in the water boiler with a full tank of water. It removes any smell and stain.
Do you squeeze the lemon juice first into the boiler or just put the lemon in and boil?
I don't squeeze the juice. You could if you like.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
lecale wrote:
bluebellrose wrote:
lecale wrote: You can get 1 lb citric acid which would be 16 uses for $17.50 at Golda's Kitchen...I like them but they probably aren't the cheapest place. Bulk Barn?

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/ca/citric- ... tions=cart
Rcss sells it in the asian aisle. was a couple of dollars. I'll have to check the price in store on friday. :)
Actually just saw it today in the Indian section of Freshco, 200g (7 uses) for $1.49
Rcss sells it for 99 cents for approx 200 grams as well.
Sep 25, 2010
219 posts
58 upvotes
I use PBW. works amazingly. It's an alkaline cleaner used in for home brewing cleaning. It will work fine for this purpose.

PBW = Powdered Brewers Wash