Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 23, 2009
77 posts
1 upvote

Best college to study art foundations?

Hi Guys -

I am interested in so many areas - graphic design, illustration, and even fashion design. I can't figure out in which area to focus. That's why I think doing an art foundation course offered at the following colleges might be a good idea:

Here are a list of colleges that offer art fundies programs:

Seneca@York - Art Fundamentals
Centennial - Art + Design Foundation Studies
GBC - Art and Design Foundation Program
Sheridan - Art Fundamentals

What are the differences between the things you learn at each school? Are they even necessary in terms of getting you on to a degree program?

Thanks so much!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2509 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
soaringshrimp wrote: Hi Guys -

I am interested in so many areas - graphic design, illustration, and even fashion design. I can't figure out in which area to focus. That's why I think doing an art foundation course offered at the following colleges might be a good idea:

What are the differences between the things you learn at each school? Are they even necessary in terms of getting you on to a degree program?

Thanks so much!

Sheridan would be the better choice out of the schools you listed, although I would suggest narrowing down your focus.. what's your background in art like? I guess if you've never done it before then Art Fundamentals would be a good introduction.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4236 posts
296 upvotes
soaringshrimp wrote: Hi Guys -

Thanks so much!
You need to contact each school and compare yourself. They're the ones that can give you the best info.

And why university? You won't be doing graphic design there.
If you're considering b/w college and university, I'd do university in general because you could double major or get a minor as a back up program. College is 1 way street.
Mar 9, 2011
12 posts
Ontario
Sheridan Art Fundamentals focus mainly towards the fine arts rather than design. Meaning you will NOT be working on computer applications at all. So you will likely go for Illustration/Animation/Fashion/etc. Programs that are related in the fine arts field. But other Fundamentals/Foundation program does have computer apps. It all depends on what you want to do. If you are still thinking of graphic design or illustration.. might as well go to a program that has both fine arts and design. But if Illustration or Fashion is your interest than I highly recommend Sheridan Art Fundamentals.

I am going to George Brown for Art and Design Foundation Fall 2011 cause the cirruculum teaches both fine arts and design. So there is a mixture of paint, life drawing, photography, computer apps, etc. Seneca and Centennial has a mixture of both as well. I was about to apply to their program but I really don't like the campus. At first I applied for Humber Design Foundation cause it mainly focus on the design field but what I am afraid is that it may lead me to Interior or Industrial Design which I don't want to do. So I changed my mind.

The reason why I am taking George Brown Art and Design Foundation cause it has an automatic acceptance to their Graphic Design (which I plan to do) program with a GPA of 3.0 ...just incase if I do not get accepted to Humber/Seneca/YSDN for Graphic Design (since it has internship/co-op) after foundation. The thing is George Brown Graphic Design does not have an internship but year-end design thesis. I want to go to a program that includes internship. Then again it depends on how hard I work.

Maybe Graphic Design is not right for me, who knows! That is why I am taking Foundation to find out my interest. I might consider animation or illustration.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2009
77 posts
1 upvote
Ruu_L wrote: Sheridan Art Fundamentals focus mainly towards the fine arts rather than design. Meaning you will NOT be working on computer applications at all. So you will likely go for Illustration/Animation/Fashion/etc. Programs that are related in the fine arts field. But other Fundamentals/Foundation program does have computer apps. It all depends on what you want to do. If you are still thinking of graphic design or illustration.. might as well go to a program that has both fine arts and design. But if Illustration or Fashion is your interest than I highly recommend Sheridan Art Fundamentals.

I am going to George Brown for Art and Design Foundation Fall 2011 cause the cirruculum teaches both fine arts and design. So there is a mixture of paint, life drawing, photography, computer apps, etc. Seneca and Centennial has a mixture of both as well. I was about to apply to their program but I really don't like the campus. At first I applied for Humber Design Foundation cause it mainly focus on the design field but what I am afraid is that it may lead me to Interior or Industrial Design which I don't want to do. So I changed my mind.

The reason why I am taking George Brown Art and Design Foundation cause it has an automatic acceptance to their Graphic Design (which I plan to do) program with a GPA of 3.0 ...just incase if I do not get accepted to Humber/Seneca/YSDN for Graphic Design (since it has internship/co-op) after foundation. The thing is George Brown Graphic Design does not have an internship but year-end design thesis. I want to go to a program that includes internship. Then again it depends on how hard I work.

Maybe Graphic Design is not right for me, who knows! That is why I am taking Foundation to find out my interest. I might consider animation or illustration.
Thanks everyone and especially Ruu_L for your informative reply!

I'm glad to see there are others in the same boat as me who don't know exactly what field they'd like to go into. Ideally I want to find a program that isn't skewed heavily towards any one area (design vs fine arts), but offers a balanced approach in developing both design and fine art skills. So it sounds like the George Brown Art and Design Foundation program fits the bill, from what you say. One other thing I really like about GBC is their location. I don't drive and the Seneca campuses are at least an hour-long commute from my home.

But I may eventually go on to apply to YSDN so I don't want to rule things out. Can I still apply to YSDN later on armed with a certificate earned at GBC?
Mar 9, 2011
12 posts
Ontario
No problem.

I like GBC cause its in Toronto. What I am going to hate is to pay for GO bus monthly pass and metro. Close to $200 per month. Humber and Seneca I only take one transit bus which is an hour ride. Plus I save money. From what I heard Humber Design Foundation is good cause its towards the design field. Also for Interior and Industrial design. Sheridan Art Fundamentals is fine arts cause you need tons of life drawing and stuff if you plan to apply for Illustration or Animation since its very competitive. Centennial I honestly don't care. Seneca Art Fundamentals curriculum does have potential. Although I hate oversubsription and drawing test. I might get into YSDN since its joint York/Sheridan next year but I need to upgrade my College English to Uni. And I'll be done school at the age of 24. Also the tuition is crazy. I won't even bother with OCAD.

Anyways, you may still apply for YSDN with GBC certificate. But I will not say that you are guaranteed a spot cause YSDN is highly competitive and its always oversubscribed. My friend went through an interview. At the end the interviewers told her that "You don't have enough digital work. I don't think this program is right for you. Blah blah blah." Means she may not get accepted. But somehow she receieved a letter stating that its a conditional acceptance. In the end she got accepted. Maybe she got lucky or something. So yeah maybe you will have a chance into YSDN if you go for Seneca's Art Fundamentals. Other than that just WORK HARD.

Again this is from my perspective.