PC & Video Games

Best Console deals right now?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2009 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Best Console deals right now?

Hey guys,

My gaming rig on my PC is moving away to my new apartment. I'd actually like to replace it at home with either a Jasper XBOX360 bundle or PS3 bundle.

Questions (my last console was a ps2, before that an n64 and a dreamcast --> marvel vs capcom 2)

1) Which bundle comes with the best value? (most free games, controllers, subscriptions, etc.)

2) Which would be a better buy? (i know ps3 is a better machine, but is it worth the $200 premium in most cases?)

3) How much extra is going to 1080p going to cost me in cables? (unless either comes 1080p enabled) for the odd time a game comes out and I want it to look brilliant on the flat screen?

Thanks in advanced RFD.
--
I like detailing cars!
55 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 3, 2003
14464 posts
239 upvotes
Mississauga
HDMI cables are cheap at monoprice.com

PS3 does not charge for online, Xbox does.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
PS3 Price drop near the end of April/Early May, they're installing a new chip to reduce costs for manufacturing and consumers!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 3, 2003
14464 posts
239 upvotes
Mississauga
That price drop was supposed to already be announced 2 weeks ago...

Speculation of upto $100 USD.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8309 posts
1963 upvotes
Toronto
HMV has a pretty good deal on the ps3 now... you buy a ps3 at $399 and you get RE5 for free, so it's kinda like $70 off:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=713068

Of course that depends if you were planning on getting RE5 anyway.

Other than that, the RCSS tax-free days are probably the best time to pick up a console.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2003
15816 posts
724 upvotes
Stouffville
^ its not really a $70 savings as who here on RFD is gonna buy the game at 69.99... not many of us... many of us pre-ordered it for 43.99 off amazon.ca or bought 3 qualifying games for $10 each and did a trade 3 get 1 free at EB for the game... meaning only $30.... in essence if ur looking for deals, this one saves u about $40 ish...

i still think the $499 deal is a much better deal... uncharted is comparable to RE5.. and i think uncharted is the better game after having palyed both... so if u cancel those out, for an extra $100... someone looking for a ps3 can get 80gb more space, resistance 2 collectors edition and socom + ps3 headset.. this is from EB... id say those 3 things are worth the extra $100...

also, u never see any kind of deals like this in america... so even if the US price drops to 299 USD and 399 USD for the systems, u never know what canada is gonna do.. we are already giving out really good deals on these PS3's.. considering our dollar..

if you consider our dollar... an american can get the bundle i said, 160gb with uncharted, resistance 2 collectors and socom+headset for around $360 USD.... thats $140 cheaper than the current 160gb bundle alone... and then 2 free games worth about $60 each... americans would be saving like $250ish if they buy from canada right now..so i dont think an american price drop will affect our prices that much...

right now, the dollar isint taken into much consideration...

if the price goes down to 299 for an 80gb... if the dollar is then considered.. that means the 80gb will be 379 canadian.. a big $20 drop from right now.. just not worth it..

to the OP... go for the current EB games deal or the Walmart one if they still have it..
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1181 posts
211 upvotes
YoungDr3amer wrote: PS3 Price drop near the end of April/Early May, they're installing a new chip to reduce costs for manufacturing and consumers!
No company can afford to sell something that it cost more to produce. The current credits markets are dead frozen and no one is lending Sony any more money. They need to produce positive cash flow in this environment. The only way Sony will drop the price to $299 is if they have gotten their manufacturing cost in order and can produce less. Maybe they have. If they can pass the savings to consumers, why don't they just knock the price down from $399 to $349 first and then $299?

If anyone has looked at Sony's financial statements the last little bit, you will notice that it is absolutely horrible. The gaming division is terrible compared to Microsoft and there is no indication to support a hardware price drop. My feeling is Sony is trying to generate hardware sales by using free game incentives.
Banned
User avatar
Nov 9, 2003
1116 posts
4 upvotes
Prince George, BC, C…
engmsf wrote: No company can afford to sell something that it cost more to produce. The current credits markets are dead frozen and no one is lending Sony any more money. They need to produce positive cash flow in this environment. The only way Sony will drop the price to $299 is if they have gotten their manufacturing cost in order and can produce less. Maybe they have. If they can pass the savings to consumers, why don't they just knock the price down from $399 to $349 first and then $299?

If anyone has looked at Sony's financial statements the last little bit, you will notice that it is absolutely horrible. The gaming division is terrible compared to Microsoft and there is no indication to support a hardware price drop. My feeling is Sony is trying to generate hardware sales by using free game incentives.
its gonna happen.......ITS GONNA HAPPEN

AND THATS MY @#$@#$#@$ 2 CENTS, i hate that...freakin ending of a sentence/paragraph, MY 2 CENTS.....IMO.......JUST SAY IT AND MEAN IT AND WHO CARES WHAT ANYOEN SAYS

In a way saying the price drop will happen is good for Microsoft and Xbox 360 because people hold off on buying a ps3 and might even think twice and buy a 360 instead because they wait so long.....

TIPS TRICKS AND TACTICS
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25740 posts
4864 upvotes
You also have to keep in mind that the 360 has had a lot of reliability issues since it came out, whereas the PS3 has been rock solid.

Most of my friends who have 360's have had to have them replaced/fixed at least once.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Hey man,

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly look into Wal-Mart and/or EB. I'll also browse for coupons similar to staples where I get a general amount of money off etc.

I want the best for my money, whether its a PS3 or an XBOX 360. I'll update this thread, Im going to Futureshop where a buddy of mine works, but from when I used to work there, cost +10 is actually about the same price on the console since they're sold at a loss apparently.
grappos13 wrote: ^ its not really a $70 savings as who here on RFD is gonna buy the game at 69.99... not many of us... many of us pre-ordered it for 43.99 off amazon.ca or bought 3 qualifying games for $10 each and did a trade 3 get 1 free at EB for the game... meaning only $30.... in essence if ur looking for deals, this one saves u about $40 ish...

i still think the $499 deal is a much better deal... uncharted is comparable to RE5.. and i think uncharted is the better game after having palyed both... so if u cancel those out, for an extra $100... someone looking for a ps3 can get 80gb more space, resistance 2 collectors edition and socom + ps3 headset.. this is from EB... id say those 3 things are worth the extra $100...

also, u never see any kind of deals like this in america... so even if the US price drops to 299 USD and 399 USD for the systems, u never know what canada is gonna do.. we are already giving out really good deals on these PS3's.. considering our dollar..

if you consider our dollar... an american can get the bundle i said, 160gb with uncharted, resistance 2 collectors and socom+headset for around $360 USD.... thats $140 cheaper than the current 160gb bundle alone... and then 2 free games worth about $60 each... americans would be saving like $250ish if they buy from canada right now..so i dont think an american price drop will affect our prices that much...

right now, the dollar isint taken into much consideration...

if the price goes down to 299 for an 80gb... if the dollar is then considered.. that means the 80gb will be 379 canadian.. a big $20 drop from right now.. just not worth it..

to the OP... go for the current EB games deal or the Walmart one if they still have it..
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5887 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
Yea the cost price that retailers get it for is very close to the retail price of what they sell it for. The best deals as of now I think are the walmart deal where u get 3 BR movies and 3 games with the 160gb ps3 or Eb where u get 3 games and the BT headset with the 160gb unit for $499... I tried to get the walmart one but its sold out and the deal ends today if u can find it. There's also the deal that people have discussed with the 80gb unit and u get a RE 5 for free.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16013 posts
382 upvotes
YoungDr3amer wrote: PS3 Price drop near the end of April/Early May, they're installing a new chip to reduce costs for manufacturing and consumers!
=O

If that happens, I'm picking one up. =P
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Havo wrote: Yea the cost price that retailers get it for is very close to the retail price of what they sell it for. The best deals as of now I think are the walmart deal where u get 3 BR movies and 3 games with the 160gb ps3 or Eb where u get 3 games and the BT headset with the 160gb unit for $499... I tried to get the walmart one but its sold out and the deal ends today if u can find it. There's also the deal that people have discussed with the 80gb unit and u get a RE 5 for free.
I went to a wal-mart and couldn't find any PS3s so I guess i'll call a few see if they can hold it for me.
--
I like detailing cars!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Well i give up, the wal-mart ps3 bundle is sold out, looks like I'll wait for another sale. Thanks guys!
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2006
1923 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa
Dell DoD is on right now they'll likely throw up a PS3 or Xbox deal, no guarantee as to what kind of xbox you get though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6134 posts
787 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
SAN66 wrote: Dell DoD is on right now they'll likely throw up a PS3 or Xbox deal, no guarantee as to what kind of xbox you get though.
ah i see, ill check out the next few Dell DoDs
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1487 posts
37 upvotes
GTA
Xbox - there's some sales for $247 for the Pro (e.g. FS). Definitely make sure you get a Jasper.
PS3 - Doubt there are any left in the Sam's Club locations in the GTA but they had some pretty solid clearance deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2544 posts
97 upvotes
the RE5 360 jasper bundle is the best deal right now i think (assuming you want re5).

Top