None
[OP]
Sep 22, 2012
326 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto

Best credit card for flights/hotel/vacation purchases

Hi all:

I want to get your opinion on which credit card gives the best rewards when used for travel purchases (which is probably where I spend the most each year).
Since a lot of time the points to dollars isn’t one to one, so it can be quite confusing and misleading (like bmo world elite).

These are the ones I have and I used for different scenario.

HSBC world elite seems to be the best versatile travel card that earns 3% back doesn’t matter where I book (sometimes I get additional 10% discount on Expedia when booking with HSBC). Overall it’s a good card but their banking experience sucks.

TD first class also gives 4.5% back when book and spend through expediafortd, which is fine for most part but may not be best when I want to book a cruise. Also, this card doesn’t provide any additional incentives for renewing after FYF.

PC World Elite is similar to TD with 3% when book through pc travel but I found their booking system not very good (many offers from Expedia doesn’t show up). It does have additional discounts sometimes on top of the 3% back.

WestJet only gives 2% back even booking though WestJet (Sad), I really want to use them more but it’s decent for spending on everything else (1.5%) but not on travel. Thank god u don’t need to charge the trip to get free checked in luggage.

There are other cards from scotia bank, bmo and CIBC that seems to be good travel cards but not necessarily best to make travel purchases.

Can anyone provides any additional knowledge on other good travel cards (turn them into %back (instead of pts that isn’t 1 to 1 with dollars), especially American Express and airmile cards (I’m done with Aeroplan when they removed all my points last year)

Thanks.
7 replies
Oct 28, 2011
133 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
ScotiaGold Passport Visa Card

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

-Earn 5,000 (ie. $50) bonus Scotia Rewards points upon your first purchase
-Earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Scotia Rewards Travel Service
-Book and redeem for travel anywhere, anytime, with no travel restrictions
-Annual Fee $110.00
[OP]
Sep 22, 2012
326 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
toRFDer wrote: Scotia Rewards Travel Service
Do they have a good website for u to shop for deals yourself?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5662 posts
3722 upvotes
Probably HSBC is the best card at 3% cash back

If you do Aeroplan, maybe amex gold or platinum as that is equivalent to 2 Aeroplan per $. Plus they have decent travel benefits.

Edit: these cards don't restrict their bonuses to their own travel agent.

The Scotia 5% is restricted to their travel agent. Prices are not always going to be the best which defeats the purpose of the high cash back.
Oct 28, 2011
133 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Cuddlebudy wrote: Do they have a good website for u to shop for deals yourself?
Yes they have a decent shopping site. I've also found deals elsewhere, found it for more expensive on their site, called them and had them match the price. No complaints.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2012
326 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I managed to get 7¢/point with an Avios transfer bonus and a little luck, making the card effectively earn 14% on travel.
I don’t know what this means.
U get 14% with all travel purchases? How?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10944 posts
13346 upvotes
Vancouver
Cuddlebudy wrote: I don’t know what this means.
U get 14% with all travel purchases? How?
I got 14% on all of my 2-pts-per-dollar spending (which was mostly groceries in my case but could have been travel too) by redeeming my earned points for a flight that would otherwise have cost me enough money to make the points worth 7¢ each. Granted, this was an extreme case; MR redemption values this high are pretty rare and I got lucky. But it shows what is possible with Amex charge card MR points.