Credit Cards

Best credit card for medical expenses? ( highest earn rate)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 6:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
546 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto

Best credit card for medical expenses? ( highest earn rate)

Anyone know of a credit card with this category? Seems like a common recurring expense for most. I was disappointed that l could not find a Tangerine MC 2% category for it.

Considering regular dentist, physio etc. Multiplied with families.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
None that I know of.

Maybe Manulife or Sunlife offer a card?

Your best off going for the card with the best "everything else" reward. Such as Rogers WE MC on a keeper basis at 1.5%. Or the best Amex offering you can find (for those medicos that take Amex). Or the plethora of other churn options out there, if you're just chasing the first year WB.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Nov 3, 2009
575 posts
249 upvotes
For now, the Collabria World MC has 2% on everything with a $129 AF.

How long will it last? Not very, likely. Best bet is a straight 1.5 on Rogers. FYF is available through Brim right now too.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
Scott M. wrote: For now, the Collabria World MC has 2% on everything with a $129 AF.

How long will it last? Not very, likely. Best bet is a straight 1.5 on Rogers. FYF is available through Brim right now too.
Good tip.

I gather that's FYF?

What's the best CU for Ontario residents to get this through?
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14763 posts
19671 upvotes
Vancouver
For those of us lucky to have gotten them so long ago, Mogo prepaid Visa loaded with CTFS bill pay was killer. 1.5% in Mogo cash back, and 1% in Canadian Tire money. Total 2.5%. No annual fee for either. Sadly Mogo doesn't earn cash back anymore. I had a lot of physiotherapy expenses that got funneled through those two cards, and then reimbursed through Blue Cross. That was nice.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
Kiraly wrote: For those of us lucky to have gotten them so long ago, Mogo prepaid Visa loaded with CTFS bill pay was killer. 1.5% in Mogo cash back, and 1% in Canadian Tire money. Total 2.5%. No annual fee for either. Sadly Mogo doesn't earn cash back anymore. I had a lot of physiotherapy expenses that got funneled through those two cards, and then reimbursed through Blue Cross. That was nice.
Wow, that's for sure!

Man, you old-timers had it good.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15511 posts
13983 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: None that I know of.

Maybe Manulife or Sunlife offer a card?

Your best off going for the card with the best "everything else" reward. Such as Rogers WE MC on a keeper basis at 1.5%. Or the best Amex offering you can find (for those medicos that take Amex). Or the plethora of other churn options out there, if you're just chasing the first year WB.
You should know from my posts that I have Manulife's CC (it's garbage aside churning...can't wait to cancel this year). It'd be 1%/else on their VISA Infinite.
Scott M. wrote: For now, the Collabria World MC has 2% on everything with a $129 AF.

Afaik $120 AF
banker8 wrote:
Good tip.

I gather that's FYF?

What's the best CU for Ontario residents to get this through?
Ironically Steinbach CU in Manitoba. They accept Canadian residents from coast to shiny coast. $5 member share. Else DUCA in the GTA offers same AF/earn rate on a Collabria VISA Infinite. The MC World (example Steinbach) has 48 days travel medical.
banker8 wrote:
Wow, that's for sure!

Man, you old-timers had it good.
You're here now @banker8.

Moral of the story is:
  1. apply for prepaid cards as soon as you see them take applications. You never know when something will jam, putting everyone else on a perpetual waiting list
  2. Apply for credit and deposit products when they're relevant to you, whether for short or long term (churn or keep). These may be less urgent than the fintechs, but hey recessions and viral outbreaks happen every so often, as well as mergers (td buys mbna, cibc buys pcf banking, bns buys ing direct) plus weird market partnerships changing like Collabria replacing CUETS and it's just a matter of time before issuers shuffle policies that could affect new and/or existing cardholders. Take what you want on a sunny day, because it might not be up for grabs when you'd like to use it :lol:
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jul 6th, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: You should know from my posts that I have Manulife's CC (it's garbage aside churning...can't wait to cancel this year). It'd be 1%/else on their VISA Infinite.
Ha! I didn't know that.

I'm only familiar with your penchant for sod, and your dodgy blender Face With Tears Of Joy

And that you hold the fabled CTFS Cash Advantage card. I wanna get that myself, when I can.

On a serious note ... thanks so much, for all your other tips.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15511 posts
13983 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: Ha! I didn't know that.

I'm only familiar with your penchant for sod, and your dodgy blender Face With Tears Of Joy

And that you hold the fabled CTFS Cash Advantage card. I wanna get that myself, when I can.

On a serious note ... thanks so much, for all your other tips.
N/p.

I replaced the blender anyway. Hey, sod's an inexpensive way to replace dead grass! Haha, I'm not going to part with the Cash Advantage any time soon :lol:
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕