• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2018 9:05 am
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
86 posts
41 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Best deals on Miami or Florida flights

My wife is planning a Disney cruise for this December. Where's the best place to get deals flying out of either Toronto or Buffalo to either Miami or Florida?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2651 posts
1880 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Gamblors wrote: My wife is planning a Disney cruise for this December. Where's the best place to get deals flying out of either Toronto or Buffalo to either Miami or Florida?
When in December?

Any departure/return that takes place after the 21st book it ASAP. After labour day prices tend to go up VS what they were during the summer.

Depending on where you live (GTA?) you need to factor in arrival/departure to Buffalo (hotel stay if required), luggage fees if applicable/the USD and the fact Buffalo has bigger winter weather related issues then Toronto. For me the savings (assuming you are at least 3 or more persons) would have to be a few hundred $ to make the trek. My advice would be different if you are travelling in the winter for a land based location vs a ship that can leave without you.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
86 posts
41 upvotes
BRAMPTON
We are leaving the second week in December to Miami. Probably leaving Toronto/Buffalo on the Saturday and staying at a hotel in Miami for a night. But willing to leave on the Friday if that's when the better deals are. We are a family or 4 and trip down to Buffalo isn't too bad.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2992 upvotes
keenland
Gamblors wrote: We are leaving the second week in December to Miami. Probably leaving Toronto/Buffalo on the Saturday and staying at a hotel in Miami for a night. But willing to leave on the Friday if that's when the better deals are. We are a family or 4 and trip down to Buffalo isn't too bad.
check spirit air for buffalo departures..they used to be cheap but the depart times were like 4 am
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2715 posts
732 upvotes
Whitby
We fly out of Buffalo to Florida a couple times a year. In saying that, we never fly out of there after around the end of November - the weather to get there is too unpredictable at best.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
86 posts
41 upvotes
BRAMPTON
We are going with my brother in law and he's only available to go a the end of August or in December. Hopefully the weather is good that day. Spirit Air is much cheaper than other airlines. Too good to be true?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20033 posts
17910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Gamblors wrote: We are going with my brother in law and he's only available to go a the end of August or in December. Hopefully the weather is good that day. Spirit Air is much cheaper than other airlines. Too good to be true?
Too good to be true ?
Well that’s up to you

Most will be bare bones, but also nickel & dime you for every little thing
Some are now even charging for carry on, including personal items like overcoats & purses (crazy policy IMO)

My biggest issue with all airlines is much more than cost
I also look at dependability... and their safety record

To me those are are the BIG Two... as my aim is to get to my destination safely and without a whole lot of hassle
(I don’t fly airlines that skimp on safety or have a history of extensive delays or leaving Paxs stranded)

https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/spirit-airlines/

As you can see, They do ok safety wise... but pretty much stink otherwise
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1492 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also on the lookout for flights to Miami from Toronto but targeting Saturday, January 12. It'll be for around 7 people. I'm assuming the suggestions given above still apply?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2651 posts
1880 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Gamblors wrote: We are going with my brother in law and he's only available to go a the end of August or in December. Hopefully the weather is good that day. Spirit Air is much cheaper than other airlines. Too good to be true?
Unless you have a VERY good buffer 24+ hours minimum pre-cruise I wouldn’t fly Spirit (even Southwest although a low cost carrier is not even in the same league as them). They are notorious for delays due to their limited aircraft and are famous for the “sorry flights cancelled we will give you a refund”. Bye bye!

(True story: friends of ours were flying down to Florida to stay at their parents condo. Showed up for the Spirit Flight in Niagara Falls NY to find the flight was cancelled and everyone was getting a refund. They ended up driving over to Buffalo Airport and purchased a much more expensive (same day) fare to get themselves to Florida through JetBlue with a connection via JFK. Don’t know if they have travel insurance or not but given they were refunded for the cost of the original flight it would probably be policy dependent)

Given what you’ve spent for a Disney Cruise honestly I would look at booking flights through whomever you purchased a cruise from and see if they offer some sort of “guarantee” (many cruise lines and tour operators offer this free of charge)
Feb 27, 2007
539 posts
333 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Given what you’ve spent for a Disney Cruise honestly I would look at booking flights through whomever you purchased a cruise from and see if they offer some sort of “guarantee” (many cruise lines and tour operators offer this free of charge)
So much this - you miss the boat and the 3k+ / head you dropped on the cruise is gone.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
676 upvotes
Gamblors wrote: My wife is planning a Disney cruise for this December. Where's the best place to get deals flying out of either Toronto or Buffalo to either Miami or Florida?

Cheapest would be booking with Sunwing or air Transat
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
86 posts
41 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Thanks so much. Don't think it's worth the risk of missing the cruise.