Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 16, 2014
147 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best deck wood stain available in Canada

I know there is another thread about the best wood stain available but all of them are only available in the states. What's the best one I can get in Canada? I am looking for transparent stain for my deck.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
Those stains also ship to Canada, but if your not into ordering online just stay away from anything made by Behr
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6952 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
nadvice1 wrote: I know there is another thread about the best wood stain available but all of them are only available in the states. What's the best one I can get in Canada? I am looking for transparent stain for my deck.
Cabot Australian Timer Oil is very good, but like any stain you must follow the directions exactly. No rain 3 days before or after, no application in direct sunlight, use a brush not a roller, no second coat what so ever, must prep properly, etc...
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1236 posts
609 upvotes
The 6ix
Can you point me to the thread on the US stains. TIA
Jul 18, 2014
727 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We just pick the cheapest one. We even mix match brands because we picked the cheapest in any given store whether that is lowes, HD or rona. It all turned out OK and blended. You can't even tell the difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2119 posts
43 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: Cabot Australian Timer Oil is very good, but like any stain you must follow the directions exactly. No rain 3 days before or after, no application in direct sunlight, use a brush not a roller, no second coat what so ever, must prep properly, etc...
Yep. In Canada, this is about the best. Some Americans swear by other brands, but most aren't easily available here. Aussie Timber Oil takes forever to dry, and no rain while it does, but it really is good stuff, so I haven't bothered trying to source the more boutique American stuff. People who complain about it probably didn't follow the directions. I've used it on cedar and pressure treated with good success.
Jan 16, 2008
334 posts
75 upvotes
Calgary
Just to understand, is the "good" US stuff not sold in Canada because our retailers simply don't carry those products or is it because they are banned in Canada (toxic, etc)?
[OP]
Jun 16, 2014
147 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Falcon-x wrote: Just to understand, is the "good" US stuff not sold in Canada because our retailers simply don't carry those products or is it because they are banned in Canada (toxic, etc)?
I think they are banned in Canada.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2014
147 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i looked at Cabot Australian Timer Oil too but reviews seem to be mostly bad on different websites
Jun 1, 2006
566 posts
98 upvotes
NB
anyone here actually use the ac stain (armstrong clark brand)? I was going to pick some up if the reviews are legit. Some one on reddit mentioned all the websites that mention Defy, Armstrong Clark and TWP are owned by 1 company so maybe its not on the level....comments would be appreciated as I will be heading down to the states to pick some up if it is killer.........also, FWIW - are the 3 aforementioned brands rated by CR and how well did they do?