Students

Best degree to pursue in canada?

Poll: degree for more opportunities?

• Total votes: 27. You have voted on this poll.
Accounting degree (work as a Accountant then later get your CPA)

19%
Computer Science degree (work as software developer -see if you can work in US)

81%
[OP]
Oct 13, 2021
3 posts
3 upvotes

Best degree to pursue in canada?

Which degree has more demand, more pay, and more opportunities in the workplace?

(1) Accounting Degree

(2) Computer Science Degree
8 replies
Nov 10, 2019
622 posts
609 upvotes
I know a software engineer who quit as an accountant. Said it was way too boring.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21646 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DID NOT VOTE

More important than Demand, Pay Rate, and Advancement Opportunities …

Is what are YOUR aptitude / interests

Little good either degree will do you if you flunk out, or finish last in your class

When you may have had the skills to excel and finish first in class in the other program .. or something else altogether

YOU NEED TO FEED THE DREAM WITHIN … and worry less about what the rest of the world thinks / says / does

Cuz …

Degrees are important … in that they establish a foundation upon which to build your career

But they are not the be all to end all

What they do more than anything is establish the fact that you are teachable, willing to learn, dedicated, hard working, somewhat independent etc

This is why when you spend 40+ years working afterwards you’ll discover it’s the primary factor to WHERE PEOPLE END UP

Comes down to the unmeasurable … their natural talents, their learned skills, their determination, their ability to network, take measured risks, and work hard

It’s these intangibles that took a kid from a Bachelor of Commerce Degree @ Queens in Kingston to making the worlds wealthiest billionaires list … appearing for the first time in the top 10 … at the # 2 spot for 2021 (up from # 31 in 2020 )

FEED THE DREAM … play to your talents and you cannot go wrong
Plus it means work … will always be a joy, and not a chore
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7313 posts
2309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineering at a good school
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1507 posts
246 upvotes
How about any other degrees?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1492 posts
1021 upvotes
Ripley
I know a CPA who quit to be an HVAC tech. Loves it!

I would have chosen "other" if your poll had one.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23254 posts
4691 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I can tell you, where I work, network security is in higher demand and pays more than software engineer.

From what I've been able to gather, Canada really isn't that great for being a software engineer. If you plan on working in the US, that might be different.

I have no idea what your skills are but like zeddy mentioned, HVAC has plenty of opportunities, and it won't put you in nearly as much debt trying to get certified.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7818 posts
2897 upvotes
Comp sci. Not even a debate.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Jun 10, 2015
227 posts
83 upvotes
Canada
If you are interested in neither, don't go into these fields.

Accounting is very useful if you want to start a business.

CS is very useful if you want to start a business too.