Health & Wellness

best device to take adult's temperature?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14642 posts
4213 upvotes
Montréal

Any suggestions, new fancy gadgets like that gun pointing at forehead, are they effective? Budget <$50. Tx.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Palm on the forehead. Otherwise, under the tongue digital thermometer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6070 posts
2682 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Anal thermometer, just like for babies.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
May 28, 2012
424 posts
366 upvotes
ONT
thriftshopper wrote: Anal thermometer, just like for babies.
After, don't put it in your mouth to take your temperature..............
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13272 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
tranquility922 wrote: Any suggestions, NEW fancy gadgets like that gun pointing at forehead...[snip]
Been around a while actually... Radiation was not discovered until the start of the 19th century and not named infrared until the late 1800s. The first radiation thermometer patent was granted in 1901, and the first commercially available model was introduced in 1931. Many developed nations began investing in infrared technologies following World War II and throughout the Cold War, leading to the rise of modern infrared thermometers. By the early 2000s, affordable and accurate handheld infrared thermometers became available and used in a wide variety of applications.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Dec 18, 2014
218 posts
302 upvotes
GTA
If by “best”, you’re looking for the most accurate device then a digital thermometer is the way to go. The most accurate temperatures are internal temps like oral and rectal, which can be done using a digital thermometer, as opposed to infrared thermometers that measure temp of the ear and forehead.

Last I checked, a digital thermometer costs like $15 at SDM. Small and easy to store. Don’t need nothing fancy for personal use. Please do clean your digital thermometer with rubbing alcohol between uses -_-
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

Lol ... a thermometer.

Like the digital ones very much easy to use. Very accurate
Apr 21, 2017
76 posts
144 upvotes
Edmonton
Forehead skin temperature has no correlation with core temperature therefore it's not an accurate assessment of fever. I love how people use them with 34C results -which is considered hypothermia if it's core temp. Tympanic and oral thermometers are much better. There are temporal thermometers but they're not contact-less.
Background: Emergency Room Registered Nurse
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20079 posts
4621 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I got myself an FDA-cleared ThermoWorks WAND forehead thermometer. Does exactly what it says it does. It can give oral equivalent or absolute temperatures. Works really well.

Image:

I doubt you'll find any forehead thermometer for under $50 in the current conditions, and even the WAND's price has gone up after I purchased it.

Also note that ThermoWorks has an excellent Canada shipping program and you won't be hit with any COD / duty charges.

If your budget is < $50, just get one of those regular mouth thermometers.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Whatever you do don't buy this piece of crap. Work bought 4 of these for taking temperature for covid-19 and not one of them work. It takes 5-10 mins and 8-10 tries just to get someone's temperature. We didn't buy it here but this one unit is sold under many different names and colors but it's the exact same one. The ones we have are made by Smart Fever and are light blue.

https://www.amazon.ca/Forehead-Thermome ... ljaz10cnVl
Banned
Sep 17, 2019
13 posts
1 upvote
I bought Sanpu Digital. That one is cheap and effective.